Five Characteristics of an Outdated Resume

I constantly come across the same five outdated resume-writing methods, which keep getting passed down from generation to generation of job seekers. It's time to break the cycle and dispel some common resume-writing myths once and for all.

1. Keep the resume to one page.

Whether you have a one-page resume or a 300-page resume, no one is reading it word for word. They are skimming it. Your job isn't to squeeze as much information as possible onto one page; it's to prudently edit the content to focus on shining accomplishments and the most relevant content.

Sometimes this takes one page; sometimes it takes two pages. Just because something is on one page doesn't make it easier to read. Aim for a user-friendly design strategy with clean lines and information that is easy to find, and stop getting so caught up in the length of the document.

2. Always include an objective.

An objective is of no use to a hiring manager. It doesn't tell them how you will fix their problems or the unique value you can bring to the company. It's generally all about you and what you want in your next job. And hiring managers don't really care about what you want. Explain how you can ease their pain, up front at the beginning of the resume, and increase your chances of getting an interview.

3. Never add color to a resume.

Years ago, color wasn't really an option on a resume. Today, color, shading, bold, and other design elements can be incorporated into a resume quickly and easily to make key information stand out. Have you ever read a marketing brochure that used graphic design and other visual elements to improve their messaging? Make no mistake ...your resume is a marketing brochure. Why shouldn't you use similar design techniques to get noticed by hiring managers?

4. Left justify dates of employment.

Dates were left justified when people were writing resumes on typewriters and there was really no better way to do it. If your resume looks like it was done on a typewriter, that's a problem within itself. Beyond that, left justifying dates is a poor use of valuable space on a resume. Right-justify employment dates and save that space for more important information about the value you bring to employers.

5. List references on your resume.

This may have made sense if you were conducting a search prior to 1999. But now, no one is going to solely rely on the references you list on a resume. Most hiring managers Google candidates before ever calling them in for an interview. They don't need to look at the references you supply; they can dig up all kinds of information about you online.

Next: Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from CNN Money

gransuccess

I need a job today! I am a Spanish/ French and Psychology teacher and need help. Nobady is answering.

April 11 2013 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wthep01

The title of the article is "Five Characteristics of an Outdated Resume". That means, Keeping the resume to one page, Always including an objective, etc. are outdated practices.

March 03 2013 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nils

They won't be able to dig ANYTHING up on me online: I share the name of an NFL player; I don't use facebook, myspace, twitter, linked in or anything similar; I've never used my real name online for anything, even during the brief period that I did have facebook. All for this exact reason. I'll have NO ONE make assumptions about whether I'm suitable for a job based on what I said on a forum in 1998.

August 02 2012 at 12:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nils's comment
Norm M.

You are a smart person. Wish there were more like you around.

July 24 2013 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lies and Pursuits EQ

ITS VERY CLEAR You DO NOT Want anything on the INTERNET about You and I mean ZERO!
WHY give these Bartz and Kidz Running the I.T and H.R. Departments More reasons to Think of the only Word they learned in College, NO. Meaning No more beer for me But if you Have some Marijuana SHJT ******* Aaa Lets Get High Biches! I ahve Everyone under 35 yrs old. You people suck Kunt and Snot Dicks Raw. I anyone over 40 Honestly MEANS it too. You god damn *********** bi*ches and pricks

August 23 2011 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lies and Pursuits EQ

And Another thing, We're go God Damned tired and to the point of PUKE these 20 Somethings running Amuck like They Knew Everything before it was Invented Therefore They Are Attitudes. Every last one of the mohter ******* should be lined up and Blasted Off to Pluto, the bunch of dingbats Dork Dweebs.

August 23 2011 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lies and Pursuits EQ

I Think OdumBo hasnt got a mother ******* clue what it is he's doing. That's pretty God Damn Obvious to the ENTIRE United States right now

August 23 2011 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lies and Pursuits EQ's comment
msuttle1222

Odumbo??? Do you watch Fox News??? I bet you do. That explains your seeming lack of an education.

March 02 2012 at 10:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
undrgrndgirl

actually potential employers can't find stuff about me on the net...too many people with my name and i keep a very low profile...no faceyspace inlinked kinda c.r.a.p.

July 01 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mitchell

[Resume] is French, meaning i don't want to know you or look you in the eye when offering you a job."

April 30 2011 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hiram517

THYE POLITICIANS AND CORPORATES, THEY ALL FOR THEMSELF, THEY SUCK EACH OTHERS AZZ.

April 30 2011 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlene

Did I read #3 right? 3. Never add color to your resume. Later it says you should? How about #6...Proof read, proof read, proof read! Other than that, I liked the article.

April 29 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Charlene's comment
cshedenberg

It's a double negative, read it again. "5 things that means it sucks" 3 is NEVER add color, therefore it means you should add some of the font features/color. Marketing tool, get it?

July 08 2011 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply