What It's Like to Work at Best Buy

Meagen Nutt Best Buy Although it may not be the most stylish or flattering ensemble, I can honestly say that I look forward to putting on my blue polo shirt and khaki pants every day. It's seems rare these days to find college students who truly enjoy their job the way I do.

My name is Meagan Nutt, I'm 19 and I have been a member of the Best Buy family for about a year and a half. The first few months of my college career were spent job hunting. I asked my friends who were already employed about who was hiring, and applied to several places, ranging from fast food to retail. After each tedious application process, I began the terrifying interview process. I interviewed at a few different places --some even more than once -- and each time the interview ended by the interviewer telling me they would give me a call. My Best Buy interview, however, ended with a handshake, a smile and a "welcome to the team" from the general manager.

The work culture

What I didn't know that day that this "team" I was joining would soon become much more than just a group of co-workers -- it became very much like my family. It didn't take very long to see how close everyone on the job was. The best part was that it wasn't like high school; there weren't any cliques or outcasts. I was welcomed in with open arms, not just by my managers, supervisors and the people in my department, but from the entire store.

What makes such a difference in the atmosphere at work is that this closeness isn't limited to just while we are at work. We all spend time together outside of work. We spend holidays together, birthdays together, weddings, baby showers and graduations. Even when there's not a reason to celebrate, we just hang out and enjoy each other's company. I feel like it's these sorts of relationships and friendships that allow us to work together in such a coherent way. Some of my fellow employees are now some of my best friends.

The one thing that could ruin this environment would be to have managers and supervisors that think they are "holier than thou." Luckily, the managers at my store are the cherry on top of my work-experience cake. The relationships I have with my managers can be compared to having a good relationship with your parents. You respect and listen to them, but you still feel comfortable and consider them a friend. Each manager in my store brings a different quality to the table. Some managers are more laid back than others, while some are more energetic. Some managers are really funny, while others think they are funny (which has its own level of hilarity). The managers in our Best Buy are actually the ones who truly set the tone for the fun, family-like environment in the first place.

I believe the reason Best Buy functions so fluidly is because we have established this family feeling. Everything we do as a company relies on a team effort. Although I work in the operations department, meaning as either a phone operator, check-out cashier or in customer service, I depend on the other departments to do their part in order for me to do my job efficiently.

Division of labor

Best Buy is broken down into several different departments, each playing an equally important part of the whole. The departments are: Operations, Home Theater, Appliances, Computers, Mobile Phones, Portable Electronics (which includes movies, CDs, games, cameras and GPS systems), Inventory, Loss Prevention, Merchandise, Install and the widely known Geek Squad. It's vital that each department is doing their job correctly in order for each customer to be taken care of efficiently.

One way Best Buy ensures that everyone is handling their responsibilities is by keeping their employees informed. All employees take what we call "eLearnings." They are little practical readings and quizzes that help us learn how to best help our customers, and keep us updated on new technology and store policies. This gives us the confidence to build relationships with our customers, and allows us to find the product or products that truly satisfy our customers' needs.

We gain confidence knowing we have been provided with the right tools to do our job well. It gives us a sense of security in our places at work, knowing that we are prepared and are doing the best we can do to make our "family" prosperous.

I would encourage anyone who is tired of folding clothes, asking people if they want to "super-size that," or sitting in a cubicle to look into joining the Best Buy family. Odds are you will won't regret it. Plus, who wouldn't appreciate the employee discount on all of the latest and greatest electronic toys?

Next: I Interviewed at Best Buy

Related Stories from Readers Digest

Alice Albert

I’ve gotten hired for several jobs on SEOClerks.com as an article writer, and I’m generally happy with the site. You’ll find lots of really low paying jobs listed there, but fortunately you can usually just ignore them. Definitely worth signing up for if you’re looking for work.

July 19 2013 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
g

I'vs been working here for half a year and haven't seen anything redeeming. The training was very sink or swim, my managers are very childish and constantly make up rules, then they love lying to their staff and overpromising things they never planned on delivering. It's fine if you just want some job experience, but don't plan on being here long or advancing. The favoritism is based on B.S. numbers and they are selective on who they want to help learn things. The corporate office is constantly changing and making policies that are solely made to piss off customers. One thing they have recently decided to do is make 2 people work 3 large sections. wow.

May 07 2013 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
l0v3ndbasketball

I was recently hired at the best buy mobile in Neshaminy Mall Bensalem PA. At first I thought it would be a good idea, I like phones so it made sense, I applied for seasonal but was then offered a part time position. I have NO name tag, no employee shirt, no schedule, I was told to look up the training videos while i sat in the back of the building alone for my orientation. Tonight I was asked to work and when I came in and asked what to do no one had a suggestion for me, just some young men who were more interested in the girls comming in then helping me. I want to switch best buy's and if thats not possible then quit. and Ive only worked 2 days.

November 24 2012 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Thomas

bestbuy in niles store is horrible. A couple of the managers are nice and know what there doing. Actual store manager and some of the supervisors have no idea and think like this is going to be lifetime career when i'm just working part time. the discounts are awesome. It's just some of bestbuy corporate need to do better interviews when it comes to the store mangers. The one in niles doesn't know anything about the items in the store other then a couple gps units and an ipod touch. He doesn't even know how to work OMS (ordering system for bby.

September 04 2012 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seantwisted

I've been employed by Best Buy for a little under a year (1yr in Sept. '12) and I have to agree with Ms. Nutt - The Training is adequate, I get along with just about everybody in the store, and can genuinely say I enjoy my job. I work in the 'back of the house' - Inventory/Truck/Merchandising team. I tend to be a pain in the neck to please when it comes to actually being content with a job, so it actually says alot.

And It happens to be one of the busier stores. #454 - Westbury, NY.

August 26 2012 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cynicalbbyemp

I currently work for BBY. This store is a turd...take it for what it is...if you're a college or high school student, just smile and nod and pretend to bleed blue and that what the managers and supervisors in the store tell you is law but when you go home, leave that bull **** at the store and keep your eye on the prize and know that an education and drive with get you in a position where you don't have to depend on a shitty place like this for money and be bossed around by people with considerably less intelligence than yourself. -Brought to you by a cynical employee of Best Buy Store 345 in Huntington Station, NY...oh and I'm stealing as well....have been for months, but from the stories i've heard about the crappy store i work in it'll be years before they catch me, and I'll probably have been promoted several times Before it happens...which isn't a large feet because I'm smarter than my superiors.

August 21 2012 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cynicalbbyemp's comment
derpenstein33

You spelled *feat wrong. By you're lack of attention to correct sentence structure, and your way with words, it doesn't seem appropriate for you to be bragging about your intelligence. Also, regardless of your feelings towards Best Buy and the nature of employment, they are giving you a paycheck. So, stealing from them is pretty damn disrespectful. If you want to be a badass retail-thief, be a pro about it. Any idiot can steal from their job. No one is impressed, you slimeball. I hope you've gotten caught. Try integrity on, man.

May 19 2013 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RinFooo

Hmmm where to begin. Been with Best Buy for 6 months. Its a sinking ship. CEO jumps ship, Founder jumps ship, CTO jumps ship. Very depressing place to work. Complete morons in Gee Squad, no talent, no certs, just dumb kids that are all related in some sense. Too many managers, not enough talent, one likes to belittle you on the raido all day. Sell more services, services, more credit apps, more credit apps, more services. you are treated like a commissioned salesperson yet paid 90s wages. Should I go on? www.Anon-Fun.tk

July 22 2012 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BK

It's partly because of clueless employess that Best Buy is losing customers.

May 25 2012 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carlos_shin

Well Best Buy has its days in countdown. It is sad for does who will be joining the unemployment list. But I'm happy that this monster company is going down.

May 18 2012 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annonymous

I have been working for BestBuy for about 2 years in California and the one I work at sucks beyond belief. Their is no advancement and more FAVORTISIM than you can imagine. I agree this place is a sinking ship and I feel like I have to find a life jacket. Some managers act like they care especially when the head people are there but when a real problem comes up it takes them awhile to address it. Even when it's something as simple as getting a new shirt or name tag forget it. I have been waiting for more than 4 months just to get a name tag. And the scheduling is redicilous. I understand the budget suck but try to give hours fairly and when it comes to school, they encourage you to go to school but when it comes to it they always schedule you when your in school than they get mad. You put in you available schedule and they accept it and they still schedule you against your availability. Don't they look at your schedule even if it's generated they have to look over it. Than I hear that an employee is making the schedules. I thought management was supposed to be doing this. And when they hear you blaming them they will retaliate like no other. When they want you out they will go after you they will find any reason to fire you. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful I have a job. I just wish there was better culture and I really wish it was like a family. But my store is not. What so ever.

February 20 2012 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply