Forget about jobs with glamour and prestige. These days work, any kind of work, can be highly attractive. One of the sectors that seems to be bouncing back the quickest is the financial industry, opening numerous positions in finance, accounting, and financial services.
According to the 2011 Robert Half salaries returning to pre-recession levels.Guides, many roles show promise for the coming year with
"With companies focused on growth initiatives, accounting and finance continues to remain at the forefront as a means to manage expenditures, improve efficiencies and favorably position organizations for the upswing," said Phil Sheridan, managing director for Robert Half UK.
"Despite high unemployment figures, companies report difficulties sourcing highly skilled professionals, particularly in regulatory compliance, audit and general accounting. Job candidates who bring multiple skill sets, a track record of success and a strong sense of accountability will see compensation gains in the year ahead," Sheridan continued.
Here is an overview of 11 top finance and accounting jobs for 2011:
1. Financial-- As we emerge from the recession, businesses continue to seek candidates who can perform fundamental duties such as maintaining the general ledger, compiling financial reports and managing cash flow.
--Find Financial Accounting Jobs
--Find Financial Analyst Jobs
3. Credit Controller -- Companies need professionals who can contribute to the bottom line by reducing inefficiencies and enhancing profitability. As a result, credit specialists who can assist in the evaluation of risk, manage delinquent payments, and help improve cash flow are seeing increased opportunity.
--Find Credit Controller Jobs
4. Assistant Accountant -- With hiring freezes lifting and organizations adding to overstretched accounting teams, companies are recognizing employees by promoting from within. The result is additional opportunity in entry-level roles for individuals displaying exceptional data entry skills and an attention to detail. Assistant accountants are required to match invoices to purchase orders and assist with accounts payable and receivable.
--Find Assistant Accountant Jobs
5. Financial Controller -- Greater understanding of how the finance function fits within the strategic decision-making process has prompted the need for financial controllers who can plan and direct operational accounting functions, improve efficiencies, evaluate controls and develop business performance metrics while also moving the business forward.
--Find Financial Controller Jobs
6. Purchase Ledger Clerk -- Purchase ledger clerks have seen increased demand as organizations carefully monitor business records and ensure that they do not default on payments.
--Find Purchase Ledger Clerk Jobs
7. Regulatory Accountant -- A more stringent regulatory environment and greater need for operational transparency has prompted the adoption of consolidated and harmonized compliance controls. While demand for regulatory accountants has increased, supply remains scarce: 16 percent of CFOs report challenges securing compliance skills.
--Find Regulatory Accountant Jobs
8. Internal Auditors -- Audit continues to be in strong demand in the post-recessionary environment, however a shortage of skilled talent exists. One in four CFOs report challenges finding audit professionals who can prepare reports, evaluate business processes, improve procedures and perform project management of audit teams.
--Find Internal Auditors Jobs
9. Financial Planning Analyst -- Financial planning analysts are required to analyze product lines and organizational costs, prepare profit and loss models as well as perform budget variance and forecasting analysis. Nearly four in 10 (37 percent) of financial services CFOs are challenged in finding qualified accounting and finance staff.
--Find Financial Planning Analyst Jobs
10. Assistant Management Accountant -- The financial services sector is also looking for assistant management accountants with industry experience to help analyze budgets and forecasts as well as provide detailed information and reporting to allow management to make informed business decisions.
--Find Assistant Management Accountant Jobs
11. Client Services - Throughout the banking crisis, the need to provide exceptional client service was never more apparent. As organizations now turn their attention to growth initiatives and revenue generation, client satisfaction is increasingly important and demand exists for professionals with exceptional communication and relationship-building skills.
--Find Client Services Jobs