When Sally transitioned from the military to civilian life, she needed a resume that focused on the skills she acquired in the military that would be most relevant to the private companies she was targeting. She turned to Janet Beckstrom, owner of Word Crafter.
Janet created a presentation that focused on Sally's warehousing, inventory, and supervisory skills. This resume is one of many that are featured in Wendy Enelow and Louise Kursmark's book, 'Expert Resumes for Military-to-Civilian Transitions.'
email@example.com • 617.440.1099
49 B Street, Apt. 4B • South Boston, MA 02127
Seven years of experience in high-volume, fast-paced distribution environments in the U.S. and around the world. Knowledgeable about hazardous materials handling, materials stocking and inventory control, and record-keeping, both manual and computerized.
Personal assets include the ability to mentally process information quickly, strong troubleshooting skills, an exceptional memory for details, and a strong work ethic developed during Army service. Recognized by superiors for accuracy, efficiency and reliability.
Summary of Relevant Experience
- Oversaw unloading and placement of retail merchandise in 1.3 million square foot warehouse
- Scheduled delivery, assigned docks and coordinated the unloading of 30-50 trucks each day. Verified and authorized freight bills.
- Served as Supply/Warehouse Manager for military centers ranging in size from 5,000 square feet with 1,000 parts to 10,000 square feet Brigade-level depot stocking 10,000+ parts.
- Managed repair parts requirements for more than 2,500 work orders, averaging 300 per day.
- Maintained 93% accuracy of inventory.
- Conducted manual inventories; utilized Army-specific software packages for inventory control.
- Operated forklift trucks to 10,000 lbs.
- Managed motor pool; instructed, tested and issued licenses to drivers of motor pool vehicles.
- Supervised squads of 5-6 soldiers; trained new trainees and mail carriers.
- Provided support to and communicated with internal customers to ensure their satisfaction.
- Selected for periodic special assignment to research and track accumulated non-deliverable mail.
- Developed supervisory style that facilitated teamwork, dedication and camaraderie.
- Certificates of Achievement (4)
- Good Conduct Medals (2)
- Achievement Medals for Meritorious Service (2)
- Commendation Medal
United States Army • Stationed at bases in the United States, Europe and Asia 2003–2010
Rank E-4 Specialist Honorable Discharge
United States Postal Service • South Boston, MA 2000–2003
Education & Training
Bunker Hill Community College • Charleston, MA
Course work toward Associate Degree
Selected Training & Certifications
- Introduction to Defense Reutilization
- Hazardous Materials Driver training course
- Marketing System [software]
- Sling Load Inspector certification
- Unit Level Logistic System [software]
- Equipment Preparation course
- Operator & Supervisor courses
- NBC Officer / NCO Defense course
- Defense Packaging of Hazardous Materials
- Inprocessing Training & Headstart for Transportation
- Combat Life Savers course
Next: Military Families Week
Related Stories from Readers Digest
Barbara Safani, owner of Career Solvers, has over fifteen years of experience in career management, recruiting, executive coaching, and organizational development.
Barbara partners with both Fortune 100 companies and individuals to deliver targeted programs focusing on resume development, job search strategies, networking, interviewing, salary negotiation skills, and online identity management.
She is the author of Happy About My Resume: 50 Tips For Building a Better Document to Secure a Brighter Future and #JOBSEARCHtweet and her award-winning resumes are featured in dozens of career-related publications.