Eight New Trends Every Job Seeker Should Know About

Job Seeker The Career Thought Leaders, a think tank for career industry leaders, recently released a career trends white paper that was the culmination of dozens of brainstorming meetings held across the world to identify and discuss trends and best practices in multiple areas of the job search.

According to Wendy Enelow, executive director of Career Thought Leaders, "the findings of the Career Thought Leaders' first global brainstorming event even surpassed my expectations -- and that's not an easy thing to do!

The depth and richness of content -- across a vast range of topics related to careers, employment, job search, social media, personal branding, resume writing, and the like -- was phenomenal!" Here is just a sampling of some of the top career trends.

Resume trends

Keep it short. Ten years ago, resumes were two, three, or four pages long, showcasing a candidate's qualifications, achievements, and more. Today's resumes, however, must be short and should only span one or two pages. Yet, the modern resume must still incorporate all of same elements as longer resumes -- qualifications, successes, value, and accomplishments; it's simply written tighter, cleaner, and leaner. Shorten two sentences to one. Eliminate an extra bullet point. Summarize all of the tech skills into one line. You can do it!

Google has replaced the resume as the preferred introduction to job seekers. Dick Bolles, author of 'What Color is Your Parachute?' and a true pioneer in the employment industry, was recently quoted as saying, "Your Google results are the new resume." Today's recruiters are using Google searches and LinkedIn to source candidates instead of trolling job-board databases

Social media trends

Twitter is an interesting and advantageous technological innovation. Job seekers who are active on Twitter can use Twitter to display their resume. All they need to do is upload a copy of their print resume and it will appear as the background on their Twitter page. This is a great tool especially for younger job seekers.

Online identities are more important than ever before. Your online identity used to be something that you could worry about later. Not now! The time to be concerned about your online identity is today, as the vast majority of recruiters and companies will Google potential candidates or look them up on LinkedIn before initiating contact. Every single person -- job seeker, happily employed worker, entrepreneur, CEO, consultant -- must be dedicated to building a strong online presence and doing it now.

Job search trends

Vocational and skilled trades jobs are in demand. There is a huge market today for plumbers, electricians, welders, and other skilled trades people. Unfortunately, there still exists a stigma that those types of careers are not "enough." As we continue to move through this economic recession, we hope that the perception of these careers will change to more accurately reflect the high pay scales, great benefits, and other perks of these professions. College isn't for everyone, and that's OK!

Master job applications are a valuable tool in today's job search market. A "master job application" includes all of the data that job applications require: job titles, employers, dates of employment (months and years), locations, phone numbers, contact names, salary, reasons for leaving, and more. This comprehensive document will be your single source for all online job applications. Do it once, do it right, and you're all set.

Networking trends

Networking skill leads the way. CareerXRoads publishes an annual Sources of Hire survey of Fortune 500 companies. Their 2010 study showed that, of all external hires, 26.7 percent came from referrals, 22.3 percent from employer career sites, 13.2 percent from job boards, and the remainder from other sources. As in years past, the largest number of new hires came from referrals.These are today's results and what we anticipate for tomorrow.

LinkedIn is THE online networking place to be seen.The consensus of career coaches, career counselors, resume writers, recruiters, outplacement consultants, and others is that LinkedIn is now the No.1 online networking platform for job seekers, both active and passive. It is essential that job seekers devote the time necessary to write well-branded and comprehensive LinkedIn profiles, because these sites are used daily by recruiters and hiring managers to find quality candidates.

To find out more, you can download your own free copy of the findings of the 2010 Global Brainstorming Day.

Next: Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from Fins Finance

Bryan Harris

Another great resource is Identified.

Check it out http://www.identified.com?invite=bx7UVVRSkJQiAyjZceQ6

April 15 2011 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fotogbill

One of the most important things someone should have is a professional headshot. But Barbara, Lisa and Tracy the images that AOL is featuring in the "Featured Writes" block are terribly pixilated and extremely low resolution and should be much better. How about you come by my 18th studio in NYC and we do some decent portraits? See my work at www.NeumannPhoto.com and lets get everyone in AOL photographed professionally.

April 12 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
val

I work in a law office and you wouldn't beleive the evidence we get from facebook and twitter. I won't sign up for them for any reason. I have even stopped listening to radio talk shows and watching some tv shows because of facebook. For example Rachel Ray does a talk show, which I don't like, but i do watch her shows for receipes. Not anymore. She does a spot called Lucky You. Where someone in the audience wins something and then someone online wins also. But that someone online has to sign up through Facebook. So I have stopped watching her show and will not buy products that she endorses. Facebook, twitter, texting and so forth ar goin gto be a big part in the down fall of society as I see it. We are unlearning how to communicate with each other on a one to one basis. People don't have to talk anymore they just text or facebook. Well, thats not right in my BOOK!

April 12 2011 at 12:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cara31218

I would have taken this article seriously had there not been 2 major typos in the title and in the first sentence. Don't end sentences, especially titles, in a preposition, and proofread before you submit. t5hat = that?

April 12 2011 at 11:11 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
englishman545

I use an indepth coverletter and 4 pages of Resume, if you don't see what you are looking for in the cover letter then hit the delete key, if you do see something that interests you you can find more detailed information in my resume.'

In management I have been on both sides of the hiring process as the interviewer and as the person being interviewed.

The longer the resume the more information I have as an interviewer to see the persons whole work history, accomplishments, and growth.

If you are too lazy to look beyond one page you shouldn't be in the position of hiring people, you owe your employer your best efforts and the best candidates for the position being filled.

The hiring process is not one in which less is more. You can miss a 5 year gap where the prospective person was in prison for assault or robbery if you limit yourseld to one page.

April 12 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
codeplus2

I will hire no one who acknowledges being on Facebook.

April 12 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
topinbost

Just anonther ad posing as news. Notice how the ad says

Without ever saying exactly WHO these people are by name?? Total scam articel as are most from AOL

April 12 2011 at 10:47 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
pennydanger555

This article tells us about LinkedIn...I will check it out but I'm not that hot on another way for people to retrieve my personal information. I'm curious to see who has access to it.
Do people get hired off of LinkedIn? Or is it another way to "creep" on people you know?
Or as the article states... is it just a great tool for " career coaches, career counselors, resume writers, recruiters, outplacement consultants, and others is that LinkedIn is now the No.1 online networking platform for job seekers," I don't see employers on the list.

April 12 2011 at 10:33 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dragondancer1814

What if you don't have and don't want Twitter? I only get online to read my email and check the news. That's about it. I've got too many things to do offline, so for me sites like Facebook and Twitter aren't necessary. Call me "Happily Semi-Unplugged!"

April 12 2011 at 10:17 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
pilotdlh

I have to disagree with the social media requirement. They are only important for ruling out candidates. Employers only look at these to see if the candidate has posted something online that makes the candidate look bad or would make the employer look bad later on.
Finding a job is all about networking. I've had 6 jobs over 30 years and I got them all because I knew someone in the right place at the right time. My last two jobs, the hiring manager didn't even ask to see my resume.
I am on LinkedIn. I see it only as a way to connect with past business acquaintances, not future ones
Twitter? That's just a method for egotists to tell everyone else what's on their mind, whether on not anyone wants to hear. Charlie Sheen personally destroyed the credibility of that site.

April 12 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply