AOL® JOBS LAPTOP CONTEST & SWEEPSTAKES
No Purchase Required to Enter or Win
- Eligibility: The AOL Jobs Laptop Contest (the "Contest") & Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") (collectively, the "Promotion") is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia) who are 18 years of age or older. Employees of AOL Inc., its advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Promotion, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with Promotion (collectively "Promotion Entities") and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are not eligible. All U.S., federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
- Sponsor: The Promotion is sponsored by AOL Inc., 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 ("Sponsor").
- Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Promotion constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Entry Period: The Promotion begins at 9:00 am ET on December 27, 2010 and ends at 11:59 pm ET on January 23, 2011 (the "Entry Period").
- Contest Entry: During the Entry Period go tohttp://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/12/20/free-laptop/, and leave a comment explaining why/how a new laptop will help you in your job search or career ("Submission"). Submission must be written in English will result in one (1) entry. Limit one (1) entry per person. The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person. Sponsor shall have the right to disqualify any entries that they deem to be obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, lewd, derogatory, inappropriate, or otherwise not in good taste, as determined by the Sponsor in its discretion. Your Submission is not confidential or proprietary. By participating in this Contest, you grant, assign, convey, and transfer all rights, title, and ownership, including without limitation all copyright and any other intellectual property and moral rights in the Submission to Sponsor and Promotion Entities. By submitting an Entry you hereby grant and license the Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, licensees, and legal representatives the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide royalty-free right and license to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote the Entry (as such may be edited and modified by the Sponsor in its discretion) in connection with the Contest and such other products or services as the Sponsor may designate in any medium now known or hereafter devised for editorial, commercial, promotional and all other purposes including posting on any websites. Submissions must be 100% your original work, and must not contain any third party material or content (including but not limited to any company logos or trademarks, likenesses, or any other copyrighted or trademarked content) for which you have not been granted specific written permission for this use by the copyright or trademark rights holder. You hereby grant to the Sponsor and their designees the right to use any edited Submission, or parts of a Submission, without your approval and waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Submission prior to or following publication and any right to compensation for the Submission. All elements of your Submission must be your original work and must be owned by you, and you must have the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to all of the materials, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity. Your Submission should not include the likeness of a third party, unless permission of said third party has been given, or contain elements not owned by you (including but not limited to trademarks or logos). By submitting your Submission, you agree to release and hold harmless the Promotion Entities and their officers, directors, employees, and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of your Submission or your participation in any phase of this Contest.
- Disclaimer of Similarities: Due to the nature of this Contest, there is a possibility that similar entries may be submitted by multiple individuals. Any similarity between Submissions shall in no way entitle you to any consideration or compensation from the Sponsor or from any third party, including in the event a Submission similar or identical to yours is selected as a finalist or winner in this Contest. Bysubmitting your Submission, you specifically acknowledge this possibility and agree to the terms stated in these Official Rules.
- Contest Judging: At the conclusion of the Entry Period, a panel of judges (the "Judges") will select seven (7) Contest winners based equally on the following criteria (the "Judging Criteria"): compelling nature of submission and how well the Submission was communicated. In the event of a tie, the submissions involved in the tie will be reviewed by an additional judge according to the Judging Criteria. Decisions of judges in are final.
- Contest Prizes: Seven (7) Contest Winners will each receive their choice of one (1) of the following laptops: 11.6 inch Apple MacBook Air (Approximate Retail Value "ARV": $999), OR HP Envy 14 (ARV: $999).
- Sweepstakes Entry: During the Entry Period go tohttp://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/12/20/free-laptop/, and follow the instructions to share the Promotion via Twitter and/or Facebook. Users will receive one (1) Sweepstakes entry for each share (limit 2 Sweepstakes entries per person). The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person.
- Sweepstakes Drawing: At the conclusion of the Entry Period, two (2) potential Sweepstakes winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible Sweepstakes entries received during the Entry Period. The odds of being selected as a potential Sweepstakes winner depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period.
- Sweepstakes Prizes: Two (2) Sweepstakes winners will each receive $500.
Requirements of the Potential Winners: Except where prohibited, the potential winners may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release and W-9 form (the "Affidavit/Release") within a specified time period. If a potential winner fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Release within the required time period, or if prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner. Acceptance of a prize constitutes consent to use winner's name and likeness for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
All details and other restrictions of prizes not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize (or portion of prize) is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. The winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Promotion is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Promotion to address the impairment and then resume the Promotion in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the screen name from which the entry is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Promotion, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Promotion Entities from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Promotion or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Promotion; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Promotion or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Sponsor's liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Promotion, and in no event shall the Sponsor be liable for attorney's fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. By participating in the Promotion, entrants further agree grant Sponsor and Promotion Entities the absolute right and permission to use entrant's name, address and/or photograph in any and all advertising and promotional materials, or to refrain from doing so, in any manner or media whatsoever, worldwide, for advertising and promotional purposes in conjunction with this and similar promotions without notice to me and without further compensation and entrants shall have no right of approval, no claim to any compensation, and no claim arising out of the use, alteration, distortion or illusionary effect or use in any composite form of my name, address, photograph or likeness.
- Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Promotion or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant's rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Promotion, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Promotion Results: To request the names of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to AOL Jobs Winners, c/o AOL, 22070 Broderick Dr., Rm 12A:H09, Dulles, VA 20166. Requests must be received by January 31, 2011.