Employee Shoots Tire to Stop Truck Thief, Charged for Unlawful Discharge

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

SALT LAKE CITY - Police in Utah say a man was arrested in a stolen pickup after a witness shot out a tire as the truck was driven away.

Salt Lake City police reported Monday that no one was hurt in the shooting.

But the gunman was given a summons accusing him of unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Police say it all began about 10 a.m. Friday outside a Home Depot store.

Employees of the company that owns the truck tracked the stolen vehicle to an apartment complex, where the accused thief crashed into another vehicle making his escape.

That's when police say a company employee used a handgun and shot at the truck tires.

The accused vehicle thief, 38-year-old Steve Gibson, was arrested after police say he stopped to change the damaged wheel.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Filed under: Employment News
Tags: employee

AP

Editor

© 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Shane

No good deed goes unpunished...

May 31 2011 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shane

no good deed goes unpunished

May 31 2011 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tj

Well because our laws suck for the honest law abiding citizens, If someone steals a truck I am going to ask that person if I can half the money that he gets for it... Forget the police and the law. This country did it to themselves. It is better to be a criminal than honest law abiding citizens because the criminals don't care about rights and our rights being law abiding is getting taken away from us so I think it is better to be on the side of criminals than the side of police. Same goes with whistleblowing and any other illegal attivity, Whistleblowers do not get their jobs back and are banned from their fields by businesses and governments, judges, and lawyers do not protect the whistleblowers so next time I will just ask if I can have the money of the illegal activity then to whistleblow because the government sucks. Today a pharmicist stopped a robbery at a walgreens and the company fired him so even if he legally had a firearm he lost his job and because he was being a law abiding citizen and honest he will not get his job back. Next time masked men come in to steal and rob a walgreens I am going to ask them to give me some of that money too and I wont tell and I will suddenly have a blank mind and will not identify any criminals.. This country did it so since it is better to be on the other side than law abiding than I guess I will do that. Since it is better for the illegal immigrants to cross our border and get money from our government and I as an honest law abiding citizen do not get anything than it is better to be criminal than anything. That is what this government is teaching everybody. So the hell with the government and next time a criminal robs, steals, or what ever or an illegal immigrant comes across our borders I am just going to say pay me some money and I will not see anything and I will not identify anybody.. Screw the government..

May 29 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Captain Quirk

Outrageous. What's this country coming to? All he did was shoot a tire, not the crook himself. And he had every right to.

May 25 2011 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobberpopper

I think the only thing the man did wrong is shoot out the tires he should of shot the man that stole the truck.

May 24 2011 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dddownwitdat

I'm downwitdat help the Police catch a thief, get arrested... next time let the criminal get away. try and do the right thing and get rewarded by getting the best view in the best jail cell, **** the Police never help them or you just may get your own cell.

May 23 2011 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Escalonz

Should be given a commendation, not a summons. Rediculous...............

May 22 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anunnaki

I am entitled to not be shot at when committing an honest crime. Who's idea was it to arm potential victims anyway? This is Utah where people an instructed too turn the other cheek, not shoot at you!

May 20 2011 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dabarnetzz

He'll probably get fired from Home Depot too.

May 16 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amadeus Jones

Too bad he chose to do it in the wrong city. Not too long ago here in Spokane we had a drunk off-duty cop running through the streets shooting up a neighborhood trying to get at somebody he (mistakenly) thought was trying to steal his pickup truck (the one he was going to drive home drunk in). Police leadership and the courts here found that he didn't do anything wrong. I guess in Utah he might have gone to prison (where he belongs).

May 14 2011 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.