Naked Cowboy vs. Naked Cowgirl

Naked Cowboy The tussle in Times Square involving two naked cowpeople has finally been settled: Both can work in their underwear at New York's famous "Crossroads of the World," but one of them has to change a title.

That's the result of out-of-court mediation necessitated when the Naked Cowboy, Robert Burck -- who wears only jockey shorts, boots and a cowboy hat while singing and playing a guitar for passersby -- brought a lawsuit against Sandra Brodsky for doing the same thing.

Burck claimed that Brodsky, an ex-stripper who wears pasties in addition to her underwear, had stolen his idea and turned it ugly. He said she was damaging his brand with an obscene act, including gestures and offensive language.

"We don't approve of the way she's doing business, and we want it known that we're in no way affiliated with her," the cowboy's spokesman, Todd Rubenstein, told the New York Post.

Once that suit was filed, the "Naked Cowgirl," whose stage name is Sandy Kane, filed an application to the U.S. Trademark Trials and Appeals Board to cancel Burck's official trademark.

The agreement that was eventually worked out says that Brodsky can keep calling herself The Naked Cowgirl, as long as she inserts her stage name before or after. In other words, she agreed to go by either Sandy Kane, The Naked Cowgirl, or Naked Cowgirl, Sandy Kane. In return, she has agreed to drop her U.S. trademark complaint against Burck.

So now they're both free to make a living singing in their underwear at one of the world's most visited tourist spots. At last you'll sleep peacefully at night, knowing all is well in Times Square.

Next: The Street Performer's Art: How to Get Started as a Busker

Related Stories from The Huffington Post

Ray

Thjis guys a naked cowboy with a "spokesperson"? Go figure!

March 16 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sirdanster

Maybe they both should just have sex in the middle of Times Square, now that would be something to write about. I'm thinking of going to New York and playing a kettle drum with ****** instead of drumsticks and call myself "The ***** Drummer", just so I don't get confused with a cowboy or cowgirl.

March 16 2011 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mom

. How many frivolous lawsuits is this arrogant jerk going to be allowed to file? I can't comprehend why this is tolerated. I spend 2 months every year in NY city for business reasons and am tired of seeing this guy's sagging body parts. I don't understand why anyone is allowed to parade around the city in their underwear. Trust me, that guitar doesn't hide it all. It wasn't quite as gross back in the late 90s when I first encountered him but he's really too old for this schtick. He's just one more hard living, used up too soon, full of himself, middle aged jerk. But this one looks like a cow with an udder from behind. Anytime I've seen him given money it's not in appreciation of any imagined talent, it's a bribe to be left alone. If he can't be arrested for lewd behavior how about extortion? Just because a few one time, foriegn visitors don't understand the language well enough to know Burke is insulting them doesn't mean he's remotely entertaining. The guy gives NYers a bad name.
BTW, I have nothing against street entertainers. But most of them are fun to talk to because they're naturally friendly and outgoing people, Burke is nothing if not rude and offensive.

March 15 2011 at 12:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
judith leigh

I got to dance with the cowboy a few years ago on a dare by my husband & actually he acted quite snobish.

March 15 2011 at 5:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ordobtrebla

I can't sing for birds...
In fact...When I sing....Bird's usally fly away..
Maybe if I sing in my underware I will sound better...

March 15 2011 at 5:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kahunascottyd

THIS BS IS OK, BUT PERISH THE THOUGHT IF YOU WANTED TO LIGHT UP A CIGGY !!!.

March 15 2011 at 4:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Hold Your Horses

We live right by Times Square. Robert Burck (The Naked Cowboy) is one of the most rude, arrogant people in NYC. I don't use this term often, but he really is a real jerk! I don't know why people pay him any attention at all. He's not a great singer, his 'outfit' isn't even professionally done like a pro's costume would be (Naked Cowboy is written on his hat in pen or marker, as if done by a school child.), and he's not even friendly to tourists (except for pretty girls). He doesn't deserve the attention he gets.

The stilt-walker Demetrious Longshadow is a REALLY nice guy, he talks to all the people in Times Square, he poses for pictures, doesn't demand money, and dresses like a real pro. I'd rather see him any day.

March 15 2011 at 4:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
minister4jc

Isn't the pot is calling the kettle black here? She is damaging his brand with an obscene act? Singing in your underwear in Times Square is not obscene? Give me a break! Both are wrong.

March 15 2011 at 3:19 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
GOBGOTZ

If the cow girl wants to be naked then tell her to take it ALL off!

March 14 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Charles

Oh yes they call him the Naked Cowboy, cause he likes to show us his boy. I hollerd out to Ethel. Don't Look Ethel! Too late, She already got her Yeehahs!

March 14 2011 at 10:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply