So, Um, Like I Really Want This Job, Ya Know?

job interview For years baby boomers have been aggravated by young job applicants who use terms like, "uh," "like" and "ya know" excessively, and now there's research that says it's more than just an aggravation -- it could well be a deal breaker.

That's according to research conducted by the Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For the study, they set up mock job interviews with hiring professionals, and then spoke with the interviewers about their impressions.

They came to the conclusion that adult professionals were least likely to want to hire those who used the word "like" excessively and incorrectly. The interviewers also perceived the applicant to be less professional, and were less likely to recommend the interviewee for hiring.

Gratuitous, as well as incorrect use of the word "like" seems to really rub many people the wrong way, and most of those who overuse it have no idea they're doing it. Sentences such as, "So he's like, 'You're the best worker I've ever seen,' and that, like, made me feel I'm like, so professional," could drive an interviewer mad. Surprisingly enough, the interviewers preferred "uh" to "like."

"Ya know?" is another over-used phrase that annoys many people. To become more aware of it, count the number of times it's used in conversations on reality shows like 'The Bachelor,' where the chats are often similar to mini interviews. Or, have your best friend count the number of times you say "Ya know?" during the course of a five minute conversation. The number of times it pops up will probably amaze you.

Next: Outrageous Interview Blunders

Related Stories from CNN Money

Cowcharge

I could care less.

April 03 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsmevern12

DID ANY ONE BESIDES ME EVER NOTICE HOW MANY TIME OBAMA SAID UH WHEN HE WAS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, ABOUT EVERY OTHER SENTENCE. LOOK WHERE IT GOT HIM. ALL I CAN SAY IS, WHAT A BUNCH OF UNEDUCATED PEOOPLE WE HAVE IN AMERICA..IDIOTS ALL IDIOTS, TELL THEM ANYTHING AND THEY BELIEVE YOU..

March 31 2011 at 8:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jax497

How about never using "at the end of the day." One of the most overused phrases heard everyday on TV.

March 31 2011 at 8:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
franky

see what I'm sayin?

March 31 2011 at 8:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Wicks Family

Can't wait to share this article with my class of high school English students!

March 31 2011 at 8:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Miss Molly

I was "like- you- know-basically" blown away by this article. I mean....like OMG!

March 31 2011 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
manhnts2

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME FROM OBAMAS WARS IN THE MID EAST TO ROUND UP AND DEPORT 50 MILLION ILLEGAL ALIENS AND THEIR ILLEGAL AMERICAN BORN ANCHOR CHILDREN UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE AND DEPORT THEM ALL. THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF JOBS FOR ALL AMERICANS AND OUR TROOPS WHEN THEIR TERM IS UP. RIGHT NOW OUR SOLDIERS ARE FIGHTING AND DYING FOR A COUNTRY THAT IS BEING OVERRUN BY INWANTED ILLEGAL ALIENS ON OBAMAS WATCH. THEY WILL COME HOME TO A DYING AMERICA WHERE THERES NO JOBS BECAUSE OF MEXICAN PARASITES.

March 31 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
manhnts2

March 31 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
uli2liv

How 'bout ... Nobody's allowed to do nothin'......

March 31 2011 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hilliaryisfirst

What about these idiots that keep repeating " know what I mean?" If you've ever had the misfortune of watching a daytime court TV show that phrase is heard about a 100 times.

March 31 2011 at 8:04 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hilliaryisfirst's comment
shrril

OOoo that's one of my pet peeves too. Do they think I'm such an idiot I don't "know what they mean" without repeating it every 5 seconds? "know what I mean, know what I mean, know what I mean?" - YES I DO AND i DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU ASK THAT EVER AGAIN !!! I'd not only not hire that person I'd kick them out of my office before they had a chance to go any further than a couple of minutes of that with their s0-called resume.

March 31 2011 at 8:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply