10 Tweets That Could Get You Fired

tweets fired As long as people have both jobs and Twitter accounts, we will have something to blog about. That's because, no matter how many ill-fated Tweeters go before them, there are still people in the world that don't seem to realize that Twitter is a public forum until their boss reads their "My boss is an idiot" post.

As an exercise in how to kill your career in 140 characters or less, we decided to search the words "job" and "boss" on Twitter, and see what came up. We didn't have to look too hard to find these 10 Tweets, all of which appeared in our first 50 search results, and all of which have pink-slip potential.

On the bright side, at least that last tweeter got cut off before he could really "elaborate," should his business-challenged boss ever stumble upon the above tweet. On the not-so-bright-side, the fact that it was so easy for us to find all of these messages means that there are a whole lot of people out there risking their jobs on Twitter.

Just in case you've forgotten how perilous Twitter can be, here are five examples of tweets that got people canned.

1. Aflac: The ongoing disaster in Japan is no laughing matter ... unless you're Gilbert Gottfried. The comedian -- who is also the voice behind a decade's worth of Aflac commercials -- thought the catastrophe would make good material for some new jokes, which he then told to his Twitter audience. (Example: "What do the Japanese have in common with @howardstern? They're both radio active.") Aflac, which does 75 percent of its business in Japan, was not impressed and Gottfried was fired.

2. CNN: In one of the more controversial and highly publicized Twitter firings, CNN senior editor Octavia Nasr was let go in July 2010, after she tweeted her opinion on a controversial Muslim leader. Following the death of Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Fadlallah -- a Muslim cleric who was a known supporter of suicide bombings, but whom Nasr considered progressive for his stance on women's rights -- she tweeted "Sad to hear of the passing of Sayyed Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah... One of Hezbollah's giants I respect a lot." Her message sent the media into an uproar, and CNN subsequently fired her on the grounds that her credibility had been compromised.

3. Cisco: In an incident now known simply as "Cisco fatty," 22-year old Connor Riley tweeted the following after receiving a job offer from the IT company: "Cisco just offered me a job! Now I have to weigh the utility of a fatty paycheck against the daily commute to San Jose and hating the work." A Cisco employee saw the Tweet and responded "Who is the hiring manager. I'm sure they would love to know that you will hate the work. We here at Cisco are versed in the web." Needless to say, Riley did not end up working at the company.

4. Chrysler: On March 9, 28-year old Scott Bartosiewicz suffered every social media manager's worst nightmare. He sent out a ranting Tweet while stuck in traffic, thinking it was coming from his personal account, when in fact, he sent it from the account of his client, Chrysler. Shortly after sending out the Tweet: "I find it ironic that Detroit is known as the #motorcity and yet no one here knows how to F--ing drive," Bartosiewicz was fired from his job at New Media Strategies, the company Chrysler had hired to manage its Twitter account.

5. The state of Indiana: In February, Jeff Cox, an attorney for the state of Indiana was fired for suggesting via Twitter that police officers should "use live ammunition" to dismantle union protestors in Wisconsin. The tweet, directed at nonprofit news magazine Mother Jones, ignited a back-and-forth between Cox and Mother Jones reporter Adam Weinstein, in which Cox called the protestors "thugs" and "political enemies." Upon learning that Cox was a public official, Weinstein published the details of his Twitter encounter with Cox in an article the following week. Cox was terminated from his position.

So, the moral of the story is, think before you tweet. If you wouldn't want your boss to see it or if it might offend someone, you probably shouldn't share it with the world.

Next: Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from GlassDoor

mnashc

Arianna you socialist anti-American fraud.

May 01 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mnashc

How disgusting, watching this all play out. Now Huffpost controls all news stories and comments. You liberal victims make me sick. Arianna you pig. Along with Chris Matthews, you pink skinned *****. You censor all common sense opinions, but leave all the white guilt ***** comments.

May 01 2011 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mnashc's comment
mnashc

Yeah, the only reason we disagree with this do nothing arrogant president is because he is black. You pathetic liberal pukes. Chris Matthews you are as low as it gets. You politically correct white *****.

May 01 2011 at 3:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
YAY IT'S JEN

to gdmn2find-first of all you DO NOT have to sign up for facebook to comment on huffington post. if you have a facebook acct, you can sign in to that and then connect to the huffpost to comment, or you can just sign into aol.

to dragondancer1814-twitter is not a ''gadget'' like a cell phone. some people use site like these to keep in touch with some people. that's what i use facebook for. no i do not have a twitter account because if i want to say something or follow somebody, i can easily do that on facebook. facebook has allowed me to be in touch with people i haven't been able to be in touch with for years.

April 09 2011 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to YAY IT'S JEN's comment
kzynti

You can't just email them, that why it's only between the two of you.

April 09 2011 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thspoofmaster

I loled at the comment that not having Twitter was "one less gadget." Wonder if dragondancer 1814 also thinks that a Facebook is an electronic book you carry around.

Personally, I have only minimal information up on FB. I don't really have an interest in using it, but I leave my name up and let the site have my email address so I'll get notified if someone finds me on there and leaves me a message. Twitter? I don't understand the point of it. People seem to have fun with it, though, so whatever.

April 25 2011 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gdmn2find

Well, I don't tweet or do facebook. Both leave you too susceptible to becoming crime victims as far as I am concerned. People really need to avoid sharing too much information about themselves on the internet. Networking sites like twitter and facebook, in my opinion, give people the impression that sharing information with other members is okay. To me, there are not enough protections in place to be that open. I like AOL, but hate that the Huffington Post controls the news and comments. If i want to comment on the stories they carry, I have to join something like twitter or facebook. NOT going to happen.

April 09 2011 at 4:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dragondancer1814

Another excellent argument against subscribing to such things as Twitter. One less electronic gadget to keep track of (and lose, have stolen, or die due to batteries not being charged), and more time spent productively instead of wasted on typing your thoughts instead of face-to-face communication!

Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, BlackBerries, iPods, Wiis...all things I don't have, don't want, and am managing just fine without!

April 09 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dragondancer1814's comment
kzynti

Absolutly agree with you.

April 09 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
emmabemma

Twitter isn't an electronic gadget.. It's a website on the internet.
Although I do agree with your main point.

April 24 2011 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply