McDonald's Redefines McJob

McJob What do you think of when you hear the term "McJob?" Maybe a part-time, fast food-slinging position for first-time workers, at the bottom of the food chain, that pays next to nothing? The term actually made Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary in 2003, where it was defined as, "a low-paying job that requires little skill and provides little opportunity for advancement."

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

To say that McDonald's, the mother of the term, was not pleased, would be an understatement. But instead of badgering the dictionary icon to change it, corporate officials decided to make a change from within, and see what they could do about the perception of working at McDonald's.

They sent out a survey to most of their 1.6 million employees asking them if they liked their jobs and what they enjoyed most about them. They found out that 80 percent of their employees enjoyed their work, but the perceived public perception of those jobs was only 40 percent positive. "It was incredibly clear that our employees like their gig," Mike Balaka, McDonald's director of Global HR Design, told SmartBrief contributing editor Robert Jones.

Employees mentioned three things again and again: They loved their co-workers and the company culture, they appreciated the variety of work options available; and they liked the fact that there was plenty of room for growth and promotion. McDonald's boiled this down to "Three Fs": friends, flexibility and future.

McDonald's has made a concerted effort to get that message out both to the public and to employees, and it seems to be working. Turnover rates have dropped and business is up, although most of the latter should probably be attributed to the fact that during the recession, more people have been choosing less expensive options (such as fast food) when they eat out. Still, in more than 40 countries around the world, McDonald's has been named one of the "Best Place to Work," since the Three Fs were launched.

If only ealtors could be as savvy about redefining the term "McMansion."

Next: Companies Hiring This Week

Related Stories from CNN Money

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 4:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AtomicWedgie

I hope those 1.6 employee surveys were printed in spanish, because it appears that
nobody at Mc Donalds speaks english. I stopped going to Micky Dee's a long time ago
when some spanish-only employee screwed up my order for the last time. To all you
Mc Donalds "General Managers" at the tender age of 20, when the economy improves
you'll be able to find a REAL job. Or you can join the military and learn a REAL trade
where you don't have to ask "You want fries with that? You wanna supersize?" Oh, and
white people DO know how to work. The hispanics don't own the market on the ability
to work hard, or work ethic. I'm tired of these junior twerps at the deep fry buckets
telling us how reliable and hard working Mexicans are. Take a look at "In N Out" burger
who refuses to hire illegals. You walk in, and the first thing you notice is few to no hispanics
behind the counters shouting in spanish, and as busy as that place is, the white
employee's get the job done quickly and competently. So get off your "only Mexicans
know how to work" bullschidt.

September 01 2011 at 7:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AtomicWedgie's comment
bchmonkeyocboy

u r def. miserable. I own a business and Mexican's appreciate any job and for you not to respect them for their contrbutions to the unfavorable positions of most Americas shows a lack of compansion and respect. I bet ur in a bad marriage and hate ur mother.. Now let me go and get a Big Mac. so sorry about your hateful attitude..there has to be a support group out there somewhere...google it and best of luck

November 01 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raul

Want to start your own Home business . Now you can zero start up . And make enough money that you can retire in 24 months . And when you sign up . They even give you a free web site to promote your new business . No monthly charge for the site . Go to www.retireby2014.com Watch the videos they will explain everything . Then get on my Waiting list . I will contact you as soon as I can get you in .mment here

June 26 2011 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jasmine

i started working for mcdonalds when i was 15..I started as an order taker. Now that i am 20 I am a resturant manager which means i basically oversee all points of operation at my own store. i would say i choose corperate over fraanchise though because of better benefits and growth opertunities

March 02 2011 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharkx26

even though you complain about mcdonalds being like lil mexico they still eat there! what a joke, learn spanish / deal with it or shut up and thank pablo for his time. mexicans are not lazy people they appriciate work,just think with all that room for growth it will be mexican owned in 20 yrs or so :) enjoy your mc double senior.

March 01 2011 at 12:12 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
robert

americans are lazy. that is why you find spanish speaking people at mcds. we hire americans and all they do is call out and not show up steal company time and cause drama he said she said stuff. i am a caucasian male and a general manager for mcds. i would take store full of spanish people than americans.

March 01 2011 at 11:36 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to robert's comment
Heather

I wish the McDonalds haters would please go work a week at one...IF you can. I have seen adults come to the office in tears that it was too hard. It used to be embarrasing if you were unemployed...people didn't want take money from other taxpayers, not use the recession as an excuse as to why they can't find a job. They would rather get on disability with some vaugue "back pain" bs and accept food stamps, WIC, live in a dump than work hard. Hey, life IS hard. Work hard, and it will get better.

March 01 2011 at 6:35 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Yea, there are so many Mexicans there because they can actually appreciate a job, any job, while spoiled American teenagers would rather text on a cell phone than earn some money.

March 01 2011 at 11:11 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Heather's comment
robert

agreed so true

March 01 2011 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kfc sucks

My wife and I met while working at Mcdonalds and that is the only positive experience either of us had there. Yes we loved our co-workers but working for that corporation is a fate worse then death. My wife spent 10 years climbing the ladder and they were constantly telling her and her co-workers that they had to perform better or "people are waiting for their jobs". Eventually she told them, "really? let em have it"! After all she had made her store more profitable then it had ever been, faster friendlier service, sales grew tremendously, all while the economy was tanking. Yet it was never good enough. She works for a mom and pop operation now, makes twice as much and is appreciated like you wouldn't believe. NEVER WORK FOR MCSATAN

March 01 2011 at 7:31 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
FRKCHICAGO

Surrveys can come out anyway you want them too. Lets just say I have an idea about the fast food culture. No way in HELL,80% of the people working in fast food restaurants have a POSITVE feeling about their job.Ill repeat that, "NO WAY in HELL do 80% of the people working in fast food restaurants have a POSITIVE feeling about their job".

February 28 2011 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to FRKCHICAGO's comment
nora

my brother started working at Mcdonalds flipping burgers when he was 16. now he's director of operations. room for advancement? what do you think?

February 28 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ron

yeh the corporate chain employees are happy with there job. But the franchise chain employees are treated like crap.

February 28 2011 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ron's comment
rbwm

What's the difference between corporate vs. franchise employees? How is the franchisee able to dump on their employees without corporate intervention? Is it the same with other franchises like BK, Waffle House, etc?

February 28 2011 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I work for a McD's franchise owner/operator, she's second generation. Her dad DID start flipping burgers, but eventually owned his own 4 stores, that his daughter now runs, and we get treated pretty well. Best part? I haven't been out of a job in more than a decade, and didn't lose my house during these last, miserable years. Last Christmas, I got a really good bonus, and there were other employees who even got better ones than myself. Quit hating McDonalds. Part if the problem with Americans is we think we are OWED an easy, high paying job that we can sit on our fat arses in front of a computer on Facebook all day. Well, than we really need to STOP breeding so much. We like to blame TEACHERS before parents as far as education and learning go. We pay athletes to play and people that entertain more than the people who teach our kids how to read, science, math, etc. When I get bummed that I don't have a 2,ooo square foot home and truck younger than the 1995 Toyota that I have, I just tell myself how lucky I am that I live where I do and not in Haiti, or Korea, or Iraq, and I have no complaints!

March 01 2011 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.