Alaska Air Group Employees Split $72 Million in Bonuses

Alaska Air Group Not all multi-million dollar bonuses go into the pockets of corporate fat cats. Here's news of one American company that divides millions of dollars worth of annual bonuses among its employees. Just last week Alaska Air Group paid record annual bonuses totaling $72 million to nearly all of its 12,600 employees, because they helped the company exceed their 2010 operational and financial goals.

But wait ... there's more. That bonus, which comes out to be about 9 percent of each employee's salary, or more than one month's pay for most, is in addition to $1,000 to $1,200 in monthly bonuses each employee earned last year for achieving on-time and customer satisfaction targets. The monthly and annual bonuses combined amounted to $85 million, company-wide.

"Our company enjoyed a banner year marked by record financial results, being the No. 1 on-time major airline in North America and winning our third straight J.D. Power award for customer service," said Bill Ayer, Alaska Air Group's chairman and chief executive officer." The outstanding efforts of our employees are at the heart of our success."

Most of those bonuses are being paid to employees in the Pacific Northwest, where the company is based. Nearly $44 million in bonuses (61 percent of the total) is being paid to some 6,000 Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air employees in the Puget Sound area. Another $10.7 million is being paid to employees in the Portland, Ore., area while $7.6 million is going to other workers throughout the state of Alaska. That should bring a dose of sunshine to a predominantly cloudy area!

Next: Top Companies Hiring

Doug

What is up with this? People flying on these airlines are getting ripped off by all these new & excesive fees, and we should be happy that airlines ripped off enough of us to "spread the wealth"? And Banks are "back to normal" on this too: screwing the depositors & giving themselves big bonuses. GM is also pulling this.

February 20 2011 at 3:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine Lewis

OK Jim, fair point.

February 20 2011 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I think it's great that Alaska Air is putting their profits in the pockets of the rank and file, but I live in Juneau where they pretty much have a monopoly on air travel, and the prices are absolutely outrageous!!! A roundtrip to Seattle is close to $600 each and every day. And that is one of the shortest hops to take. I would love to take weekend trips to various places, but I can never afford to because of the high cost of flying.

February 20 2011 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ROBI HUTTON

WOW! That is GREAT! I will definitely go out of my way to book a flight on Alaska. I worked for United, the unfriendly skies, and they treat their employees like sh$t. I hurt my back on the job and was kicked to the curb...and of course, the gov is paying my disability. It should be the UAL Corp taking responsibility, but OOPPS, gotta pay those fat cats at the top. OH ya, we got profit sharing, Umm the most I got was $130. But multi-millions went to management, oh, that's multi-millions EACH.

I'm studying to be a teacher so I can get off dis-ability and teach the youngings ethics...like the kind these Corporations don't understand these days. YOU GO ALASKA-KEEP TAKING CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES AND I WILL DEFINATELY MAKE YOU MY FIRST CHOICE.

February 20 2011 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lane

If every company worked like this, people would work harder and be happier than what most of us see everywhere today. Bravo to Alaska Air, a company that almost seems like a lone company in its appreciation of their employees. Let this be a lesson for all managers and owners. This stuff works. You get more bees with honey than vinegar

February 20 2011 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob

nice to see a company that recognizes the hard work of it's employees.

February 19 2011 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dlee

As a travel agent I have to commend Alaska Air for their success. They are my favorite airline and provide wonderful service. A++++++ kudos to them!!

February 19 2011 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine Lewis

Good to hear this it is so nice to know that employees are appreciated and valued.
Thanks AA.

February 19 2011 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Catherine Lewis's comment
lalonde1

Please don't use "AA". Most people will think that is American Airlines.
After what American did to St Louis, I doubt if I'll ever fly them again.
I can always go to some other hub to get anywhere.

February 19 2011 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert J Aguilar

Bravo Alaska Air Lines for showing that you can share your profits with all your employees, not just the top few.I hope other companies learn from you. Thanks again

February 19 2011 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply