I also had a car stolen in front of my house years ago. I went to pick up my son from school for lunch and it was a very cold day in winter and I went out to pick him up and it was gone! He ended up walking home and he was upset when I wasn't there to pick him up. Poor kid. He asked me why I wasn't there to pick him up and I told him I had no car cause it was stolen!! I called the police to report it stolen and they said can you come to the station to fill out a report? I said sure, how can I drive down there with no car?! Fortunately they found my car but the steering wheel was all busted up so I had to pay to get it fixed plus pay impound fees! They found my car cause the guy used it for an attempted robbery! Talk about dumb criminals!!

February 23 2011 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Not surprised. Years ago when I worked the overnight shift at a Balto hospital, my car was broken into on the parking lot. Not only would the lazy security guards not review the surveillance tapes for me, the female city police officer who came to the scene wouldn't even write me a report. It was all her worthless butt could do to roll out of the car to write her name amd badge # on a slip of paper for me, telling me, "Attempted car theft is not high on their list of priorities". On the ground next to the driver's door, there was a beer bottle that wasen't there when I arrived at work, and inside the car, alongside the drivers seat was a screwdriver. When I asked her if she was going to take those items to process for prints, she rolled her eyes and told me in a very condescending voice, "No, Columbo, the real world ain't like tv". When I later called to report her ignorance to her Lt., he was just as ignorant, telling me, "Get upset all you want, but if police spent all their time chasing attempted car thieves, they would never get any real work done".
There you go folks - our tax dollars hard at work!

February 23 2011 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Guess where they found MY stolen car (2nd time)? In the big empty lot right next door to the police station ! But the police found it themselves...right? No, it was reported by a neighbor who had taken their dog for a walk. There my car sat, with the convertible top down, sitting up on blocks (because they had stolen the tires and wheels), as obvious as the nose on your face. So you would have thought, that at least ONE of the employees of the police station would have seen it sitting there...right? I mean you would have had to have been blind to have not noticed it sitting there!

February 23 2011 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

no one ever said criminals are smart. smartest one i've heard of in a long
time was mr. madhoff.........he stole billions and still got caught.

February 23 2011 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Another example of how useless the police have become. They are not interested in solving crimes or arresting perpetrators, they are most interested in writing tickets. Let's face it, catching thieves doesn't bring in any revenue. In fact, it costs money to process and hold them. So police are directed to spend most of their time doing things that generate revenue. It's a screwed up system.

February 23 2011 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I was robbed 9 times by one kid who admitted it to me. My house 4 times, my truck emptied 5 times, all with windows broken out. Police told me that's not evidence, it's heresay. Even though he'd comitted many dozens of robberies in the neighborhood as far as I know he was never arrested.

February 23 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry W. Bruce

This guy should apply for a job with all the other criminals from AIG, Goldman Saks, Freddie Mac and the Obama administration.

February 23 2011 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I had my 85 chevy 3/4 ton stolen from the street in front of my house. We called the cops and they took out infromation down then said "Well They are probably somewhere down in Dallas so we probably wont ever find them". We got in my other car and drove up and down every street in Lewisville. I actually found my car 2 hrs later about 1 mile from my house sitting in front of someones house. To top it off there was a guy working on another 80s model truck in front of mine! I called the cops and they came down and did nothing but accuse me of stealing my own truck and of false reporting. Couldnt believe them!

February 23 2011 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I am amazed what a lethargic response I've gotten over stolen cars by the police. I'm sure it encourages car thieves everywhere.

February 23 2011 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rod's comment

Many years ago in LA, my girlfriends car was stolen from in front of a friends house. When the cops came to take the report, they eyed some bottle rockets (fairly safe fireworks) on the counter. One commented "You know these are illegal and we could cite or arrest you for them." Anyhow, about a week later, I spotted the car in a parking lot as two punks were about to get in the car. I threatened them and called the police, who came and recovered the car. The next day, a detective called my girlfriend and told her "It's your lucky day - we found your car." What a joke!!

February 23 2011 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Maybe the car thief isn't as dense as first appears. It's possible that the thief planted the suspect's resume as a cover-up. Give the Canadian cops a little credit for not immediately jumping to the simple conclusion - unlike Lisa, the author of this article.

February 23 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Troopa's comment

Yeah, I always carry around someone else's resume to, you know, plant as evidence while I'm out stealing a car. Wow. How much does one have to drink in order to come up with that scenario as a possibility?

February 23 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply