'Star Wars' or 'Star Trek'? Questions You Just Might Hear in the Interview

interview questions As someone who doesn't know a Klingon from a Jedi, I've watched in bewilderment as friends have debated which franchise is superior: 'Star Wars' or 'Star Trek.' Normally, I feign interest for a few minutes and then tune out when someone begins to imitate Yoda. The next time I'm in this situation, I might start taking notes instead.

Interviewers, tired of asking the same old questions again and again, are posing unique interview questions to job seekers. Some of of which, seemingly have no right answer. Job seekers have reported being asked which they prefer, 'Star Wars' or 'Star Trek.' We're not talking about the usual head scratchers or about jobs where this information is relevant, such as at a comics store or special effects studio. No, organizations of all sizes, and in a variety of industries, are posing unusual questions to their interviewees.

Zappos.com, the online shoe seller known for its relaxed culture and quirky employees, has one of the more interesting applications you're likely to see. According to Christa Foley, a recruiting manager for the company, you might be asked any of the following:

• If you were a superhero, who would you be and why?
  • If every time you entered a room your theme song played, what would it be and why?
  • On a scale of 1-10, how weird are you? Why did you choose that number?
  • What was your best MacGyver moment?
  • If you saw someone steal a quarter, would you report it? If not, what dollar amount would you report?

Unusual, right? Aside from the last question, which conceivably factors in your trustworthiness, the others are fun and allow you to be creative. These brain teasers are usually used so that employers can see how your mind works, but they also make you wonder if the interviewer is taking you seriously or just messing with you.

What to say

We've dispensed a lot of advice when it comes to handling interview questions and asking them. But sometimes even we can't give you the right answers for truly unorthodox questions. As with brain teasers, these weird questions don't always have a right or wrong answer.

As a rule, you should approach unusual interview questions with the following mindset:

• Is it illegal or unethical? If so, feel free to stand up and walk out. (You don't want to work for that kind of boss, do you?)
  • Is there a right or wrong answer?
  • What is my answer? Why?
  • Why didn't I choose the other options or answer differently?

What matters is that you answer the question and articulate your reasoning. You can't predict how the interviewer will react, so the best you can do it answer confidently. If the interviewer cringes when you say 'Star Wars' instead of 'Star Trek' and shows you out of the interview room, you're not to blame.

Here are some true-life questions job seekers have been asked while interviewing.

Creative Interview Questions

"I was once asked what I would bring if the department had a potluck." -- Amanda L.

"If you were a sea creature, what would you be and why?" -- Jay D.

"What color is your brain?" -- Connie B.

"If you were a professional wrestler, what would your stage name be?" -- Alyssa Giustino, KEH Communications

"How many airplanes are in the skies over the US right now?" -- Timothy R. Yee, Green Retirement Plans, Inc.

"How would you open the locked and sealed window in this hotel room?" -- Yee

"I was asked, if I went to the moon and can only bring three things, what would I bring? Oxygen and food were already provided. I said my bed -- had a great mattress then -- my friends and a dog." -- Cindy Holtzman, Medical Refund Service, Inc.

Bewildering Interview Questions

"I was asked if I knew how to make explosives, [right] after 9/11, in an interview for an administrative assistant position." -- @danileo1

"What kind of car do you drive?" -- Susan C.

"Will you file my fingernails?" (For a position at a church.) -- Autrey K.

"I interviewed for a [job] waiting tables and the manager wanted to know how I would eat an ice cream cone." -- Peggy M.

"I was asked what my grade point average was in college. I have a B.S., M.S., Ph.D. and spent two and a half years as a postdoctoral scholar in a government research lab." -- Charles T.

"If you had been on the Titanic would you have been in a rowboat, on the ship, or freezing in the water? If you were a Spice Girl, what would you call yourself? How would you feel about doing small personal errands like dog-sitting or buying gifts for my 'lady friends?'" (All from the same interview.) -- Trina Rimmer, TrinaRimmer.com

"I was asked what I did the day prior from the moment I got up until the moment I went to bed." -- Moisés I.

"Who won the Super Bowl last year?" -- Kevin D.

Illegal, Unethical (or potentially both) Interview Questions

"So, are you married or whatever?" -- @KYProgressive

"Kids, you don't have one of those, do you?" -- Lois C.

"Have you ever used state assistance?" -- Katie L.

"Do you have migraines? Do you have small children? Do you like long vacations?" -- Krishna S.

"Do you attend church? What is your denomination?" -- Katie B.

"Do you spank your child?" -- Karen

"The strangest question I received was in regards to astrology. He was a real estate agent and wanted to know the date, time and where I was born. He wanted to see if we were a match. Needless to say I didn't get the job." -- Teresa Turner, Examer.com

Tricky Interview Questions

"Are you gonna stay or just practicing for the next job?" -- @soyflz

"Where do you see yourself globally?" -- Andrew B.

"What is a secret about you that no one knows?" -- Daniel S.

"If we were in a party, which guy would I be, the shy guy sitting alone or rocking on the dance floor?" -- Elio T.

"If we asked you to wear a bumble bee costume, walk around and hand out candy to employees, would you do it?" -- Lisa M.

I was asked "If you opened your sock drawer, what would it look like?" -- Nancy Dahl. SheTaxi

"So if I were to go out and get a few drinks with your friends, what would they tell me about you?" -- Kristin Rose

Amusing Interview Questions

"What is your favorite movie?" -- @DMRyan711

"What's the funniest Youtube video you have seen lately?" -- @byuboston

"What wine do you drink? What is your favorite bouquet?" -- @Durudarshan

"Which Winnie the Pooh character do you relate with the most and why?" -- Celie H.

"If you were a Disney character, what character would you be and why?" -- Jayne S.

"If a movie was made about your life, who would play you and why?" -- @tofuti2001

"If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" -- Jerry H.

"I was once asked if my closet was organized" -- Crissy Landreth

What have we learned? First, employers shouldn't be asking about an employee's family planning, so that needs to stop. But we also learned that you can't only prepare for the standard interview questions anymore. When you're practicing your handshake and ironing your clothes the night before the interview, think about how you would react to these unexpected questions.

Or have you already been on the receiving these questions? 'Star Wars' or 'Star Trek?' Leave us a comment and let us know what odd questions you've been asked and how you answered them.

Next: 'What is Your Weakness' and Other Tough Interview Questions

Top Stories from AOL Travel

Related Stories from CNN Money

truck427

Type y Kate ............if you did some dectective work ....................here on Long Island you would earn $200,000.00 a year with the suffolk county police department!!!!!

February 11 2013 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danthemankandy

I was once asked what my favorite animal was. I said a lion and received no follow-up phone call =/

August 15 2011 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seaview20

ok - I'm a recruiter: You're all wrong here - ok? Lets just say that your daddy working for the creator of Star Trek won't get you a job. And knowing the differences between Star Trek and Star Wars is a good thing but discussing the differences is NOT what they want to hear. ok Bob? (and boys and girls)
But what you do say is that you don't like to argue between good and evil nor do you discuss religions nor politics but you do like discussing current events such as todays assignments. This way you are giving an intelligent answer, because it says a lot about you if you don't like to argue and especially if you don't want to discuss religion or politics which is illegal to discuss and then it says that you are paying attention to the boss. You need to keep it short and to the point and somewhat intelligent rather than go on and on (boring, yawn) with the differences between Star Wars and Star Trek. They don't gives a rats pimple of how you gathered your buddies to watch either show. Ok Bob? Don't copy Bob. Please don't! He's intelligent gathering but leading you to the short end of a pier. --Recruiter.

July 22 2011 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stw

Our current boss has been with the company for just 4 months. In interviews she asks, "are you a hunter or a farmer?" She is a city person and I dare say she has never seen a garden, farm animal, gun or wildlife out side of Wild Kingdom. The company is located in a rural area in the midst of farm land. I'm tempted to respond with, " how 'bout a farmer that hunts down trespassers?"

July 22 2011 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

Any Scifi series is just taking the human condition and putting it into a fantasy world. Star Trek was always about real events going on in the world being told in a futurustic way. Star Wars is about our Spiritual side, the battle between good and Evil. They are both great and comparing them is like comparing Apples to Oranges. I choose both. Tell that to a recruiter and watch the job offers roll in.

March 04 2011 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mpchagnon

I was once asked in an interview if I was a Republican or a Democrat. I responded, as politely as I could, that the question was illegal and subject to criminal prosecution. I then proceeded to answer the question with an explanation of my choice. I got the job (I think because the manager at that point was afraid not to hire me); but it actually turned out to be a pretty good job. By the way, he was seated on a raised platform behind a large desk, and I was seated below and in front of him in a rickety old chair with the front legs shortened. It's called a "stress interview" and I used some of the same tricks in interviews as a police chief. Another technique is to ask the person to tell you about themselves and then just sit there quietly and ask no questions. You'd be amazed an what they will reveal.

March 04 2011 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

Well, I pick Star Trek. My dad helped build for AMT Geene Rodenberry's first Shuttle Craft NCC-1700/7 Galileo. So, when I was a kid I started watching the show. AMT threw away the molds for the seats and threw the years my dad gave them to me. Threw the years I learned how to do the same things my dad did. Design, proto-type, molds and parts. Thank you Geene Rodenberry for your visions of what could be.
One day America will have to stop the commie, socialist, "if it feels good degradation of our children" and start to teach them tools that will inspire them to learn and create a new world where SiFi becomes reality. For example; I use water as a fuel, and I have started a new motor build that will turn a generator with out fuel or wind. The new industry will provide millions of jobs, real green jobs. It will take faith, funding and a plan to change ...
I find that most people don't care about what could be, what will be or has become. Free energy is the same, Al Gore was contacted and so was Oprah and The White House and many others, there is no real interest in change, that will so many claim to care. You see, it's about the money to them and for them. They can live good threw your donations, but to really change from big oil, no way, if it ever happens they would have to adapt to "stop the breathers from taking the oxygen for the air" that tree needs it.

March 03 2011 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. A. Davis

Interviewing with a law firm, I was asked what team sports I played. Since I hadn't played any since high school, I told them I was focused on my career rather than sports. I didn't get the job. Later I found out the firm had several intramural teams and the partners were really into a pseudo-macho competition with other firms.

March 03 2011 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

So, my question again is, would you rather be Han Solo, cruising in your own Millennium Falcon (your own personal ride) or be couped up in the Enterprise (space bus) full of regimental command? God forbid you're the one on the Enterprise wearing the red shirt...we know how that always ends.

March 03 2011 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

Has anyone here ever considered the political and governmental arena surrounding the world of both Star Trek and Star Wars? And Does anyone here see the parallel of Star Wars and the way our world is today? Would you rather be a part of the Rebal Alliance fighting against the tyrany of the Galatic Empire (NWO) or be a part of the Federation Starship (NWO)?

March 03 2011 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply