Target vs. Walmart -- Which One Is a Better Place to Work?

Walmart Target Attention Target Team members, did you ever wonder how your job stacks up against similar positions at the world's largest retailer, Walmart? Though the two chains may have different corporate cultures, according to PayScale, the rivals' rank and file have plenty in common, in addition to stocking scads of discounted merchandise.

Online salary database PayScale.com recently released a new set of employer information, based on survey responses from employees from a variety of companies, including large retailers. For instance, did you know that Target and Walmart are nearly equal in terms of the gender split between their employees? Fifty-three percent of Target's work force is female, while women make up 59 percent of Walmart's staff.

And though their respective headquarters are on opposite sides of the map (Walmart in Bentonville, Ark.; Target in Minneapolis, Minn.), the two count the great state of Texas, especially Houston, as having the biggest concentration of employees. And, according to PayScale, both groups of employees report that they have been schooled at University of Phoenix more often than any other institution.

Among both work forces, the skill sets are also aligned. Most of the staff at both retailers is well-versed in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word. Use of customer service metrics is also common, however more of Target's employees are proficient in project management and leadership skills while Walmart staff concentrates on developing its sales and retail pharmacy knowledge.

Where the two differ -– but not by much -- are in what they pay employees. Target offers bigger wages for salaried workers, but hourly employees such as cashiers earn the same at both retailers. Here's a comparison of eight popular positions and the median wage for each.

1. Greeter/Floor Sales Representative

7. Customer Service Sales Associate

Target: $7.34 - $16.76 per hour

Walmart: $7.79 - $12.75 per hour

8. Laborer, Freight, Stock, Material Mover

Target: $6.93 - $14.08 per hour

Walmart: $7.35 - $14.90 per hour

As for time off, Target starts out by offering slightly more vacation for workers with less than a year's tenure. Those with one year of experience at the store typically get a week off with pay. At Walmart, it's the same.

The biggest disparity between Walmart and Target are in employee bonuses. Walmart is much more generous for some positions, offering its assistant store managers $2,948 as opposed to Target's $2,457. Store managers at Walmart get a whopping $9,958, nearly double Target's $4,880 for the same job.

There's one other discrepancy to note. More than half of Target employees, 51 percent, report that they are overachievers. Walmart, on the other hand, had only 44 percent declare themselves highly motivated, dedicated workers.

Next:

Related Stories from GlassDoor

All Salary Data Courtesy of Payscale.com

Mike Scott

University of Phoenix is a "degree in a week" and a joke!

December 31 2013 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j rob

this is so far off it's laughable. seriously....check your data for accuracy & make sure it's up to date before you publish. not just a random suggestion. I work Guest Service for Target.

November 22 2013 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris.swanberg

The information is close...but not completely accurate. Depending on whether the Walmart store is metro or rural, a salaried wage of an Assistant Manager can fluctuate between 39,000 and 42,000 starting, but is open to negotiations based upon education and previous job experience/accomplishments.
Second, a Walmart "Shift" Manager makes around 60,000 dollars a year salaried. The Store Manager (or General Manager) makes anywhere between 90,000 and 110,000 based upon the same credentials listed above as well as store volume and projected sales.
Third, employee bonuses fluctuate depending on a variety of different factors. Hourly bonus' are received quarterly and are around $0 - $500. Assistant Managers receive a percentage bonus yearly with the possibility of maxing out around $10,000 dollars, but can be much much lower depending on whether the store meets forecast or not. A Shift Manager is considerably higher and a Store Manager can meet %110 of his/her salary.

October 06 2013 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ωєиdчâ

It does depend on the people that you work with. I used to work at Walmart and loved it the first few months I was there. Pay was not that good, I admit, but my team and current manager were kind. As soon as I switched to a different department, my co-workers were lazy, and the managers and supervisor over that department were horrible. That is when I hated working for Walmart. In my area, Walmart pays less than what Target pays their employees. I believe a Walmart cashier starts at $07.65 and a Target cashier starts around $08.00 something. You either love it or hate it and i do believe that whom you work with has a say in that.

August 23 2013 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bagmandu

wow. Your salary and bonus data for store managers is way off.... I would submit that it is nowhere NEAR the same job for a walmart store manager and a target store manager. here are a few things a walmart store mgr does:
supervises directly/indirectly anywhere fro, 200 to 600 hourly associates and 10 to 15 salaried mgrs.
operates a facility that does 4,000+ register transactions DAILY.... that's right, more than 70,000 customer purchases a month (and that's the low ball avg)
operates a facility that generates bewteen $50M and $150M a year in sales. that's a district for Target....

the jobs are not at all the same, except in title.

August 14 2013 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bagmandu's comment
Nate

Lol 50M to 150M is a District for Target? Having experience in management for both retailers, I will say Walmart is higher volume, higher sales in general. But the average Target does 60M while some do 100M +. A District will do 750M, so I submit your data is is also, "way off".

October 26 2013 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Day

Honestly it all depends on the people where you work. I have worked for Walmart for over ten years and I love it. I live in a small country community and everyone knows each other and we all take pride in how our store does. We have a problem keeping store managers, since the community is small, its not a big sales store and so store manager pay isnt as high as in a big city. Our management team is very understanding if something happens, and is always willing to work around problems. I make a decent wage for my work. Our healthcare is good. I had surgery last year and it covered around 95% of the cost. Other than just a few minor disagreements here and there, I am happy with job. I enjoy working with the people there.

March 18 2013 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aimee Barfield

I worked at Target in the late 90's and it wasn't a bad place to work then. I had vacation pay, holiday pay, and great medical benefits. This was during the Clinton economic boom days, my first pay raise was better than any raise I'd gotten at my former retail job. By the time I left Target, three years after starting, I was making far above minimum wage. It was also a very team orientated atmosphere, when we had a great night in sales it would be announced over the income and we were thanked for our work and told to go pick up drinks and snacks on the house before we started our nightly zone. Our team leaders also never talked down to us. It was only my second job at the time right out of high school but I had a lot of pride in my department. I'm not saying things may not have changed since then but back in the late nineties it was a pretty good gig.

November 23 2012 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hu$tleman

I'm gonna have to call BS on this. I've worked at wal-mart and half the cashiers that worked under me were former TARGET cashiers and they left because WAL-MART paid more. Wal-Mart started them at as much as 9.50 with experience or 9 without.

The people who were FIRED from wal-mart ended up going to target and trying to come back because "target doesn't pay enough"

Store managers make WAY MORE THAN what you posted - they have SIX FIGURE incomes! Assistant managers make 43k.

Also the door greeter position is a LIE - minimum wage is 7.25, no way they can make 6 and some change.

November 18 2012 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gioloverso

@ jesse

target tends to hire all at once. They have a 6 hour paid orientation for all the new workers.Honestly after your 2nd Interview you need to ask them what happens next or who you can speak too! if you don't you will be just added to the list of whoever they have to go through. target will interview Everyone who fills out or calls in.

The Target I worked at is Much better then walmart. Everyone is kind and polite to each other no matter what time it is. target puts helping others above making money or doing your job. I had no experience and they hired me ( im not a prettyboy ). Pay me 9+ and hour. much better pay and work then any of those fast food places and jobs i had over the years. Walmart to me is the fast food joint of super markets.

August 22 2012 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse

I tried Target many times in the past I also have experience and they never hire me. Target is not easy to get hired at they make you jump through so many hoops and interviews and even if you make it through two interviews you still get rejected later in the mail or email. Now I understand wanting the best employees you can get but considering the pay and type of job what's their problem? I honestly am starting to think target discriminates in some way. I see mostly pretty people working at target I don't see very many seniors or average people working at target very much.

Wal-mart on the other hand I got an interview tomorrow almost immediately after putting in an application! I doubt my interview process will be all that much of a chore ether.

July 18 2012 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply