Gwyneth Paltrow Offends Working Moms

Gwyneth Paltrow Superstar actress and newly anointed country singer Gwyneth Paltrow ingratiated herself with mothers across the globe when she candidly confessed the details of her postpartum depression. But she seems to have taken her efforts to relate to us all a bit too far by telling working moms that she and BFFs fashion designer Stella McCartney and venture capitalist Juliet de Baubigny are just like any other busy mother.

"Really?" sputters Karen, a working mother of six. "She has a stylist, a trainer, a nanny, probably a cook and driver, a manager, an agent, and who knows how many other people helping her. She can relate to me? Please! Save it, Gwyneth!"

Reading Paltrow's blog GOOP, you have to wonder just how does little Gwynnie do it all. In a blog on a day in her life, she claims to be able to wake and dress her kids, make and feed them a healthy breakfast, help them finish their art projects and get them out the door in a mere 20 minutes. She also claims to be able to answer e-mails, conduct interviews and do voice exercises while she's driving them to school. There's something about hands-free cell phone laws that make these claims seem extra challenging.

"It should go without saying that reading a day in the life of three rich mothers under the pretense that you will totally relate and learn from their example will give you a massive case of the stabbies," writes The Frisky's Amelia McDonell-Parry.

"Gwyneth has, predictably, drawn criticism for thinking that her extremely privileged life bears any resemblance to that of an ordinary working mother," writes

Paltrow does, however, give some useful time-saving tips that anyone can do, like doing stretching exercises while the conditioner is "doing its magic" on your hair, making an oatmeal loaf the night before, then nuking it, slicing it and serving it with syrup the next morning. Gee, maybe she IS just like the rest of us!

K

I have been a stay at home mother and a mother with three jobs. Guess what? It's all hard. As a former Nanny, let me just speak for them. I never worked for a lazy mother. The mothers were so busy trying to do it all, they simply didn't have the time...they were, like Gwyneth a Type A. Money or not, it's hard, it's just harder in different ways. She has more resources, for sure.

February 17 2011 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rose

Gwyneth seems to me a great Mom,wife,and actress; I can't understand what's the fuss?? I can understand why some moms feel uneasy with her opinion.. she seems to have her life under control.. especially being blessed with all those talents.. so lay of people!!

February 17 2011 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kling

meh... if you want an easy life don't have six kids. Want more money? Breed less. You guys choose to pop out more kids than you can manage, so stop whining. Maybe less procreation would help many of you with your issues.

January 31 2011 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ARoge

I don't doubt she is a bad mother!In fact she prolly is a wonderful mother But come on She Is NOTHING like the average working Mom. My husband and I work our butts off just to pay the bills in this crapy economy. Still have to keep wednesday open to volunteer at my kids schools,Cook,Clean homework. An it's just me and my husband ( and i love it ) I'm insulted and take it very offensive when a super star thinks they are like everyone else.

January 31 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Of course, Stars can't relate to regular folk. Their existence is completely different. But please don't be angry with them. I'm certain Gywneth believes she is the same as us & would never comprehend WHY we object to comparison.

January 30 2011 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimberlee Hicks

So, since when does being a mother mean that we're "struggling to put food on the table for our kids?" My mother was a successful career-woman, who never had to worry about her children starving. Does that mean she's not a mother by your standards? Her mother, however, was an immigrant who slogged 35 miles back and forth to work on a bus every day and raise five children on her own, never knowing where their next meal was coming from, but someone always managing to pull through. However, she was also constantly threatening to turn my mother, her sisters, and her brother over the welfare services so that she didn't have to put up with them anymore (and yes, she meant it). But she suffered, so she's a mother, but my mom's not?

This is how Gwyneth gets away with comparing herself to other mothers - she has children. In fact, she has two. It doesn't matter if it takes her twenty minutes to get them ready in the morning, or ninety, the fact is, SHE'S the one getting them ready. Even if she has ten people helping her, which I know we all would love, she's still there, and that's more than a lot of celebrities and even wealthy non-celebrities can say for themselves.

Someone sneered at Gwyneth's claim to have "done it all by herself", and you know what? She did. Check your facts. She took a few years away from the industry altogether and was a stay-at-home-mother. During that time, ( I want to say it was three years) she learned gourmet cooking, as well as getting to spend all her time with her kids, doing - guess what?! - normal things like feeding them, dressing them, taking them to the park, reading them stories. Did they have nannies? I'm sure there must have been at least one, because frankly, mommy's got to get out of the house sometime, but yeah, she did it.

Doing the kind of work that she does, contrary to popular belief, isn't easy. Yet she's one of the few people in the industry who is continually seen out with her children, and that's because she makes time for them in her busy life. I don't know what else a mother is. Especially since I rarely saw my own mother, who worked long hours, even when we were on vacation together.

So, single-mothers, hard-workin' supermom's, stay-at-homes, moms-of-steel, and everyone else, get your dander back down. Just because they pay her to look pretty at four o'clock in the morning, no matter what she feels like, doesn't mean she hasn't been hands-deep in poopy diapers, too.

And really - who among us hasn't said something stupid before? Give it a rest, ya'll.

January 30 2011 at 6:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kimberlee Hicks's comment
Madeline McCollough

Gwyneth Paltrow is simply tone-deaf, and it is insulting to compare her privileged life to those of average working parents, period. To do so simply highlights her stupidity. And no army of PR folks armed with silly , irrelevant rebuttals will change that.

January 30 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sylvia

I am starting to get bored with our obsession with celebrity, and how we hang on every word that comes out of their mouth like it is a precious gem. Celebrities like Miss Gwen, wants to 'keep it real' as they say. She wants to be like the real world.....the only difference being she is very, very wealthy. She tries to make herself seem like "everyday people,". The only thing her and other human beings have in common is that we eat, sleep, have bowel movements and wipe our behinds like everyone else, and eventually, we will die. We forget that Hollywood is a fantasy world.

January 29 2011 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sylvia

I am not a mother, but I work very hard. It seems to me that high profile celebrities want desperately to be just like 'us', to imagine they are a part of our real world, but unfortunately, the movie industry is so fake, and in so many ways, that Miss Paltrow, like many other stars, have to grasp at finding a real identity, and sometimes wind up with a perverted perception of who they really are.

January 29 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C Bryan King

I think it works both ways. How do any of you so-called "normal" mothers have any idea what her life is like? Just because she has more people around doesn't mean it makes the raising of her children any easier. In fact, maybe it makes her relationship with her children more difficult because she has more people and outside interests to deal with and less time for her kids.

January 29 2011 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GlamGail

I greatly applaud Gweneth Paltrow's efforts to disclose and discuss her journey with post-partum depression. Beyond that, what separates Gweneth Paltrow from any of the others that she writes about or to whom she compares herself, is that whatever she chooses to do, or not to do, is her choice by nature that she has the funds to do so. And that fact alone is what liberates her as well as separates her from "the rest of us." Having unlimited financial independence is what allows Paltrow, or anyone, to have peace of mind and freedom of choice. Since an emotional issue like post-partum depression knows no financial boundaries, it affects women across all financial barriers. It is that fact that has blurred any distinction between Paltrow and others such afflicted. I personally think that Paltrow is lovely and talented but also unbelievably lucky to be born into a class and status of living attained merely by being been born into that particular family.

What Paltrow reveals of herself in this article is that she is blithering naive.

January 29 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply