Note to Blockbuster Employees: Run!

blockbuster employees Employees at the 5,500 remaining Blockbuster stores would do well to get out now. It seems that you're being replaced by a red box and a mail carrier. Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy in September 2010, but is having trouble reorganizing, and will likely be sold at auction, according to some analysts.

Strangely enough, Blockbuster employees are their own worst enemies. They've become an expense that puts Blockbuster behind the financial eight ball. What was once the world's premier video rental chain is having a tough time competing with upstarts like Netflix, which delivers via the U.S. mail, and Redbox, which rents videos via coin and credit card operated kiosks set up in malls, grocery stores, etc. Neither Netflix nor Redbox require even a tenth of the expensive manpower that Blockbuster does.

Then there's the expense of rental, and costly upkeep of all the Blockbuster brick-and-mortar stores -- other fees not shared with its most prominent competitors. Even financial geniuses like billionaire Carl Icahn and Monarch Capital, which are also creditors, are having a hard time figuring out how to get the Blockbuster ox, out of the mire.

The close to 50,000 employees who have adopted a "wait and see" attitude would be well-advised to dust off their resumes and start looking for other opportunities. Video rental stores seem to be going the way of the brick-and-mortar bookstore.

Still, being sold at auction does not guarantee that your store will be closed down, but you can bet there will be an awful lot of restructuring and belt tightening, and it's an absolute certainty that many jobs will be lost -- probably sooner rather than later.

Next: Top 10 Companies Hiring This Week

Mel

well now I wonder what is going to happen with their on line service?? I used that with my droid and Netflix doesn't have the app for droid!

February 15 2011 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

These very skilled employee should run from their paying job and go where? They probably could get a job writing for AOL because you are a moron and you got one!

February 15 2011 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j

Strange how services and experiences are becoming less physical and more digital. Animals used to serve man, then he went to machine, then to machine being served by other machines(computers). It now seems that machine is being served by man. We aren't going to need our physical senses or appendages in the future as their needs get weeded out by evolution. We will only need to be a brain in a jar.

February 15 2011 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamsprtkus

maybe pretty soon, if everything goes right, we'll never have to go outside again.

February 15 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I'm glad! I'm tired of the late fee's

February 15 2011 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taylor

I love Blockbuster! The store in our neighborhood has friendly and helpful employees. Some of the customers are the ones that are rude and disrespectful. You get back what you give! I like being able to order older movies (not new releases) online or pick them up locally. Can you get that at a kiosk? I don't think so.

February 15 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Carl Icahn is not a "financial genius". He's one of the greatest thieves in history. If we spent half as much time eradicating scum like this from society as we do worrying about terrorism, we could pay off the national debt.

February 15 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
george

wHYshould the Blockbuster's employees quit, they will collect unemployment benefits if they are fired.

February 15 2011 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Babs

I couldn't be happier to see Block Buster fade away. They were, at least here locally, the most obnoxious people to do business with. The sales people acted as if they were actually Hollywood stars themselves and their customers were dogdirt. I know corporate headquarters may not have intended this but that's the way they came across. And their late policy was really ridiculous. I took 3 films back 5 minutes last once (I'd gotten a phone call just as I was leaving to drop off the films) and they charged me $12 for a late charge! I could NOT believe they would do this. That's when I decided to check out an online rental place I'd been hearing about. Netflix. I tried them over 5 years ago and I'm still a member and think they are the best company I have ever dealt with ever! They are customer oriented as so very very few other companies are these days...unlike the impression I had gotten from Block Busters, so as I say I'm not upset about their current prediciment.

February 15 2011 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Wow sounds like payback for all those crazy late fees, lack of popular movies on the shelf and bottom of the barrel workers in the store,, adios and would the last employee leaving please turn off the lights

February 15 2011 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply