Five Jobs That Pay You to Play on Facebook

facebookPeople love social media ... and what's not to love? Platforms like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn provide an easy way to communicate, connect with long-lost friends and see what those exes are up to (you know you've peeked!).

With more than 500 million active users on Facebook (who, on average, create 90 pieces of content per month), 175 million people on Twitter (who send out 95 million tweets per day) and 100 million accounts on LinkedIn (and one million company pages), it's safe to say that social networks have become a craze.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Unfortunately, though, employers don't necessarily share this enthusiasm for social networking. A quick analysis of the volume of content produced on these platforms tells us that there's a large probability some of it is produced during the workday -- causing many employers to implement stricter social media policies.

According to a 2010 survey by Robert Half Technology, 38 percent of chief information officers reported that they tightened their social media rules last year, and a separate survey by the same group revealed that 55 percent of companies completely ban social networking on the job.

So what's a Facebook-friendly employee to do? Instead of putting your job on the line by spending your days tweeting from your phone, or watching your back hoping that you don't get caught playing Mafia Wars, you might want to consider a job that practically forces you to be "LinkedIn" to social networks.

Check out the following jobs, all of which let you play on social media all day:

1. Social media strategist

Duh. This one is pretty obvious, but for that reason, we had to include it. Social media strategists work in-house for corporations, at public relations agencies, or as independent contractors to analyze and plan a company's social media strategy. Tasks may include monitoring and increasing fan count and interaction, and creating content for various social media channels.

Average salary: Since the job is still relatively new, concrete salary information hasn't exactly been nailed down. According to a report by Social Media Influence called "The State of Social Media Jobs," social media strategists typically earn between $40,000 and $60,000 per year.

2. Recruiter

Social media is becoming a huge tool for recruiters, who often search LinkedIn and Facebook profiles in order to find suitable candidates for job openings. This practice is now so prevalent that a recent survey by OfficeTeam found that more than a third of HR managers feel that social media profiles will replace résumés in the future.

Average salary: According to CBsalary.com, recruiters earn an average annual salary of $61,343.

3. Game/application developer

Someone had to create Farmville. Product developers create and build the applications and games we love from the ground up.

Average salary: The SMI research reports that social media product developers earn an average annual salary of $75,000–$100,000 per year.

4. Marketing/public relations manager

For companies that don't have dedicated social media specialists, the job of representing a company in these areas usually falls on the shoulders of marketing and public relations teams.

Average salary: Marketing managers earn an average of $108,580 per year, according to the BLS. Public relations managers, $89,430.

5. Customer service rep

Social media gives customers direct and immediate access to brands. Thus, consumers often post complaints, questions or compliments about a brand directly to its social media pages. Customer service reps must be on hand to swiftly respond to customer queries.

Average salary: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, average hourly salary for customer service reps is $14.36.

Does your company allow you to Facebook at work? Would you be interested in a social media-friendly job? Let us know in the comments section, below.

Filed under: Hot Jobs, Social Media

Kaitlin Madden, AOL Jobs Contributor

Editor

Kaitlin Madden is a writer and blogger for CareerBuilder.com and its job seeker blog, The Work Buzz. Kaitlin spends her days researching and writing about all things career-related and trying not to inspire any of her colleagues’ “annoying co-worker” articles. She lives and works in Chicago, but hails from Connecticut and graduated from Northeastern University in Boston with a degree in journalism.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

183 Comments

Filter by:
Charla Rosa Pitre

I would love a job like that! I could work from home and be with my kids and all the stress of making a living wouldn't be left on my husband's shoulders... sign me up!

November 25 2013 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Kelly

As a disabled vet I love the opportunity to work from home. I joined NGMA (Borrth Georgia Mountain Associates, LLC) on their website www.ngamtn.us.com about 5 months ago. Last week I brought home over $700 in my 2 week paycheck. That's Take Home Money!.

Anyone can do this, retired or not, college student, military souse, work from home mom, anyone!

September 09 2012 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suhasini

I think it's an amazing opportunity for students !

Suhasini
via http://www.imediadisha.com

November 24 2011 at 4:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nay

Interested recent college graduate!

April 05 2011 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rking07

Really interested, but need to work from home. Full or part-time.

April 04 2011 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jheim1490

Hello everyone! My husband works from home! We are a company in the beautiful northern mountains of Blairsville, Ga. - North Georgia Mountain Associates, LLC and here is what we do. We put people to work: single parents-no daycare! disabled-work your own hours! seniors-you are needed! You can work part time or full time. We help you through your training so you can learn how to be a customer service representative and take orders, reservations etc. See our website at WWW.NGAMTN.US.COM and you can be working soon :)

March 28 2011 at 1:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
D.G.Biyani

if there are work from home job really persons like me will b very interested

March 28 2011 at 11:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Heidi

I would love to work on the customer service end of this. Working from home is ideal for me.

March 28 2011 at 7:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Practical Nomad

I think it's a great idea. Would be nice if more companies allowed employees to work from home, it's a win-win for employer and employee!

March 28 2011 at 5:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hlbbet

These kinds of jobs could help more people gain employment,maybe even lowe the unemployment rate.Perhaps the government should try this to help supplement retirees and maybe even help people stay off of welfare and food stamps.It could even be used to help disabled people become more self sufficent.I would apply for the job immediately.

March 28 2011 at 5:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

Search Articles

Top Companies Hiring

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.