Writing a resume as a recent college graduate can be quite challenging. When you're just starting out in your career, you have limited professional experience to prove the value you can bring to an employer.
By focusing on successes achieved during college and proving how these skill can be transferred to real work-life situations, recent college graduates can create attention-grabbing resumes that communicate a strong message of value. Recent college graduate, Samantha Kantor turned to ACRW resume writer Marjorie Sussman for help creating a strong first resume.
A one-page resume with an easy-to-read format was used to make it easy for Samantha to highlight important information. Sussman concentrated on Samantha's summer-abroad experience, which included creating, marketing, and launching a product.
Samantha found her dream job in New York with a boutique communications company shortly after graduation. Click here for a listing of current openings with communications companies. Hopefully, like Samantha, you too will find your dream job!
Spruce Street, Charlottesville, VA 22074 email@example.com 703-555-5555
Advertising & Marketing Professional
Outgoing, energetic professional with a successful record of embracing new challenges and a passion for the art of promotion. Driven to establish and achieve business objectives. Excellent listening skills and a positive demeanor. Resourceful team member, skilled in identifying project needs and creatively solving problems. Conversational German.
Branding, Communications, Product Development, Launches, Project Planning, Relationship Building, Market Analysis, Trend Tracking, Organization, Planning, Follow-Through
Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communications, Advertising Major
University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA, 2009
Study Abroad - Fashion Center Rome, Summer 2009
One of only 14 students selected for study in Rome. Coursework: Made in Italy - Marketing the Distinct Italian Brand and Italian Culture, History, and Ethics.
- Engaged with local entrepreneurs and corporate marketing professionals to gain insight into their marketing and advertising strategies for global brands.
- Participated on 4-member team whose 6-week project entailed creating, marketing, and launching a "Made in Italy" natural skincare product line.
- Derived 4-product line from white figs of Cambria renowned for their mythological significance and age-defying, regenerative powers.
- Conducted market research to determine target demographics, branded the product, wrote advertising communications and press releases.
- Developed launch budget and coordinated logistics of a New York "launch party" in cooperation with large fitness center and restaurant.
- In addition to course requirements, created book on product line derivation, marketing and advertising, advertising budget planning, bottling identification, and packaging design.
Highlights of additional coursework:
- Market research and ad campaign with a new angle for the Maybelline brand.
- Ad campaign for new Williams Sonoma gourmet salad dressing.
- Homecoming Alumni Tour Volunteer, 2009
- National Student Advertising Competition, 2008
- Campus Outreach, 2006-2008
Windows & Macintosh O/S, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
MS Office Suite, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
Macy's - New York, NY: Sales Associate (Women's & Men's Accessories), 2006 Part-time summer and holiday: Set store record for $8,000+ sales in one day.
Con Corporation - Apple, VA:Inventory Specialist/Secretary, 2006-2009 Full-time summer and holiday position with global manufacturer/supplier of paper products.
University of Virginia Medical Center - Patient Records/Secretary, 2007-2008 Part-time clerical position that included creating 16-page patient brochure.
Barbara Safani, owner of Career Solvers, has over fifteen years of experience in career management, recruiting, executive coaching, and organizational development.
Barbara partners with both Fortune 100 companies and individuals to deliver targeted programs focusing on resume development, job search strategies, networking, interviewing, salary negotiation skills, and online identity management.
She is the author of Happy About My Resume: 50 Tips For Building a Better Document to Secure a Brighter Future and #JOBSEARCHtweet and her award-winning resumes are featured in dozens of career-related publications.