Restaurant Manager Awarded Compensation for Punching Customer

compensationOh those wild Aussies! A Melbourne restaurant manager with a police record punched a customer so long and hard that he broke his wrist in the process, and was awarded, by a magistrate, thousands of dollars in worker's compensation. The magistrate ruled that the angry customer, not the manager, "was the verbal and physical aggressor."

Here's how the whole thing went down, according to news.com.au: It had been a tough night at the Boronia Red Rooster. Three employees were no-shows, and the restaurant was understaffed. A disgruntled and allegedly drunk customer started complaining about the wait to manager Matthew Styles, and the argument became heated.

The customer threatened to get Styles fired, and punched a window. Styles responded by calling the customer a a "f---ing clown and f---ing maggot." Videotape of the incident showed the customer walking toward the manager, who raised his hands to defend himself. A tussle, with punching, grabbing and swearing ensued. During the struggle, Styles broke his wrist.

When Styles put in a compensation claim for his workplace injury, Red Rooster refused to cover it, saying he did not honor its "employee behavior standards" and should therefore not receive any compensation. Legal representatives of the restaurant also cited Styles' previous criminal record, which contained several assault convictions, including one against a police officer.

But the magistrate ruled that Styles' injuries occurred "out of or in the course of the employment," and granted him 13 weeks of lost pay. Red Rooster is currently deciding whether or not to appeal the decision.

marinellajauregu

I USE TO SPILL THE WATER ON THEM, OPPS I AM SOOOOO SORRRRRY, BUT THEN I WAS THE OWNER, I TELL MY PEOPLE LET ME TAKE CARE OF IT, AND IN TAHOE WE HATED SOME IGNORAMUS TOURIST, BUT TREAT THE GOOD CUSTOMERS LIKE GOLD, REMEMBER THEY TIP REAL GOOD...........

June 05 2011 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck Smith

I've got 17 years in the restaurant business under my belt, and yes, some customers DO need to be pounded.

May 21 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tara

I have worked in restaurants and wanted to punch a few people. As a woman I have had men harass me and solicit me even offerring me money to meet hem after my shift. This coming from the manager himself.
When I wanted to call the police the management told me not to bring bad attention and just slapped the guy on the back and blamed it on his just being drunk or randy.
If he made a pass at a man he would have been punched.
I miss the days you could punch a man and you were applauded for getting rid of him.

May 14 2011 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Lathom

The employer probably expected him to stand there and take the beating. This is what our overly PC world is coming to, victims have to defend themselves harder in court then they do on the street.

May 11 2011 at 8:03 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jej83

Don't complane about the Vegimite Sandwich

May 11 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ricton738

Hey! I'm on his side. If they hired him; knowing he had a criminal record; then refuse to defend him in a matter of doing his job: Red Rooster is at fault. If I were the manager I would have clocked the abusive ******* in the firstn outburst. NUFF SAID!

May 11 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lincoln007quan

Sounds like Crocodile Dundee is working there

May 11 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hctwins2

When in doubt, punch the customer

May 11 2011 at 6:48 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Sercher

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! Now thats a funny sombi...!

May 11 2011 at 6:40 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
xraybrain

and the restaurant hired him to begin with knowing full well his criminal past? They got what they deserved

May 11 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply