Stacie berdan

Women do well overseas -- in fact some studies suggest 18% better than men. Women can fast-track their careers by an international stint: I did it (tripled my salary and jumped three levels ins eniority), and so have thousands of other women around the world -- NOT just Americans. I wrote about in my book Get Ahead By Going Abroad. I did similar research in 2007 and found that 85%% of women interviewed (around the world) agreed they had advanced BECAUSE of their time overseas. Glad to see another completely independent study concurs. Yes, be cautious but the world is a very large place filled with interesting people and exciting opportunities. See my piece on the Huffington Post to be published today. Go Global, women! stacieberdan(dot)com

March 08 2011 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Where does it say in the article anything about Islam? It says overseas. That could be Great Britain, Spain, Japan, anywhere around the world. I think it is a sad state for women in this country that they can get further ahead in the business world outside of the United States than here at home. Women still make 80 cents on the dollar for the same job as a man. There are more women in government in Third World countries that in our own Congress. Now, Republicans are trying to create more anti-women policies. Cutting WIC for young, poor mothers, trying to control our reproductive rights. Now, we can't even get ahead in American companies. How sad.

March 07 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mish's comment

Mish: By bringing up Muslim women I didn't mean to steer the talk away from the real topic--it's just that islam has been in the news so much lately it seemed like an obvious fit. I agree with you that the majority of countries where American women might work are decent, peaceful locations.

March 07 2011 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The "glass ceiling" is a big fat lie. On the contrary, companies are in such a lather to bow to the god of "diversity" they recruit, hire and promote non-white males almost without regard for qualification or ability. Just ask Carly Fiorina.

March 07 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

How could anyone believe this? Women are treated badly over seas and are more apt to be assaulted because of the general view of woman and human rights!

March 07 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jaba's comment

I would stay away from on-the-street news reporting in Cairo, or for that matter, most places.

March 07 2011 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I lived and worked in Germany as an HR Recruiter and I never had any problems whatsoever...your comment is ignorant!

March 07 2011 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tuula Westra

Yes indeed, working in foreign countries will open up our eyes enough not to make idiotic comments about anything/anybody. That is why I have lived and worked in several countries, France, Greece and the islands, Spain, Italy the UK which I call home, and Morocco. 2 times in the USA, NYC and Florida. I speak 4 languages fluently, yes please you may test me on those.

March 07 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply