10 Best Fortune 500 Companies to Work For

best compaines CNN Money recently published a list of the 27 companies that were not only among Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For but also made the Fortune 500. The resulting list is their Best Big Companies to Work For.

We decided to make our own list by organizing these companies by their Best Companies to Work For rank, to give you the Top 10 Best Large Companies to Work For. Taking a quick look at this list, it's obvious that the energy industry is represented in a big way.

With three of the top 10 spots, energy is not only a growth field, but evidently one with several large firms dedicated to providing a positive work environment for their employees.

best companies

1. Google

The world's most famous Internet company got its start back in 1996 when then-graduate students Larry Page and Sergey Brin built their first search engine, called "Back Rub." Now in addition to touting the world's most used search engine, Google has ads, aps, browsers, and a mobile OS in its product lineup.

Most common salaried job: N.A.

Avg. pay in that job: N.A.

best companies

2. USAA

United Services Automobile Association (USAA) provides a range of insurance and financial services to its members. The company is member-owned and therefore has no stockholders. While some of USAA's products are available to the general public, USAA's primary client base is active-duty and retired military, and their families.

Most common salaried job: Software Developer and Integrator I

Avg. pay in that job: $92,853

best companies

3. Cisco Systems

The company specializes in providing router and network solutions, which drive a variety of corporate and consumer communications platforms. Covering not only email and data, but voice and video as well, Cisco's products and services enable a wide range of communications solutions.

Most common salaried job: Software Engineer IV

Avg. pay in that job: $131,716

best companies
4. Goldman Sachs Group

Providing investment banking and financial services to consumers and institutions, the company is a global leader in mergers and acquisitions consulting, as well as securities underwriting. The company also manages a collection of private equity funds, making it one of the largest companies in the field, in terms of assets-under-management.

Most common salaried job: Other Exempt (Analysts, Program Analysts, Associates and Professional Non-Exempt)

Avg. pay in that job: $160,000

best companies

5. Whole Foods Market

Based in Austin, Texas, the supermarket chain specializes in organic and minimally processed foods, and focuses on providing fresh foods sourced from sustainable agriculture. The company has grown from a single store in 1980 to more than 300 locations.

Most common salaried job: Associate Store Team Leader

Avg. pay in that job: $72,372

best companies

6. NuStar Energy

The San Antonio based limited partnership is also a publicly traded company. The company operates 8,417 miles of pipeline, as well as two asphalt refineries and a fuel refinery. NuStar's three refineries have a combined maximum output of 118,500 barrels per day and the company has the capacity to store 94 million barrels.

Most common salaried job: Terminal Manager

Avg. pay in that job: $97,097

best companies

7. Chesapeake Energy

The company is the second largest producer of natural gas in the U.S., as well as a leading driller of new natural gas wells. The company's headquarters is based on a 50-acre campus in Oklahoma City, featuring three restaurants, a fitness center, and an auditorium/theater, with a second theater to be complete later this year.

Most common salaried job: Toolpusher

Avg. pay in that job: $114,084

best companies

8. Qualcomm

The company pioneered the commercial application of CDMA technology used in a variety of wireless communications across North America. Qualcomm licenses its CDMA semiconductor technology and software products to cell phone makers such as LG Electronics and Samsung.

Most common salaried job: Engineer, Staff

Avg. pay in that job: $134,211

best companies

9. Devon Energy

The Oklahoma City-based energy company produces about 2.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas each day. Devon produces both natural gas as well as so-called natural gas liquids, such as propane, butane and ethane. The company is the largest producer and largest leaseholder of the Barnett Shale area in North Texas.

Most common salaried job: Engineer

Avg. pay in that job: $172,575

best companies

10. Intel

With 80 percent of the market share for the microprocessor industry, Intel is the top semiconductor company in the world, in terms of annual sales. Not surprisingly, the company's two biggest customers are PC giants Hewlett-Packard and Dell. In addition to microprocessors, Intel also produces a host of other products, including motherboards and solid state drives.

Most common salaried job: Component Design Engineer

Avg. pay in that job: $106,430

Next: Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from CNN Money

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

6 Comments

Filter by:
Divine Tumenta

Whole foods is great and I enjoy shopping at their locations. I doubt the salaries if they are not corporate.

November 27 2014 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary Nichols

I think that any of these companies would be great to work for, but I would rather work for myself. That is why I started a company and that is why I am heading to The Funding, Discovery and Monetization Conference, September 12-13 at the San Diego Convention Center (www.coastalshows.com). If you have any interest in getting your company funded, then register today - Investors and funds will meet directly with new,exciting and disruptive digital media companies. This kind of access is only available to participants at the FDM Conference and the speed meetings present a chance to move into the stratosphere of success. For details on how to be a part of this golden opportunity, visit our website. You cannot afford to miss this unprecedented opportunity to meet face-to-face with your future partners for successful business development.

September 05 2013 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weedel2

where does nursing rank ??

September 06 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary VanDeCar

What a joke you would have to have a Masters degree for these jobs In which would leave most people out all of them average $100,000+ a year we dont tnink so!!

May 12 2011 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laexaminerjg

Check out the Los Angeles Budget Events at Examiner.com!! Visit http://tinyurl.com/LAEVE2011 today!

May 12 2011 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Have you heard of Daily Referral? It’s a great new site with unbeatable deals at top-rated businesses in your favorite cities. I signed up, and now I’m getting news, updates, special offers, and exclusive deals from businesses I’m following based on my interests. Go to http://www.DailyReferral.com/signup/r48467 to get started!

May 12 2011 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Articles

Top Companies Hiring

Week of Nov 9 - Nov 16
View All

Picks From the Web