Top Ten Holiday Part-Time Jobs

Looking for a part-time job over the holidays? Now that Thanksgiving has passed the shopping season is in full swing, but no worries, many stores are still adding staff in order to keep up with the season's increased demand.

Most holiday opportunities are in (or related to) retail but the the good news is that there's something for everyone on our list of the top ten part-time holiday jobs.

1. Package Handler/Driver's Helper, UPS

A busy shopping season makes for a busy shipping season and to keep up with demand UPS needs thousands of extra package handlers and driver's helpers. In many areas they're still hiring and perks include a variety of 4hr shifts to choose from (early mornings, evenings or nights) and a "world class" benefits package for part-time staff.

2. Retail, Nordstrom

Even during the recession Nordstrom managed to scrape by without laying off a single employee, and they did so while providing a generous benefits package to part-timers and creating a culture that earned them spot #53 on Fortune's 100 best companies to work for.

3. Package Handler or Customer Service Rep, FedEx

After laying off less than 1% of its workforce during the recession FedEx has rebounded nicely, reinstating merit salary increases, hiring new staff, and being as busy as ever this holiday season transporting and delivering packages.

4. Santa or Santa's Helper, Various

Working as a Santa, Santa's helper, Elf, or photographer is the ultimate in feel-good employment. What better, more festive way to spend your time earning money than making children and families smile and create precious new memories at Christmas?

5. Barista, Starbucks

Starbucks has been on Fortune's Best 100 list for years and they love their part-timers. Known for fostering a cheerful and fun work environment they're all about keeping those holiday shoppers energized and offer their employees flexible scheduling and benefits that include free coffee every week.

6. Retail, Best Buy

Televisions, computers, and tech gadgets are among the most popular gifts come Christmastime so it's no wonder Best Buy is among the biggest hirer of seasonal staff and looking to add as many as 29,000 new employees. If you like gadgets and tech it could be a fun way to earn extra cash.

7. Retail, JCPenney

Retail is a hot spot during the holiday spending season and not only does JCPenney plan to be as busy as the next store but they have locations everywhere and offer a variety of part-time opportunities from call center to cashier. Plus for those who stay on they have a great part-time benefits package.

8. Retail,Toys"R"Us

If everything retail is going to be crazy busy why not work where you're surrounded by bright colors and the joys of childhood? And it helps that Toys"R"Us is doubling its workforce by adding 45,000 workers in order to staff as many as 600 pop-up stores in malls around the country.

9. Retail, Build-A-Bear Workshop

Indulge your inner child by working in a place where, of all things, Teddy Bears are created and born. Build-A-Bear Workshop is also on Fortune's 100 Best list (#80) and with 80% of their employees being part-time you know they'll value your contribution.

10. Retail, Kohl's

Hiring 40,000 new employees for the 2010 holiday season they're among the biggest seasonal hirers this year and depend on holiday sales for as much as 30% of annual profits. Plus, since they carry a little bit of everything, the employee discount could come in especially handy.

Jackie

Thats Right, SCREW RETAIL, IT SUCKS!! =O

May 04 2011 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

I don't want Retail jobs! =(

May 04 2011 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikesmizfit381

I applied to JC Penneys, Best Buy and Toys R Us. Toys R Us flat out denied me 30 seconds after i did the application. I even wrote to the human resources of the company with NO response on why they denied me! None of these companies ever got back to me. Screw all of them! I got a better job in the long run by becoming a bank teller. Screw retail!

December 01 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mikesmizfit381's comment
Dyan Bailey

Were you able to get the bank job without previous experience? what about a college degree? Just wondering because there are a few bank teller jobs available in my area.

December 13 2010 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Regarding working at JCPenney for the holidays being good, my friend said he couldn't miss an evening to go to a school function for his kid because JCPenney would fire him and get someone else to take his place if he missed a day of his seasonal employment.

That's not fair.

December 01 2010 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ebeth

Liguy:
This article was posted yesterday. I have read that Kohl's was hiring a lot more people this year than they had been the last two years. So, that in itself is an improvement. However, my boss kept me on after the 2006 holiday season. I was very happy that I did not have to be hunting for a job again. I worked at Ross for a short time and let me tell you I did not even work two weeks for them.

I worked seven days out of the whole time I was there. I was very unhappy that I had nothing to do, except sit on my butt all day and watch tv or be on the computer and sleep and eat. It was not fun at all. After about a month, they asked if I wanted some hours. So they gave me 7am-11am. I was not happy since they agreed that I would come in no earlier than 8am, as my mom has to drive me to and from work every day that I work.

A few days later, my current workplace called. She basically hired me, except for my background check, which was fine. I have had anywhere from 9 hours to 34 hours a week since I was kept on at my current job. I quit Ross the following Monday. I handed in my resignation letter and left promptly. The manager was none too happy that I had quit on the spot.

I wanted to tell him, you know what I was hired for part time work, not intermittent work. It is not my fault that you hired too many people. I have had 25 hours since I was hired. That is it. I can go work at the base just down the road and work a lot more hours than I have had here combined.

Sometimes, the first opportunity does not work out well, at least in my case. And I have not stepped foot in that Ross ever again. The way they treated me, I decided I would be better off without them and have a better future. So far it has turned out that way and hopefully stays that way for awhile.

December 01 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Ray

Yeah right. Try being 60 years old. Even the Santas are in their early 50's. How about trying the truth and reality of it all. Or better yet, how about listing all of those wonderful employers out there who do not discriminate against age and hire people 60 and over. I'll bet your list is pretty short.
Merry Christmas to that.

December 01 2010 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
changopower4u

OVER 3/4 % OF OUR TOWN IS ON SOCIAL SERVICES. I WISH THOSE STORES WERE IN THIS TOWN WE DON'T HAVE ANY OF THEM HERE.

December 01 2010 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to changopower4u's comment
gregory

Sounds like more propaganda from our wonderful media.. Lie's Lie's and more Lie's......

December 01 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Absolutely, no response from anyone even for holiday help. I'd have taken a door greeter's job at Walmart. The thing is, you have to get them to notice you first. None of the places, except for Target, acknowledged that I'd ever applied.

December 01 2010 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John F.C. Taylor's comment
betty

I wish you luck. I have been on so many interviews. I have years of experience in Customer Service/working as an OEM account rep.

I go in for the interview and they realize I am 60. It is over!! I will just try part time, but nothing but the dog and pony show.

Our crooked goverment wants to push the retirement age up. Well, they need to stop the age discrimination now.

Good luck and God Bless,

December 01 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
liguy

I don't think so. How old is this article?? Even IF these businesses were hiring, by the time they put you through the hiring process, the Holidays will be over. Retailers will be letting people go in droves after the Holidays, and they are reluctant to take on more people now. Just work the ones they have to death and get by with as few as possible.

November 30 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to liguy's comment
CJ

I agree with you. The hiring process takes several weeks now with online applications. I've put in applications and haven't heard from HR (if anyone) for 3-4 weeks. I also agree that companies are going to work the employees they have to death and those employees are going to work because they want to keep the job and get the overtime.

December 01 2010 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply