License and Inspection for Bicycles? What's Next: Skateboards?

license for bicycles Today's stupid employee award goes to a public servant, an elected official --Michael DenDekker, a Democrat from Queens, N.Y. -- who is proposing a bill that would require all bicycles in the entire state be licensed, insured and inspected. If passed, roller skates and Big Wheels are sure to follow.

The supporters of the package of proposed bills claim that the law would enhance "ensuring personal protection for cases such as bicycle theft or bicycle accidents." They go on to claim that since bicycle use in the state has increased in recent years, "it is essential that the state of New York be able to identify the bicycle riders."

Bicycle owners would be required to register personal bicycles and get license plates for them, to the tune of $25 for the first year and $5 for every year thereafter. To get the license plate, cyclists would need to get their bicycles inspected to make sure they "conform to the lamp and equipment requirements." In a separate bill, commercial bicycles would require a $50 initail registration fee and liability insurance.

They say it's not about the money, but it's estimated that the initial licensing of personal bikes would add about $1,875,000 to the New York coffers, and an additional $375,000 in yearly fees. Could the state really be that desperate for funds?

DenDekker also argues that the laws also protect pedestrians from damage done by reckless riders, stating that "if the rider strikes a pedestrian while in the course of their duty, the victim will straightforwardly be able to write down the license plate and [sic] so that insurance will be in place to compensate for any hospital bills."

The one thing the bills are sure to accomplish is the elimination of the eyesore of bicycles stored in entry halls and living rooms. The hassle and expense of licensing them will doubtless override the joy of cruising on them.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from Readers Digest

tmana

Carlton Reid over at ipayroadtax.com has shown that time and again, bicycle licensing schemes end up costing the government more to administer and enforce than the revenues they collect. In addition, they are regressive in that they are hardest on the lower-income population that does not have access to automobiles and may not be as able to afford to take public transit to and from work. They also inhibit children and teens from riding their bicycles to and from school, or on errands, or on first jobs (often delivering newspapers).

That said, there is a definite need to educate those classes of riders of vehicle laws that pertain to bicycles (primarily: ride *with* traffic, be visible at night, signal turns and stops), and to educate or remind motorists to be aware of "more vulnerable" road users (cyclists, pedestrians, motorized-wheelchair users, mobility-scooter users, etc.). As a vehicular-cyclist, I often find countertraffic, unlit cyclist, and whack-a-mole pedestrians (who pop out between cars, expecting to cross the street where they stand) greater hazards than the automobiles and trucks that whiz by to my left and honk at my rear. (That said, I find those honking, impatient motorists a greater hazard to oncoming traffic as they will swing into the oncoming traffic lane in order to pass me.)

March 08 2011 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rwich

Government is a business. It is always looking for a way to improve its cash flow like any other business. The problem is that it doesn't have to earn it. It just declares a need and fills it, and then charges everyone for its cost.

Don't wish you could come up with a widget and then have the power to demand that everyone buy it and use it or you could throw them in jail.

March 03 2011 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Workman

When I was a child; I remember getting a bicycle for Christmas; and I wasn't alowed to ride it; until my parents took me and the bike to the local Police Station. There I took a written exam about bicycle safety, and I showed that I could ride it with out falling down. I was given a bike licence that was attatched to the bicycle seat. The Policeman wrote down the bicycle cerial number that was on the frame and engraved my dads DL-Number on the frame. A few months had gone by when my bicycle was stolen from the school grounds after someone cut the chain and padlock off. It was reported to the Police, and the bike was found with in a week, and returned to me by the Policeman. Lincenseing Bicycle's is a good idea if the Police care to follow up on any violations and thefts etc. It worked for me and I hope it will work for you.

March 02 2011 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill

I hate these stupid Democrats

March 02 2011 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blazer48507

its amazing the disguises elected officials will put on extortion.

March 02 2011 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
i hate dummycrats

nyc elected official proposing bycycle regestration. Bring it on and while he is at it call for special license to use those damned things on streets. Make it mandatory the felon stays right of fog line, stops and stays till green light, stop and wait turn at stop sighns. it is about time and those of you blasting this are those samned damned fools that put obama in office. you show no commom sence and wisdom.

March 02 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John J. Bluvas

Why is it every time there is a bill to Control or regulate anything it is a Democrat at the other end of the bill? They are forever trying to tell me how to live.

In my 81 years on this earth I have seen my life style stolen from me by Democrats and Political Correct ass-holes.
MY way of life has been destroyed by freaking Socialistic Democrats.I need no one to tell me how to live,spend and or save my money.I have done fine all my life thank you.

These Tax and Spend sons of bitches are not at all good examples to follow.

March 02 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big G

THE LAND OF THE FREE MY ASS. HEY! I GOT ONE, WE SHOULD MAKE WOMEN LICENSE THERE TAMPONS. THIS WHY WE CAN FINE THEM IF THEY FLUSH ONE DOWN THE TOILET AND MAKE IS OVER FLOW. AND HELL LETS GET ALL MEN TO LICENSE THEIR RUBBERS! THIS WAY WOMEN CAN REPORT THAT LICENSE # 48576 HAS A LITTLE PEEPEE AND ALERT ALL WOMEN, SO THEY DON'T GET STUCK WITH LITTLE JOE. I GUESS IT'S TRIE HUH? MONEY IS TRULY THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. GIVE ME A BREAK.

March 02 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Since Mr. DenDekker is trying to screw us, perhaps he should pay a penis use tax!

March 02 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

a real good way for new york to raise money would be to make it a law to have a meter on every single toilet even home toilets....then charge $2 per flush...that would raise alotta money or make ny a stinky city lmao....i shouldnt have mentioned this because charlie rangel might be reading it and get an idea from it

March 02 2011 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply