This is news? Well, it isn't bad news, but it seems to be presented as something grand. 3,500 workers over 2 years is 1,750 workers a year or
146 jobs per month for the next 24 months or 3 jobs per month per state
if spread even across the 50 states. Are troubles are over. The biggest
dept store retailer will really put a dent in unemployment.

February 06 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herbert Colker

Wouldn't it be great if there were any salespeople in the Macy's stores??? Also, there are few people on the registers. My wife had to take merchandise up to the management floors to get something rung up. I find it very difficult to get help--three departments we've shopped in recently--luggage, men's clothing, and women's clothing.

January 05 2011 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I laughed when I read the headline. They probably need all those new people to handle the increasingly complicated coupons, rewards and "one day" sales. I believe Macy's would up their "class" quotient if they'd give up all the annoying hoops the consumer has to jump through to save a few dollars.

January 05 2011 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jean's comment

yeah, too bad macy's wasn't just like WALMART & just have cheap prices on cheap chinese crap everyday...!! our economy/country has done so much better since everything has become walmart , don't you think ? ...I bet macys can't even find 3500 employees worth their weight in salt on a sales floor these days. My old man & I could sell an eskimo ice cream, but the workforce today, after 2 decades of walmart/internet/fancy college degrees & public schools, couldn't sell water in the middle of the sahara...& we wonder MACYs has seen hard times

January 05 2011 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Hopefully, they'll be hiring people with at least half a working brain. I won't go into all the gory details of my Macy's experience this weekend, but I'm pretty sure I won't be shopping there again.

January 05 2011 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gail's comment

Probably because Macy's has been gradually getting rid of it's long-term (costly) employees. I had worked at my local Macy's for 20 years (since it was a Hudson's) and once it became a Macy's, they got rid of at least 10 long term employees. Most of the people there now are part-time or on-call workers, as they don't have to pay them insurance or other benefits.

January 05 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

January 05 2011 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

More service jobs with minimum pay.

January 05 2011 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment

I will have you know they have already hired a number of workers here for their warehouse positions as well as online positions. The warehouse positions begin at 9.85/hr and the online order processors are 9.75 to start. This is nowhere near minimum wages. My son works for them.

January 05 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply