Confessions of a Casino Security Guard: Trapped

As a security guard for the Trump Taj Mahal I once spent almost seven hours locked in a walk-in closet only to find myself fired and a wanted criminal when I was freed.

The night in question, I was assigned to be the hotel rover. This meant I would spend the night walking every floor and stairwell in the 23-floor structure. I was to look for guests in distress, messes that needed to be cleaned up and homeless vagrants. The first two responsibilities were obvious; looking for homeless people was another matter. In winter, as the temperatures outside dropped, the number of homeless people looking for a warm place to sleep increased. Usually they would inhabit the bus waiting area or hotel lobby, getting roused by security every few hours but then finding their way back. If you were the lobby rover, it was how you spent most of your shift in winter.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With
Security Guard Overview

Job Outlook

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, security guards held approximately 1.1 million jobs in 2008. Employment opportunities for security guards are expected to grow faster than average through 2018.

Companies Hiring

Related Job Searches

Salary

$23,460: Median annual wages security guards according to the May 2008 BLS report.

Provided by CareerBuilder

But some of the homeless were clever. They knew that each floor in the hotel had a huge walk-in linen closet. These industrious souls would sneak up in the hotel and create elaborate nests hidden in the back of closets. This meant that the hotel rover needed to enter and examine the linen closet on each floor. I had found two such nests prior and was looking for another when my situation became precarious.

I was on the 17th floor, doing my initial walk-through. I walked into the linen closet and checked the back; no homeless persons. As I turned to leave I noticed the wall phone was missing, so I made a note of it in order to fill out a report later. I then noticed that the inside door handle was also missing. I pushed on the door but it was securely closed. The hole where the knob would have been was small. First with my fingers and then with a pen I attempted to disengage the latch but to no avail. I was trapped.

I steeled myself for the embarrassment of having to contact Security Command using my radio to tell them I was trapped in a linen closet. Every other guard would hear me and the razzing would go on for days. Finally I depressed the send button.

"Alten to Command."

Nothing, no response, not even static. I tried again.

"Alten to Command, come in Command."

Again, nothing. There were several radio dead zones in the building, and now I was trapped in one. I positioned myself in every nook and cranny of that closet but didn't pick up so much as a crackle. I then wondered how long it would be before anybody noticed I was missing. My job required me to contact Security Command at least once every 30 minutes. I tried to do the math in my head. Thirty minutes without a call they might chalk up to negligence. So, an hour to figure it out, another 30 minutes of searching. I looked at my watch, 12:35AM. I should be found in time for my 2 o'clock break. And I stayed by the door in case any grave-shift housekeeping staff should happen by.

Two o'clock came and went. As did 3, 4, 5, and 6. At 6:20 a guard from my shift finally arrived. He told me that I had been fired for job abandonment and charged with larceny for stealing my assigned radio. I handed him a vase full of urine and went to get a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

I was hired back immediately and all charges were dropped. By my next shift, the door knob and phone were replaced. Also, one of my co-workers had written "Alten's Laire" in the back of the closet.

It was flattering.

Next: Confessions of a Female Security Guard

Filed under: Confessions

james dean

A great story getting ready to get my class D &G licence's wondering what i have gotten my self into . LOL

April 29 2013 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 5:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

I have never been a security guard, but have been in positions where I was a manager for a large company. I was responsible for the entire operation including the safety of all my employees. To make certain that there were no hazzards, I would make my own safety audits besides having security guards. I would never enter an area, especially one with only one exit without making certain that I could get out. If someone had to enter into a secluded area alone, that person had to have someone posted outside. This man that claims to have been trapped had to be negligent to not notice that there was a problem with the door hardware as he went in.

November 08 2010 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim walker,mci,pi

This story sound quite real, based on, the exact detail of the a-z patrol procedure (SOP) by the night shift guard at an luxury hotel-casino. perhaps, for the safe of saving face or his job, lets say he did enter the closet and fell fast asleep until discovered by another guard. Questions must arise as to why no one reported his missing as "suspious or incident" taken place. What kind of guards neglect to check radio-check-in as not being suspect that their fellow officer may have fallen ill, being attacked or engaged in some sort of confrontation. It appears if theres any truth to this incident; all the guards should be held responsible for violations of the hotel safety/security SOP. There job is a very vital position for the Hotel and Casio's Guest/Employees. It's not a place for derelects!

November 08 2010 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Papierz Jr

I don't believe this is a real story. If he was truly trapped in that linen closet he would have pounded on the door to get someones attention or even broken it down and report the broken door on his next check in and call in the maintenance crew to make a temporary fix. Pretty transparant "tall story".

November 08 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Okay, so what was the "secret" or is AOL lying again with their front page headlines? This is becoming commonplace with AOL. They bait you with a sensationalized story headline and the inside story is not even close. It's the old "bait and switch."

November 08 2010 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stefanie Trump

Security??? HA. At any given time but especially during the night there are TONS of AC hookers strolling around the Taj Mahal. No other casino is as bad as the Taj.

November 08 2010 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cath

If I saw a "nest" in a linen closet I woul dthink the EMPLOYEES were sleeping OR Screwing in the closet.... I call BS too

November 08 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elorac

Any employee on duty who is missing for any undue period of time should set off warning signals to management. I would be furious if I were this guy. This occurrence indicates a total lack of care by the big kahunas -- in this case Trump -- and the fact that by the time he got out he had been "fired"... He did not say he banged on the door or anything to arouse the attention of even a guest who may have come to the rescue by opening the door on the other side. Casino workers have loads of wild stories to tell.

November 08 2010 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOHN

My friend at work was on a 4-midnite shift. At midnite, she got on the elevator. It stopped and had no lights. She was "Rescued" after 5:00am. Was anything done for her? Overtime pay? a day off? Nope, nothing. She was expected back at work the next day. Thats cold.

November 07 2010 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.