10 Free Government Resources for the Unemployed

US Capitol The Department of Labor, as well as many state, local and community agencies, all provide valuable free resources to job seekers. Here are 10 to check out.

1. Career One Stop

Career One Stop is a government resource for learning how to write a resume, cover letter or thank you letter. The site also provides tips on interviewing and negotiating your salary.

2. National Job Bank

National Job Bank is a U.S. job bank that can be searched by occupation and location.

3. My Skills My Future

My Skills My Future helps job seekers find job opportunities based on previous job titles and job skills. The tool provides an overview of different occupations, salary ranges and information on the number of jobs that match a given title.

4. Occupational Outlook Handbook

Occupational Outlook Handbook provides detailed information on what specific jobs entail, the training and education needed for particular jobs, as well as earnings and expected job prospects.

5. Employment & Training Administration

Employment & Training Administration provides information on job training, worker dislocation programs and grants given to state agencies. The site also offers free online assessments.

6. 2-1-1

2-1-1 helps people find local assistance with training, employment, food pantries, affordable housing and support groups.

7. National Career Centers Directory

The government operates National Career Centers in all 50 states and offers job seekers training referrals, career counseling and job listings.

8. Benefits.gov

Benefits.gov is the official benefits website of the U.S. Government and informs citizens of government benefits they may be eligible for while unemployed.

9. Worker Re-Employment

Worker Re-Employment explains how to apply for unemployment insurance and suggests government resources for people who need help with child care, groceries and other necessities. You can find your local unemployment office here.

10. Local libraries

Many local libraries throughout the country are offering free job search assistance via seminars, webinars, workshops, and one-on-one career coaching. In addition, many have subscriptions to proprietary databases of company information that can be useful in a job search.

Sparky

This is a great program and their is a whole lot more information to be had on it. There’s a site devoted to it at:

It covers not only Safelink Wireless but Assurance Wireless and ReachOut Wireless.

May 04 2011 at 9:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Theresa Geil

I know you were kidding....but, don't encourage those who really do what you have stated.......I would hope that someone, somewhere (our government agencies) would catch on and cut out the fraud. Hello, Obama!! Are you listening? At least Clinton wanted time limits on assistance.....better yet, why can't we working poor get a little assistance with the increased cost of living that our small to no wage increases haven't been able to cover?

January 31 2011 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theresa Geil

One can only hope that you are kidding! I see old people cry everyday because they have mortgaged their homes to pay their bills...maybe, you could teach these dear people how to benefit from the system. I still believe that Americans are good and will work for the betterment of our society. Soon, there will be no need for those like you and others like you who set no example for your children....someday, when your money runs out (or "OUR" money runs out) you will pay dearly......How can you brag? How dare you brag? Help someone other than yourself and this self-perpetuating system..get a job!

January 31 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theresa Geil

I totally agree with the fact that the 50 yr old + generation and the elderly have been forgotten when assistance, jobs, housing, and quality medical help are made available. I have worked everyday since turning 16 yrs old. I have paid and paid tax after tax into a system that rewards those lazy career welfare receipiants. As I drive home from work thru our city's most well known slum, all around I see the young girls with three, four, sometimes five children wandering down the streets to their government paid homes, using their government paid cell phones, collecting their government paid "salaries" doing what they please without restriction. I, on the other hand, had one child, paid for school, day care, insurance, morgage, household necessities, and my own darned cell phone...all this by working everyday with my off time well regulated by my employer. No hand outs, no unearned support..but just like thousands of people born in the era of "you get what you earn", I am exhausted and frightened to death that when I do get to retire at 67, these selfish, lazy warts on society will have eaten up all our monies and we, the working poor, will have to see all our savings go just to live another day fearful that we might need crappy healthcare because of a stroke, cancer and not to mention that horrible nursing home neglect. If I can still drag myself to work at 56yrs old then I think those 16 to whatever on welfare can do something to benefit society instead of training their young to rob the system therefore robbing our neediest population of aging Americans.

January 30 2011 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Theresa Geil's comment
isoroku5

I live in a pretty nice suburb and haven't had a job in 15 years. I got 4 kids and a dog, drive a nice Beamer and I don't pay any taxes. All I have to do is to check in once a month with my case counselor. I take a class now and then to make it look good you know. I get to sit out on my deck every day and watch poor saps driving into work to support my family. My kids play out in the street all day or watch TV and play video games. I don't need to go to the grocery store either: I have everything I need delivered. Last week I won $5,000 on scratch-offs that I bought with my WIC money. That helps with the cost of cigs-they're pretty expensive now. Too bad I can't get beer-we shouldn't have to pay for that. Last week we went to Vegas and left the kids at home. I was worried about the dog I gotta admit. I had to cut back on buying clothes for the kids last month, price of pop went up again dammit. I think it's time to have another kid-I need more money. I just need to wave at another sap driving into work and they'll help me out. If they can't jump me they'll at least give me some of the good stuff they buy in the slums.

January 30 2011 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larson6600

Minnesota has a program for newly unemployed workers called the "Dislocated Workers Program." I was able to qualify for it when I lost my job a couple of years ago. In looking at the complaints people have on this and other posts I've read, I realize how fortunate I was to be able to get help from this program. I was able to increase my computer skills and take some classes to enhance the degree I already had. That training looked pretty good on my resume and I was able to get a better job because of it. I suppose people are going to bitch that this is just another government program but to them I say go ahead and beat your head against the wall. While you're whining other people are getting the help they need and obviously want and benefits our society. It's your loss.

January 29 2011 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peg

#@!@#$%*&^(*^&*^#$@!@!#$

January 28 2011 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fern fren

become a cna, free or cheaP,,and u will have work 24 hr A DAY if u want and

u can find work anywhere............it only takes 3 months of parttime CLASSES

January 28 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fern fren's comment
trisha mercy

do you really want to do a commercial when people are pouring out their hearts about the position they are in?? maybe you didn't pick up on the fact that these people are disabled and/or have NO MONEY. please for the sake of not looking as cold as you do put your little ad somewhere else.

January 28 2011 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marc

I hate the state the economy is in but I don't hate America.

January 28 2011 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LaB

Yes I have to agree with most of the posts on here.Now I lost a good job
11 years ago and been trying to fill the empty Bank account any way that I can.
(1) You can not go to direct employer to apply any more.They just send you out
door now.
(2)Now you have to go though staffing firms just to find a job.An if an when
you get one its really only temp. Till company has to buy out contract. Then they send you back to firm.There they replace you with some one else and it starts all over For the new hire.Yes I know for fact be there an done it.
(3)Age What joke Not surposed to ask age till hired. How many applcations
have it Just about every one I have filled out If you leave it blank they toss
the applacation out.
(4) Age Again let them run back ground check AGE is there out the door you go
your to old they just pass you by. Been there and had it done to me.
so what you do. work for nothing. or a little when the help is need.Yes I do look for jobs every day I spend hours looking I have a book a mile long to jobs applied to.And 97.8 % of them look at age factor.Out the door you go.
Sure I have gotten food stamps Thats all they will help with.With what I get the mouse in my cabinet is staving.So bottom line is they all look at age now.
so here me an my mouse are on the street.Just cold an lonely looking to making
a living.Theres alot of good men an women out there that are willing to work
just to stay off of welfare.Employers don't look at that. Just give me there job an put them where I am see how they like it....

January 27 2011 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jan sterling

here where i live in high desert in so cal - the local good will thrift store has set up in the back computers and help people do resumes and search for work online at no cost

January 26 2011 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply