Now Hiring: Hewlett-Packard Looking for Thousands

Now Hiring Hewlett-Packard Further proving that if you're a good software engineer, you can write your own ticket, Palo Alto, California-based tech firm Hewlett-Packard (HP) was advertising 2,383 openings at last count, with openings for software developers, testers, designers, business operations specialists, strategic development managers and engineers, among other positions.

The company has been around since before high-tech and dot-coms even existed, and has come a long way since classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage. Now the company they founded employs about 320,000 people worldwide. The company is divided into three groups, with specialized job openings in each:

Personal Systems Group: Sharing 140 billion digital pictures, enabling 70 percent of the world's text messages, powering 106 of the world's 120 stock exchanges -- these are just a few of the duties of this group, whether it's through business and consumer PCs, high-performance workstations, handheld devices, digital entertainment solutions, personal storage or Internet services.

Imaging and Printing Group: Printing has evolved beyond printers. The HP Imaging and Printing Group deals with printing in the home, as well as in office and commercial settings. They work with printing supplies, digital photography, graphics, and imaging technologies.

HP Enterprise Business: In their efforts to take complex technology and make it easy to use in the daily lives of people everywhere, this group develops servers, storage, and software. The team's goal is to help customers get the most from IT.

Hewlett-Packard also prides itself in being green, and keeping its carbon footprint as small as possible. Product designers are encouraged to come up with ways to reduce HP's energy and materials consumption and invent products that are easier to recycle; they have tips, tools and programs for employees interested in the green movement, and they encourage employees to give back to their communities by facilitating the donation of thousands of hours to social programs and community initiatives. HP also has job openings related to their environmental sustainability initiatives.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from Ask Men

deirdreschoeller

I agree with everything said above. They dumped talented Americans and hired Indians with an attitude in INDIA for half the money, but they were not even worth that. Rude, rude, and I .have an ear for languages (speak 4) but had to strain to understand them, and THEY got frustrated. They had perfected the phrase "I apologise" perfectly and they said it so often that I finally yelled "Don't apologise any more, just fix it, and he jinxed my computor, as I had allowed him to take over it. Those Indians are full of hate and revenge. If you get one again, just hang up and demand an American in America to help you with your expensive waranty. The HP product is wonderful, but what happened to the service? They exported it to India. THEY think we are all stupid, because we do not speak any of their many languages and dialects, but HP did not warn us on their product when we bought it, "Serviced by rude Indians who are almost unintelligible". That should be mandatory on their products. I am selling my HP stock that I bought 25 years ago when it was Compaq. Carly Fiorina, take a look at what you did to this company and WEEP

March 09 2011 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dalediamond

How about those cartridge prices! Have one left over when the printer craps out and the the cartridge is obsolete!

March 08 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kfmilstead

I agree with everyone here. My son works for a very large corporation and they too do not know what the other hand is doing. They only want the best educated but then proceed to s--t all over them. The management does not care about employees as long as they get their bonus's and raises. It is so sad when you do call for customer service in most American? companies you get a rude person from another country that does not help you at all. I refuse to buy from these companies any more and proceed to email this information to them. If all Americans would stick together and refuse to speak to foreign customer service people, stop buying their products, their gas and whatever else they stick us with then we would make a big difference. They do it in Europe all the time and it works there. We are a force to be recconed with. I hope they all enjoy what they are getting now because something big is about to happen and they will all be in for a big surprise.

March 08 2011 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BLUEGRASSSCRUBS

Lexmark is another brand name thats farmed out of the Country. They say made in American but its assembled in other countrys and their parts are made in other countrys not a good brand to buy!

March 08 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pokeyratso

God didn't take a dump on us,we took God out of everything!

March 06 2011 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Hilton

Remember all those "words" when you go to the polls in 2012! To find a real job you might want to clean up your language first...especially on line!

March 06 2011 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mskg3

I purchased a H.P. desktop computer a couple of years ago, with everything it cost $2000.00. A couple of months ago it starting actting up so I called good old H.P. and the first thing out of their mouth was '" CAN I HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER " Like I told them, I'll never buy another H.P. product again.

March 06 2011 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerry

I have loved HP over the years. I own two HP computers and two HP printers. What I do NOT love is their service and tech support. Since they have been farmed out to other countries, these areas have become jokes. Please, HP, give us service people who know what they're talking about and who can speak English. Then and only then will my admiration be renewed!!!

March 06 2011 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nails115

The reason companies like HP are hiring is because they laid off many valueable employees to to save money or the outsource jobs overseas, laying off people they should have kept and need to get talented people back. I worked over 32 years for AT&T with the last 18 in IT Desktop Support in Middletown's Bell Labs and in 2003 AT&T outsoured our jobs to HP who didn't have the staff to do the job, so they kept least then 1/3 the IT people making them HP employees to train our replacements and AT&T laid the rest orf us off. HP went to contracting houses to give them our jobs and paid them considerably less only then laid off the many of the AT&T turned HP staff as well as many contractors to save money on the contract. The In-House Helpdesk was moved out of the country and moved to Canada where it was staff by people with Indian accents. Eventually the HP contract was terminated and given to IBM when AT&T was broughtout by SBC. I worked very hard and had outstanding appraisals, bonuses, was extremely loyal, with an excellent reputation for IT Customer support and these companies cared nothing about good working employees. Their bottomline was to save money at the expense of our jobs, while the higher management got big bonuses and our managers where protected and placed on projects and with many making $125k a year or more. The jobs they companies offer pay little and they want the moon from you with on call 24/7, high level education and certifications, with short contracts or temp and they care nothing for the employees while their high level managers rake in big money, stocks and bonuses. They treat people with high technical backgrounds like teenaged burger flipper and no where what you deserve. They big companies are top heavey with managers that can barely turn on a PC without our help, but the IT they treat like crap and/or layoff to save money.

March 06 2011 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nails115's comment
Sonja

YOU ARE SO RIGHT, my son worked for HP for many years, very good at his job, with bonus's etc. Then HP decided to close here & had big lay-off, he was one of them. He was fortunate he did get another job with in a month, been with that company now for approx. 5 years, have to laugh as with in the first year of his being laid off with HP, (new office moved to New Mexico), they have contacted him at least every year asking for him to come back. On his consulting me about it, I told him he would be better off to stay right where he was, not to trust HP, plus he would have to leave the state where he lives. He stayed where he is, & glad he did. I have no respect for HP, the way they do their employees, I do think their products are good, but not to work for. They lay off frequently also.

March 06 2011 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

This article doesn't mention that HP just laid off a large amount of EDS employees after it aquired EDS two years ago. HP aquired EDS and then laid off half the employees. I was one of them after 15 years at the company. Now I am getting calls for jobs at HP, but they can't bring me on for a year because I got a severence package. The company has horrible internal systems to place the employees it has already. They let employees go, and then rehire elsewhere. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The place is as screwed up as ever. If you like working in a factory, you'll like working at HP. Low wages, innovation not welcome...you just go with the flow.

March 06 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply