400,000 Truck Driving Jobs to be Filled by End of 2011

truck driving jobsTruck driving has 400,000 jobs to be filled by the end of 2011, reports CNN Money. During the next 15 years, that demand goes up to one million.

There are three reasons why so many jobs have opened up in the field of driving trucks. One is that the average age of the current drivers on the road is 55 or older. They want to retire. Second, stricter safety standards pushed drivers with bad driving records off the road. And third, the recession triggered layoffs, and many of those cut found other ways to make a living.

Because of this demand, Rosayln Wilson, who researched a report for the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals on the shortage of drivers, expects the median wage to increase. Currently it's at about $37,730. Wilson added that trucking companies are beginning to experience a drop in applications as other sectors of the economy pick up. They could be inclined to put together a good package of wages, benefits, and other perks for the new generation of drivers.

To find employers in your area, key in trucking companies on a search engine and go from there. Or use the old-fashioned print yellow pages and turn to trucking.

Find Trucking Jobs

Next: Ice Road Trucker -- Scariest Job in the World

kbvp625

I drove for over 25 yrs. I know why there is a shortage, nobody wants to put in 14 hours a day for such little pay. In this industry there is no such thing as overtime,sick days, vacation time or anything even remotely related to family time. Companies don't care about D.O.T. rules or their drivers....only the load and the money. To them drivers are a dime a dozen. Just remember that if you get sick/hurt out on the road you are not going to see your personal doctor for any help. The pay is crap. You are allowed to work up to 70 hrs in 8 days according to DOT...to the company this means that you must fudge the funnybook(log book) so you don't get fined. Just remember that the moment that that rig leaves where ever you loaded IT'S THE DRIVERS RESPONSEABILITY......NO ONE ELSE'S!!!!!!. They don't mention that all food,showers,and much are come out of your pay. $40,000 minus taxes,food, lodging,insurance,deductables and misc stuff bring the takehome pay down to about $10,000 a year all that for working 70 hrs a week with no overtime. Think about that before you get into the industry. If you worked for minnimum wage + overtime for 70hrs a week you would gross about $33,000 a year and be home everyday. Trucking doesn't pay that well at all!

November 08 2010 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j hudler

Ive driven double rigs for 34yrs. i had a slight tia Jan 31 at home. i can work idont have any lost of memory or use of limbs. i have 3 neurologist and my private dr says i can drive. i can pass dot exam, but dot wont let me drive for a year. dont care to be on road now but i think they could let me switch trailers in yard. dont think its fair. just trying to make ends meet. 35yrs of truckin mostley around dc and balttimore. guess govt will take care of my family.lol

November 08 2010 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
randy

another trick of hirring what did the driver do deliver the CHINES product to the warehouse, after delivery they were fired bec. nomore to diliver we wait when is another shipment from china and again hirring. or will wait the product finish from INDIA.

November 07 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TIna

We always had respect for truck drivers. My Dad taught us respect because he drove huge rigs in WWII and he knew what it's like to drive around a corner hauling about 100 men in the back. You had to learn that if a child or a dog walked out in front of your truck you cannot swerve off the road, you have to have control enough to keep going no matter what because the lives of the GI's in the back of the truck were worth more than that one child or an animal. Sounds horrible but that's how he learned to drive big rigs. People are idiots out there and if they would just realize how hard it is to manuver a huge long truck through traffic they might back off and give these poor guys some space!

November 07 2010 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

I saw a double tanker truck at the pass on the way up to the ski resort last year pulled over to the side of the road with the driver putting on chains in blizzard like conditions. On the back of the second tank trailer was an advertisement that said "Drivers Wanted, Top Pay". Sorry. I'll take my minimum wage patrol job any day any condition over that.

November 07 2010 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

The fourth and most prominent reason there is a need for drivers is that less and less people want to do it. It's a tough job that takes a certain type of character(and driving patience to put up with all the disrespectful auto idiots out there). That is why there are so many 50 year old plus drivers out there. Most of the younger generation are brought up in a different realm with high tech gadgets and where computers are standard learning tools, so most of them head for college or high profile careers that utilizes their tech knowledge. Also they are running away from blue collar jobs as recession after recession has steered them all to higher ground.

November 07 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curtis

I have been trucking for alot of years and proud to say I am working on the 2 million mile club with no accidents or speeding tickets,I have to agree with jalapeno DAC reports are BS these companys depend on a bunch of liers to hire drivers,and what I see on the road is these companys want non english speaking drivers, I guess they pay them less,than a red blooded American who has a family and that pays taxes and owns a house and a new vehicle to pay for,trucking is a joke anymore.I started driving trucks in 1982 .

November 07 2010 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moveover

The truckers in our area drives fast as if they could care less. Going around the bend without honking. I guess they are just fed up and bored with their work.

November 07 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to moveover's comment
harold

Jann;

I think you are taking ex-lax rectally. AND no, I am not a truck driver, I was a traveling salesman, who eventually covered the 50 U.S. States and 7 Canadian Provinces. Get your fat A__ __ out of your bed and drive across I-70, 80 or 90 in a blizzard.

November 07 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey

i remember traveling at night in alabama.... the fog was so dense i must've been doing about 20 mph. out of nowhere this big rig passes me and gets in front of me, guiding me through mississippi!!! God bless whoever this driver was!!!

November 07 2010 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
H.G. Cook

The best things to tell anybody about trucking is to check a Trucking company Fmcsa Ranking before changing to another company and the BBB, also save money (no credit anything). Check turnover rate. Become a O/O, only if enuff money (no credit). Also you could report a company on the Fmcsa website. Take classes thru OOIDA on running a Truck or check EHOW on operating and running a Trucking Company.

November 07 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply