I feel for teachers today..and it's the truth, teachers are simply forced to do stuff on their own time at home...Without being paid for it. Had a friend that was a teacher and I use to help her grade homework papers at times. No, Our teachers are unappreciated.

March 09 2011 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Come on...Face the facts. When your a mom, theres no job out here, parttime or otherwise that's worth more than you being at home with your kids. So, unless the hubby has taken off leaving you holding the bag. Leave corporate America until the kids are more grown up....You are nothing but a number to them anyway, here today, gone tomorrow. What's more important?

March 09 2011 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This is not true with most teachers. Teachers spend many hours before and after school each week preparing for the next day, supervising school activities, attending mandatory school meetings, etc. All of this time is unpaid because teachers are paid on salary and considered exempt employees. Plus, most of them must work during the summer at any job they can find to supplement their salaries. Even this assumes that they are not in a district that has year-round schools. I know of no more difficult, time-consuming, or family-unfriendly employement. Plus, the wages are pitiful not to mention that in recent years your job is on the line every year due to budget cuts, and half of the public thinks that you live on easy street and never work. If you are planning to be a teacher, think again and instead strive to become a manager at a fast food place. You at least will make more money and be able to go home without hauling "homework" with you.

March 09 2011 at 1:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Teaching definitiely provides the opportunity for parents to spend more time with their children. My wife and I were both in education, she as a high school teacher and I as an administrator. Although my schedule as a principal of a very large middle school was daunting, I was still able to attend most of the school related activites of my two very busy children. Our district is very family oriented and allowes teachers to bring their children to the school closest to where the parent works or the same school if the child is in that same grade structure. However, I would caution anyont to consider teaching as a career simply for these reasons. Teaching is a tough job and many hours are spent in preparation, grading papers, and attending courses for recertification. The public does not see the hours spent on these activities and can be misled into thinking teachers have an 8-3:30 job when, in reality, many more hours are spent on outside-the-classroom activities.

March 08 2011 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As a PR pro, I can certainly say it's not a parent-friendly career. Who wrote this?? You spend a lot of time "disseminating" that information via computer and phone, and you can spend a great amount of the day on that alone. Not to mention traveling to attend/set up clients' events. And I cannot remember the last time I spoke to a client or a journalist during "odd hours."

March 08 2011 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I am a teacher. I do not suggest you become a teacher because it fits in with your childrens' schedule. It is not the reason someone becomes a teacher.

March 08 2011 at 8:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ms. Jackson

Im a nurse and I disagree,,It is very hard to juggle being a nurse and having school age children. The hospital schedules keep them being raised in childcare especially on the weekends which are mandatory every other weekend..Teachers fair off better.

March 08 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I work and volunteer at my kids' school. It's great because I get to see them every day. Even if your kids aren't in school yet you can still bring your kids to work and your kids get to hang out with you or play on the playground. It's one workplace that is truly accommodating!

March 08 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply