Scooping Ice Cream Now Considered a Potential Job Hazard

An Alberta woman has successfully completed a workers compensation claim for re-injuring a past shoulder injury from repeatedly scooping ice cream at her job at a convenience store. Her claim, which was initially denied, was finally approved after she appealed it after finding out that her injured shoulder would require surgery to repair the rotator cuff.

While her first weeks on the job were fine, the summer months required her to consistently scoop frozen ice cream, and she finally left the job because of the physical toll. The National Post reported that while it seems like low-impact work, the job does require quite a bit of rigorous and repetitive activity. Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Steven Reed stated that reaching in and out of a cabinet at arms length can be strenuous. "It's basically poor ergonomics, and they're doing it repetitively."

2cents

I was hired to manage an ice cream shop with limited times I'd actually have to scoop. The owners continually took employees I scheduled off the schedule forcing me to run the store with minimal help. After several months (because I had been unemployed for 6 months and NEEDED the paycheck) and a street fair that led to 6 hours of constant scooping I dislocated my shoulder AND was told by my doctor a couple of ribs were beginning to separate under the strain. Some ice cream flavours are harder than others especially when they're constantly replaced straight from the deep freezer. And it's not so easy to use your weaker arm for a job your stronger arm already can't handle...that's like telling a right-handed writer if you get a cramp while writing just switch to your left.

January 21 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LT

Got a paper cut on a piece of mail, I need to sue USPS for delivering hazardous material.

November 18 2010 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LT

I had a mild headache the other day from sitting at the computer a bit too long, so I need to sue Dell for my suffering!

November 18 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Oh yeah, I'm going after Charmin next. It's not fair that I have to wipe my own arse every day!

November 18 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Megan

Did the doctor slap you too hard when you were born? Or not hard enough? You have no idea what you are talking about, but obviously that doesn't stop you.

November 18 2010 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GLADYS CARROLL

GUESS WHAT!! THATS WHY THEY CALL IT WORK!! NOT A SOCIAL ACCTIVITY!! ONE IN 19 AMERICANS ON DISSABILITY JUST WENT UP TO 20+++++++++++++++

November 18 2010 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Megan

I used to work at an ice cream parlor. I never had an injury, I've never had a law suit in my life, but I have to say, scooping ice cream can be very difficult. A lot depends on how frozen the ice cream is. If it's frozen solid, you have to hold your arm (wrist, elbow, and shoulder) very stiff and put a lot of strength into trying to get a scoop, while you're bent over and reaching down. Doing this over and over when you have a line of people waiting so you're trying to hurry is a definite recipe for disaster. Ice cream parlors should always make sure the freezers are kept at a temperature where the ice cream is soft, but they usually don't. People who are criticizing this woman have no idea what they are talking about.

November 18 2010 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
exoticdoc2

Stupid. We can't encourage stealing tax money over things which are a natural part of a job. All jobs have risks, most have some kind of repetitive tasks. Live with it.

November 18 2010 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Wow if you cant even scoop ice cream then what can you do? You're pretty worthless at this point and would be unable to function at any type of business. Was the other injury from working at a call center where she had to pick up a telephone and dial buttons sometimes?

I think I'm going to sue Nike. I've been tying my own damn shoelaces every day for years. That is unfair and I need money to compensate for all my grief!

November 18 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan's comment
Megan

November 18 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suny

No it isnt BS. My friend at work is at the dessert station for 8 hours in our university cafe. She has to scoop 8 different kinds of frozen ice cream out of the round containers per order. We feed 1000-1200 students per day. She goes thru aprx 600 ice cream cones / one scoop per cone and about 280 bowls at 2 scoops per bowl. That is aprx 1160 scoops per day/ 5 days per week. Her third year on the job while she was in the middle of a scoop she heard POP! up in her shoulder. About a half an hour later she couldnt move her arm at all. She had torn a tendon and had to be off for it to heal. She now has intermittent problems with it every few years and will need surgery eventually. SHE NEVER HAD PREVIOUS PROBLEMS with her shoulder or arm BEFORE WE GOT THE ICE CREAM in our dessert department. Her doctor says its the constant repetative motion and the stress on the same tendons over and over again. SO IT IS TRUE PEOPLE!

November 18 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply