These articles always make me vomit. Work double hard for the employer, don't expect decent wages, and show them you have AMBITION. After the company tires of you, they'll show you the door. The American business model is broken. Totally. I am afraid we'll soon have uprisings in the streets like Europe.

January 17 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria Gomez

By the way fellow posters, my response is to the rant that "Tommy Truth" went on in the beginning of these posts.

January 17 2011 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria Gomez

Tommy Truth
Then do us all a favor and move somewhere else.

January 17 2011 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil Bittle

You left out the most important thing ... being willing to work 7 days a week for minimum wage and no benefits.

January 16 2011 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

These companies are in bushiness to make money. Try to understand that they don't want clock watchers or slackers. Remember you only have one chance to make a first impression. Dress neatly.

January 16 2011 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven R. Russell

Certain people think that our self worth is determined on how well we perform, and on what other people think about us.

Both of these are lies which Satan has in his arsenal of countless weapons, Satan being the father of all lies.

The only thing that determines our self worth, is what God thinks about us.

January 16 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

By the way, if I could work at "what turns me on" I would be starving as it is a business that uses a lot of descretionery income. As for being self employed, I was for many years, and was very happy doing what I did. Unfortunately, I was a Realtor, and making any money in that business nowadays is almost impossible, it's a business where under the best economies, 20% of the people make 80% of the money, and much of what you make goes out in the form of taxes, advertising, MLS and computer fees, and much more, as well as the split with the broker.

January 16 2011 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Ambition??!!! Translate to: we want an employee that we can use and abuse and underpay who will not complain or make any demands because they know that there are ten other people waiting who are also "ambitious"!! I lost my job a year and half ago and can't even get hired at the local supermarket because I am "overqualified". Ambition has nothing to do with it.

January 16 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R. Michael Lawrence

You, too, can build pyramids--so long as you are promised the good life in the Halls of Osiris.
If you are supposed to be soooo ambitious--why not become self-employed?
Now that's "fire in the belly"!
Now, as to what employers are really looking for:
You must know the job, and how to do it with
very little on-the-job training;
You must have experience in the field--period;
And you must get it done now, and work with
others on doing what needs to be done, no
questions asked;
And a few other things as well. I think you know what they are.

January 16 2011 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Wow, this article has certainly provoked some visceral responses, mine included (see previous on page 5).
To the following:
KC: (page 5) in referring to spoiled baby boomers ( I am a Boomer and I am not spoiled), I did not vote in Medicare or Social Security, both were there when I began my working life in the early 1970's and I have paid into them all my working life (almost 40 years), too, so it is not unfair to expect at least some of that back when I might need it. I do not expect to retire, can't afford to, so may be a moot point.
Barbara:(page 5) regarding long posts: yes, some are rants, I agree, but some have some darn good ideas, mine included. Don't want to read them, don't read them... but you just might learn something from some of them. There is tremendous wisdom/experience out there in our USA!

Jim (page 2): GREAT post! Thanks for sharing some real wisdom, I agree 100%, especially with "work at whatever turns you on". Very very true, especially over the long haul of life.
gr8bsn: (page 2): Also great post, especially in response to Jim!

I encourage all of us, myself included in this: return to the roots of this great nation and do not forget we got here by helping one another. WORK FOR YOURSELF,help someone else,encourage each other, pray for each other. It works! I am personally praying for every person on this post who is in need of work.

January 16 2011 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply