Companies to Watch in 2011

companies hiring nowLooking for a job but not sure where to start? To help narrow down your search, we found some of the biggest companies hiring this year. But before you apply, check out our company-specific interview examples, revealing insider accounts of what it's like to work there and tips on how to land the job.

1. Marriott

Industry: Hotel/Hospitality

Headquarters: Bethesda, Md.

Founded in 1927 by the current CEO's father, J. Willard Marriott, the company owns and maintains one of the largest hotel operations in the world.

2. Coca-Cola

Industry: Food and Beverage

Headquarters: Atlanta, Ga.

Coca-Cola manufactures concentrates that are sold to distributors, who then go on to bottle, package and sell the product to the markets they represent.

3. Home Depot

Industry: Home Improvement

Headquarters: Cobb County, Ga.

Founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus, Arthur Blank, Ron Brill and Pat Farrah, Home Depot successfully established itself with its chain of retail hardware superstores.

4. Apple

Industry: Computers/Personal Electronics

Headquarters: Cupertino, Calif.

Apple Computers was originally founded in 1976 by Steve Wozniak, Ronald Wayne and current CEO Steve Jobs. The company is now a force in the field of mobile communications as well as computing and personal electronics.

5. Kaiser Permanente

Industry: Health Care/Insurance

Headquarters: Oakland, Calif.

Kaiser Permanente is comprised of a group of companies including a non-profit umbrella company, various regional health plans, several hospitals and a host of independent medical groups.

6. Walmart

Industry: Discount Retail/Grocery

Headquarters: Bentonville, Ark.

With over 2 million employees worldwide, Wal-Mart Inc. is the largest private employer in the United States. The company has steadily grown since founder Sam Walton opened the first Walmart branded store in 1962.

7. AOL

Industry: Content Creation/ISP

Headquarters: New York, N.Y.

The company formerly known as America Online Inc. was originally founded in 1983 as Control Video Corp. Today, with over 100 channels representing both original content and news, AOL routinely delivers 100 million unique visitors per month to its properties.

8. Best Buy

Industry: Electronics/Home Appliance

Headquarters: Richfield, Minn.

Best Buy is the largest electronics retailer in the United States. The company currently employs somewhere around 180,000 people worldwide.

9. UPS (Seasonal)

Industry: Shipping/Courier

Headquarters: Seattle, Wash.

UPS delivers an estimated 15 million packages to more than 220 countries and territories each day. At present, UPS employs a staff of over 400,000.

10. Wells Fargo

Industry: Finance and Banking

Headquarters: San Francisco, Calif.

Wells Fargo, one of the largest banks in the United States, currently employs approximately 280,000 people.

More Articles You Might Like

Vicente Loredo

i install sprinkle system residential or commersial for a lower price than the companies i charge 375 for each station if you're interested just give me a call my numbers are (956)562-1846 or (956)402-1695 my name is vicente

September 14 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
allenpeculis

I lost my job as a security guard , I've cleaning, dishwssher in a resturant and can't get a job anywhere. I'm spending 2 hours a day 6 days a week doing some cleaning work in a V. F.W. Hell I've even done food service. I can't even get a job in a mickey -d's. The jobs are going of town and out of country.

August 24 2011 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to allenpeculis's comment
DZ

Then I would call your Senators and Govenor, although it wont help immediately maybe, just maybe it will help to turn things around, this President is the worst we have ever had!

October 18 2011 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt Miller

Go figure, the large conglomerates are going to continue to grow and offer under paying jobs to the middle class while destroying our other employment options.. go forth and feed the beast little lemmings.

August 02 2011 at 3:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stan

Make $500-$1000 a day week or month call !-800-811-6081 use ID#8427

July 27 2011 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drakespark

jcarr12217 Grow up! the Dems are no different, has anything changed in the last 3 years...except the trillions in debt? The job market is changing, you need to as well and don't expect to make $70,000 a year putting tires on cars at a GM or Ford plant. Thank your union for losing the jobs!That my friend is why they moved to Mexico and China. Take a look at the companies AOL listed above and get a real job! I did, I was an electrician and when I saw the market slouch I didn't go complain to my union...I found a new job, entered management, worked my butt off and promoted to 6 figures. YEA God Bless America!

April 11 2011 at 6:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bob_Pfirrman_II

How do you get a job, when your over 54 and have worked at several companies , that have closed.????
HR GENERALISTS, want "honesty", soooooo you list all your jobs, it is more than 1 page & NOT WORTH THEIR TIME. ( by their standards) All these NEW HR "Standards" ..........Hmmmmmmmmm. They been around about 10 - 12 years. Hey, (light bulb effect), isn't that how long our county has no Longer been competitive, profitable, SOLVENT. Isn't that how long we have been in a DOWN HILL SLIDE ???????? Hey, Isn't the OPINION of other countries of the United States, is their WORK FORCE is inferior.???????? Hmmmmmm, Maybe , just MAYBE THESE HIGH & MIGHTY ******** running "HR" can't hire people, & THEY SHOULD ALL BE LET GO !!!!!!!!

March 14 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bob_Pfirrman_II's comment
Matthew

I agree. I noticed ever since Personnel became Human Resources and switched from being staffed by administrative assistants who seemed to know what kind of people the company needed, to being staffed by HR Generalists and managers, that suddenly companies started hiring large amounts of low-quality employees, turnover went up, and employees became liabilities rather than assets, that everything went to pot.

May 17 2011 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jcarr12217

non stop bullshit.......want a job..go to china..thats where the gop SOLD YOUR JOBS

March 08 2011 at 9:09 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jcarr12217's comment
DZ

The Democrats and republicans have both sold our jobs ever since Nixon signed a trade agreement with CHina. Time to start getting involved in Goverment, and I don';t mean Voting for someone that promises everything and gives us !2 Trillion in debt!

October 18 2011 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Di Erica Woods

I need phlebotomist positions posted, please!!!

January 24 2011 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply