Missouri Woman Says 'Cheerio' to Job to Attend Royal Wedding

Royal Wedding It's not everyone who will quit a job to attend a royal wedding, but that's exactly what a Missouri woman did when she was given the choice between seeing Prince William and Kate Middleton marry or avoiding the unemployment lines by staying on the job.

Teresa Cunningham, an avid collector of British royal memorabilia, learned of the royal couple's pending nuptials and decided she needed to be in London for the wedding, local ABC affiliate KMBC in Kansas City reported.

So she scheduled time off from work and bought tickets for her trip to London.

But not so fast, her employer said. "Next thing you know, they're telling me I can't go," Cunningham told the TV station, noting that her employer said they weren't able to find someone to fill in for her while she was away.

"If you go, you're fired," was the ultimatum she was given, Cunningham says. So she quit.

"Yeah, I turned in my resignation," she says, adding that she's off to experience the modern version of a fairy tale.

Cunningham plans to stay at a hotel close to Westminster Abbey, the elaborate church where William and Kate will wed. Still, she plans to camp outside Thursday -- the night before Friday's nuptials -- in the hope of getting a glimpse of the royal family.

"Everybody wants to be a princess," she says.

But her travels won't be as romantic as they might otherwise be, London's Daily Mail reports. Cunningham, who is married, is leaving her husband behind.

Next: Top Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from Fins Finance

mommy828599

She went through the proper channels, she already spent her money for her tickets, she was already given the time off and they couldn't replace her for a week? well guess now they will have to find a permanent replacement for her.... Good for her ! She has enough balls to stand up for what she believes in, something most people in this country are severely lacking!!!!

September 21 2012 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mommy828599

September 21 2012 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harleydavid105

I'll have to stop commenting now. I have to catch my flight to England. HA HA

April 28 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BenGfrorer

The royal family should make her their guest in gratitude over someone giving up everything just to see the wedding.

April 28 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ddiribbons

People like her do have a mental condition called Obsessive-compulsive Disorder. OCD occurs in a spectrum from mild to severe, but if severe and left untreated, can destroy a person's capacity to function at work, at school, or even in the home. They will take almost any action to fulfill their craving......including quitting their job.

April 28 2011 at 12:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ddiribbons's comment
hrtofmttr

And you got your degree from where, Dr.?

April 28 2011 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

I remember asking for time off to go to an out of state business seminar. My boss (mr. know-it-all) told me I couldn't take the time off because he was going to 'save me from myself'. I told him in that case I was goving him my resignation (one month in advance) However, the day before what was to be my last day, HE changed his mind and asked me if I would make sure my work was caught up and would I be back to work the next monday??? Employers treat employees like crap. If this lady gave proper notice she shouldn't have been fired. Sometimes, you really have to stand up for what is important to you.

April 28 2011 at 11:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
harleydavid105

I wonder if she would have quit her job to go to a friends wedding?

April 28 2011 at 11:55 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to harleydavid105's comment
Thithee

Maybe, if she'd already bought the airline tickets? If I was told I could have the time off (the article doesn't really say that though, does it) and scheduled it and bought my tickets, I'd be tempted to quit my job if the company pulled this on me. Especially if my husband had a good job. Actually, DH would be the first one to encourage me to tell them to shove it.

April 28 2011 at 12:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Mel Perry

Type your comment here

Congrats Miss Cunningham. 34 years ago I had a similar situation albeit, it wasn't a royal wedding. I applied to take a test for a Real Estate Brokers Licence. Whem boss found out he said, If you take the test I will throw you the hell out of here. Well here it is and I'm still kicking and he is out of business. You go girl, we don't need ass holes like them. Good luck.

April 28 2011 at 11:53 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Good for this lady. I'm happy for her. Her employer can suck it.

April 28 2011 at 11:49 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
mom2greatkids

I think that is a stupid decision on her part when so many are trying to hold on to their jobs this dumb woman is giving up her job to watch a wedding that is being totally overplayed! Who gives a &#@* that they are getting married? I mean honestly it's not that big of a deal!

April 28 2011 at 11:47 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply