Nurse Sarah Casareto Not Likely to Be Rehired

job interview Now that nurse Sarah Casareto has resigned from Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, she'll probably never work in the medical profession again. Of course, it doesn't help that she appears to have used most of the anesthesia intended for one of her patient having kidney stones removed, and told him that he was just going to have to "man up" during the operation.

According to a Minneapolis police report, the patient was told by a doctor that he would be feeling no pain, or much of anything else for that matter, because he was to receive 500 micrograms of fentanyl. But just prior to the operation, Casareto told the patient that he would indeed be suffering some, because they couldn't give him as much anesthesia as they'd intended.

She didn't tell him the she would be using 350 of his micrograms, leaving him only 150 for his very painful surgery.

While he was thrashing around and screaming in pain on the operating table, Casareto was slurring her words, being inattentive, and even, reportedly, falling asleep.

Afterwards, hospital employees found two empty and unauthorized syringes in Casareto's scrubs. When confronted, Casareto opted to resign rather than take a drug test. She has been charged with felony theft of a controlled substance. It's unknown whether or not the patient will bring a lawsuit against the hospital.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week

mrpete44

all hospital staff should be drug tested

April 05 2011 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stanley

How did we go from the evil nurse to the censorship of posts. The nurse should be put in prison, so that takes care of that. As for censorship of posts, it seems to me hit or miss policy. Some days they censor me, and some days they don't. I am an intelligent, compassionate human being, so naturally I'm a liberal. I don't forget that it was the Republicans and Bush who got the country into so much financial trouble, although a lot of people do forget and blame Obama for what he has no choice but to do. People who voted for the Tea Party to address their concerns simply tried to use gasoline to put out a fire. Perhaps if the racist Republicans had some ideas rather than only an agenda to insult a black president, things would get done other than giving the richest Americans a big tax break.

February 15 2011 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stanley's comment
redsoxloverswb

"Stanley:" You should go to "Politics Daily." They don''t censor uninformed, unintelligent, race-baiting Obamapologists - only people with rational, well-thought-out, well-researched, Pro-Life, pro-American comments.
Speaking of racism, who are the most public and well-known racists and bigots in this country? Well, they certainly include: Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Henry Louis Gates and his apologist friend Barack Obama (remember his automatic, racist remark when he first heard about the Gates/Crowley affair?), Michelle Obama ("For the first time in my life...."), the Obamas' long-time friend and spitual leader (?) Reverend (?) Jeremiah Wright, etc. - Democrats, or Democrat-leaning, all!

Stanley," if you're going to play the Race Card, you should first make sure that you're playing with a full deck!

March 12 2011 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LAURA

Why aren't they doing random drug testing on all of the Medical professionals and workers. Read the news, this happens all the time across the country. The people in charge need to take control. You know the hospital is going to get sued and there goes the cost of medical healthcare charges and premiums for the rest of us.

February 15 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wylie

I had a procedure requiring consciuos sedation, which was never administered...even when I told the radiologist that I could still feel everything and was totally aware, they continued on with the surgery. I was not screaming in pain as with the kidney stone operation, but it was pretty uncomfortable and upsetting to have my wishes completely ignored, even when I was expressing them extremely clearly. In my case the error was made because of a discrepancy in the drug log, but still it's a lesson that hospitals are not always right and if you have a question, speak up before things get too far!

February 15 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Though this case happened because of criminal conduct, becoming awake and aware during surgery is more common than the medical profession wants to admit (or people want to know about.) First off, anesthesiology is as much of an art as a science. Second, its not always clear exactly how many types of anesthesia work on the human body. Further, anesthesia always involves significant risks and the least amount you need is what you should have. Finally a awreness pehnomenon often isnt remembered if the patient has a lot of benzodiazapines as part of the anesthesia mix (they're amnesiac).

February 15 2011 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Conway

The RN profile in these cases is rather typical. The RN is a fine RN, with no significant history of misuse or addiction prior to becoming an RN. The fiirst exposure is in an medical setting. If the likely response is punitive, the problem is driven underground until there is obvious harm or risk.
The "Fox Populi" who seize on these situations to demand blood are part of the problem. Demonizing health professionals is becoming too much a part of what drives bad solutions to issues like this.

February 15 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

I don't get why the patient didn't speak up before the surgery. I would have pushed my little red nurse button and asked why I wasn't going to be given the amount of paid meds my doctor prescribed for the surgery - I wouldn't have just shrugged it off and figured I'd just have to suffer through it. That's a little odd...

February 15 2011 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VST_NY

Cut her up, no anesthesia ;-)

February 15 2011 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
l1a1h1

Just another day in OR. Half the medical profession are junkies, and the other half are relatives who get the junk for them. I worked ER and OR for two years and believe me, everyone was on something or other drug. The guy who was being operated on is an abject idiot. ANY operation should be pain free unless the DOCTOR tells you so. She should be arrested for wreckless endangering of another person, illegal possession of narcotics, and given 10 years in the pokey. Suppose the pain had caused him to stroke or die, what then?

February 15 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

This is AOL. How do you know these people pretending to be doctors and nurses really are?????

February 15 2011 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply