Ellen Helps Sheri Get the Job!

Sheri Caine Remember a few weeks back when we ran the story of Sheri Caine, an unemployed, widowed mother of five young boys living in the Washington, D.C., metro area, who wrote to Ellen DeGeneres asking if she could help her find a job? The next thing she knew, a brand new Buick Regal was waiting at her curb to take the whole family to Los Angeles to appear on Ellen's show.

Not only did Ellen put out a call for someone to give Sheri a job, but she highlighted her skills and experience as a human resources specialist, and then gave the family all 12 Days of Christmas gifts that she hands out annually -- in addition to the car that was waiting for them back home.

A time of hope

A week later Caine was back East, the boys were back at school, and they all were braving the chilling weather but happy and full of hope. Then, interview opportunities and resume requests started pouring in.

"The show staff screened the e-mails that came through and forwarded the legitimate prospects to me," Sheri recalled. "I went on many interviews, and that process had been actually a fear of mine. This time around, however, I actually looked forward to and enjoyed going on these interviews. With all the things the show had done for me, I guess you can say they also helped me face and overcome one of my biggest fears."

Sheri went on numerous interviews and actually got several offers, but was hesitant to accept any of them. "I secretly wished IMRG (Integrated Management Resource Group) would find me a good fit and hoped they would present me with an offer as well," Sheri related. "I was instantly drawn to IMRG, a company that provides strategic and innovative management solutions through integration outsourcing for government and private sectors. The company is woman-owned, and the majority of its employees are women. They understand the needs of the working woman and the flexibility that is needed at times."

An instant connection

Sheri also made a connection with the owner, Myrna Cooks. "I have never experienced that with any employer I have ever had. Although we had never met before, it felt like I had known her all my life. She is a no-nonsense employer who is committed to excellence but who also genuinely cares for her employees."

Cooks felt the same way about Sheri. She had been working from home one day and was watching Ellen's show when she saw Sheri for the first time. "I just knew she would be a good fit for our organization," she said. She went on the show's website immediately, and wrote that she would like to talk to Sheri about an old position that had been vacated and needed to be revitalized.

They needed an employee care rep that would work with nearly 250 people, acting as a liaison between their corporate offices and management. "Within five minutes of meeting her, I knew she would click with everyone," Cooks said. "Sheri has a firmness and a genuineness that I know the employees will relate to. And I could tell that this woman really wanted to get back to work."

Sheri was unaware of the positive response, and was waiting to hear from IMRG when the producers of Ellen called her again. They told her they wanted to check in with her, and asked her if she would be willing to make another quick trip out to Los Angeles. Sheri wasn't about to turn them down -- especially in this wild winter weather.

Earlier this week, viewers saw a newly energized Sheri bounce up on stage to great Ellen, who had become both a friend and advocate. This time, however, Ellen meant to do more than merely check in. There was a phone call from Myrna of IMRG waiting on the line. Myrna publicly offered Sheri the job!

A dream come true

Sheri didn't have to think twice before accepting -- it was the call she had been waiting for, dreaming about, hoping she would get. But there was still another surprise in the works. Ellen presented Sheri with a $10,000 gift certificate to Neiman Marcus, so she could get her professional wardrobe in shape. That was beyond anything she dared hope for.

"The store is providing me with a personal shopper, something I have never had or ever dreamed possible," Sheri said. "I would like to get business attire with at least one great hand bag and a nice pair of shoes I would otherwise have never been able to afford." With the gift certificate, she can now afford several.

"'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' changed my life, which is now headed in such a positive direction," she said. "In the year and a half since losing my husband and the two since losing my job, I had faith something better was in store for me. I had no idea that Ellen would be that catalyst, but I am so happy I sat down in front of my computer that day and told my story. I know there are many people in similar situations and my hope is that they never give up. There is no way to predict which road life is going to lead us down; but we can control the attitude we take toward adversity and know there is another road up ahead."

Next: January's Jobs Report: What It Means for You from DailyFinance

Related Stories from The Huffington Post:

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

To serve others

What an amazing story! Thank you Ellen for reaching out to those in hard times. It takes one person to make a difference and then have that person pay it forward. I recently went to a training called "The Exchange" by Keith Kochner. It was amazing how we are in control of our own stories if we just take the time to change them and serve others and find our place in greatness! Much happiness, success and health to Ellen for her graciousness and Sheri for your tenacity!!

February 12 2011 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Diver

Well Ellen's show's rating and bank account certainly benefitted this nice little story. I am sure many times more than her expenditures on "helping" this woman and her family...Don't get me wrong, I am happy for this woman. I just want to put this whole ratings (money) gimmick into perspective.

February 12 2011 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vic

You know Dee there are always going to be people like you. I could tell you stories about my nightmares but this is a time to be thankful for what we have. All your negativity isn't going to get you anywhere. Did you ever think about writing to the Ellen show, of course not. Think positive and maybe something nice will happen to you. People usually cause there own problems.

February 12 2011 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEB BUCKINGHAM

How come Ellen only helps out women on her show? You never see any down and out guys getting any help from Ellen. Just women.

February 12 2011 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven R. Russell

First of all, Sheri's reaction is to take God's name in vain over the airwaves, something we are clearly commanded not to do in Scripture.

Second, the Bible tells us that wide is the path that leads to destruction, and many are they which go down that pathway. But straight and narrow is the path which leads to life everlasting, and few there be that find it.

Third, we are told; "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). And; "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him, might be saved" (John 3:16,17).

Also see Psalm 1.

If there is no change in Ellen DeGeneres' spiritual direction, it'll be interesting to see where she and the "Sheri's" of her show will be 10 or more years from now.

In closing, the Bible tells us; "Boast not thyself of tomorrow, for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."

February 12 2011 at 2:20 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Allyson

Ellen is a great person,and there should be more ppl out there like her. I bet she would change my life too,if she would only read my story..She has done alot to help ppl and for that alone,Im sure god will bless her in many ways

February 12 2011 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ectullis

Is Ellen cheating?

February 12 2011 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janeal Rodriguez

It is ashame that a story of humaness and kindness from one kind-hearted individual to a person in need turned into such an evil self-serving platform. Why can we not as human beings take this story for what it is without passing judgement on this woman, passing judgement on Ellen, using this as a political and social platform. We are always so ready to tear others down and we finally see a story of someone lifting another up and all you can think to speak of is all this negativity? It is a shame and you are in the wrong place. If Ellen was in the position to help every individual in the world without a job, who has lost loved ones, I am sure she would but she is doing what she can one individual at a time. We should all have the same kind-hearted spirit. These comments are shameful and really show the hatred some Americans have for one another but yet we wonder why we are in the state we are in now. People grow up and if you cant be happy reading a wholesome story about the spirit some Americans still have then get off this page and go elsewhere! God bless you Ellen, God bless Sheri and her family!

February 12 2011 at 12:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
angieb

I am happy 4 her, Most of us want to work and take care of our families. I was laid off 14 months ago due to no fault of my own. I am now working a temp assignment and I hope it turns into a perm. position. I will keep the faith no matter what happens.

February 11 2011 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pauli

Dee

You are a REMARKABLE woman....keep ur head up high and I pray good things come ur way....GOD BLESS screw ur sister the energy she sucks from u physically and emotionaly are not even worth the effort don't give her the satisfaction of showing her what impact she has on you...your better then anything she can through your way...believe that with all ur heart each day u look in the mirror, tell urself how special u r...i no some days it is easier said then done, but u sound like u honestly deserve nothing but good 2 come ur way I pray they do...:)

February 11 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.