10 Jobs that Earn $60,000 per Year

Payscale

Though the National Bureau of Economic Research has declared the recession officially over, plenty of people are still struggling to make ends meet. Median family income is hovering around $50,000 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), and the Consumer Price Index keeps rising.

What's a working stiff to do? A salary boost just north of that median income can help, and may not be out of reach – even in this economy. Here are 10 jobs that earn $60,000 or more, according to online salary database PayScale.com, in industries that are expected to grow through 2018.

1. Senior staff accountant

Elizabeth Lions, a former recruiter and author of Recession Proof Yourself says that senior level staff accountants in most industries earn over $60,000 with or without the CPA. Most accountants have a college degree in accounting. Passing a special exam is necessary to gain certification. Lions says the potential for growth is great. "From senior level staff they would promote to accounting manager, then controller, and eventually CFO."

2. Project manager, Construction

Climbing the ladder (literally) can land a better paying construction job. With years of experience under their tool belt, laborers can work their way up to management. However, many employers are hiring construction managers with a bachelor's degree in a construction-related field. The growing need for energy-efficient buildings is expected to boost demand for project managers who can handle contracts, plans, and regulations as well as keep building projects running on time and on budget.

3. Electronic discovery professional

Sally Kane, editor-in-chief of Paralegal Today magazine says, "E-discovery is a $3 billion industry and growing rapidly." Using technology to manage electronic data and facilitate the exchange of information in litigation makes professionals invaluable to tech-challenged attorneys and clients. "Since the industry is new, no formal educational programs exist and most training is on the job," says Kane. To break in, obtain a bachelor's degree in legal studies, computer science, or information technology and obtain certification on specific software platforms.

4. Court reporter
A nationwide shortage of court reporters and the growing need for closed-captioning services for television programs has fueled the demand for court reporters, says Kane. Likewise, the Bureau of Labor statistics predicts need for court reporters to grow 18 percent through 2018. Kane notes, "The amount of training required to become a court reporter ranges from less than a year for a novice voice writer to an average of 33 months for a real-time stenotypist."

5. Paralegal

Kane points out that this is one of the fastest-growing positions in the United States as clients demand lower legal fees and lawyers delegate an ever-widening scope of tasks. Getting started can be as simple as earning a paralegal certificate and/or a two-year associate's degree. Those with a bachelor's degree will find the most employment opportunities.

6. Physical therapist

Health care is one of the fastest growing industries, and physical therapists (PT) are in serious demand. The BLS estimates the PT field to increase by 30 percent in the next decade thanks to greater patient access to services, as well as rising numbers of aging baby boomers. These jobs are not for the weak; therapists may have to squat, lift patients, and stand for long periods. Additionally, PTs need to earn an advanced degree from an accredited physical therapy program and must pass a state licensing exam.

7. Physician assistant

The cost of health care is rising right alongside the need for specialized professionals. Efforts by hospitals and patient-care facilities to control costs mean rapid job growth for physician assistants (PA). The BLS estimates the demand for PAs to increase nearly 40 percent through 2018. Nurses, EMS workers, and paramedics can accumulate on-the-job training to become a PA. Other requirements include a college degree, completion of an accredited education program and passing a national exam for a license.

8. Certified safety professional

Safety is a broad category, and a professional's responsibilities run the gamut from designing safe work spaces or inspecting machines, to testing air quality. Most jobs require a bachelor's degree in occupational health, safety, or a related field -- but it's worth it to tap into an industry that's expected to post double-digit growth in less than 10 years. With health insurance and worker's compensation adding to the bottom line, many businesses are looking for professionals specializing in construction safety and ergonomics.

9. Elementary/Secondary School administrator

Given the sheer number of Millennials (born between 1981-1999) who are still in school, and the rate of retirement among boomer educators, it's no wonder the BLS predicts robust growth for school administrators over the next 10 years. Teachers are most likely to fast track into an assistant principal or principal job in a public school, especially if they hold a master's or doctoral degree. States do require principals to be licensed as school administrators.

10. Automotive service manager

Automotive technicians and mechanics won't start out at $60,000. But, with several years of experience and some additional training, they can work their way up to a well-paid management position -- especially if they are already certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). Managers must be able to handle paperwork using available system tools, including computer technology. There's room for growth as retiring technicians need to be replaced and more advanced auto technology gets implemented.

Next: 15 Jobs That Pay $50 an Hour >>

Mr frank paul

Hello,
Are you in dept? Have you been denied of loan from Bank? Or do you need a
loan to pay off bills? worry no more,Your help comes now, Mr frank paul
company is a loan lending firm that offers all kinds of loan to people,
firms who are in need of loan with a low interest rate of 3% contact us via
email: frankpaulloancompany@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION FORM (FILL AND RETURN BACK)

FIRST NAME
LAST NAME
AGE
SEX
ZIP CODE
COUNTRY
STATE.
CITY
MOBILE NUMBER
OCCUPATION
Monthly Income
AMOUNT NEEDED
PURPOSE OF LOAN
LOAN DURATION
We await your urgent response.
Regards,
Mr frank paul

December 13 2010 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hmmmm

Why so racist Richard K. ?

November 08 2010 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hmmmm's comment
bryan

boy u r the stupid one, he wasnt being racist, WHITEMAN commented right above him nimrod !

November 09 2010 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharyn

Right On Steve R. Well said!!!!

November 05 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick Little

Thats just horable. I will never use Fedex again!!!!!! Thats a promise!!

November 05 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

All the resturants in our area are being taken over by mexicans, and when I wanted a business loan I was told if I was a minority, I would get a loan, but there are no programs/grants/breaks for non-minorities, thus without a very large downer, I was denied. Obamanomics at work, not only are good paying jobs gone, now I can't even start up my own business.

November 05 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra

No one mentioned Nurse Practitioners in this group.

November 05 2010 at 6:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sandra's comment
Lisa

Because nurse practitioners make more than 60K

November 05 2010 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karlbmiles

Good jobs require education, training, certification, and dedication. I make 6-figures because I have all that, so no Mexican can take my job.

Parents, make sure your kids know that schooling ends when they graduate from college and land a good career job. Schooling has to be important, bigger than drugs, tattoos, bi-sexual experimentation, gang-banging, getting knocked-up, running up credit cards, and the other behaviors that assure failure.

November 05 2010 at 6:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jws

I find most of these comments a little bit off key, as there are the fact that when I was in a position with the Gov the observe the work force in many industries,,,that the American worker for most part is lazy and wants more money and benefits than deserved,,Most want time off take long lunches and come in late every day.
They complain about the illeagals and the hispanics stealing jobs,,these jobs most Ameerican white or Black dont show up and wont accept the pay,,,they will draw welfare first.
I have been in many plants where the hard jobs many I did when I was young had 90% hispanic doing the job and doing it well.
The unions started out a good thing for the working man but then greedy crime lords got into it and pressured the Big business to send work out of the country as I have to agree when I saw workers standing around doing nothing for 25.00 and hour for a job that was half that in skill or brain power.
So people wise up ,,quit blaming the Government, the industry and the illeagals,,,If you want to work you can work but you will have bto humble your self to those jobs that the so called stupid and lazy are doing....

November 05 2010 at 5:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jws's comment
JP

OH, hws!!!?? You said you have/had worked for the "'Gov' the observe the work force in many industries,,,that the American worker for most part is lazy and wants more money and benefits than deserved,,Most want time off take long lunches and come in late every day.to observe...????" I CERTAINLY have RESERVATIONS about your 'position' in said 'Gov', but, then again you probably DID work there!!!
MOST ALL of your SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, USE of the ENGLISH LANGUAGE, AND, SIMPLY SYNTAX & NONSENSICAL SENTENCE COMPILATIONS are INDICATIONS that YOU REALLY NEED TO CHECK YOURSELF FIRST WHEN CRITICIZING OTHERS!! GO BACK TO 'SCHOOL'!!

WOW!! That didn't take as long as I thought it would!!

CIAO!!

November 09 2010 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willy Wise

What Do You Get If You Enter A Country Illegally

If you cross the North Korean border illegally you get 12 years hard labor.
If you cross the Iranian border illegally you are detained indefinitely.
If you cross the Afghan border illegally, you get shot.
If you cross the Saudi Arabian border illegally you will be jailed.
If you cross the Chinese border illegally you may never be heard from again.
If you cross the Venezuelan border illegally you will be branded a spy
and your fate will be sealed.
If you cross the Mexican borders illegally you will jailed for two years.
If you cross the Cuban border illegally you will be thrown into political
prison to rot.

If you cross the United States border illegally you get:
1 - A job (that used to belong to a legal American)
2 - A driver's license
3 - A Social Security card
4 - Welfare
5 - Food stamps
6 - Credit cards
7 - Subsidized rent or a loan to buy a house
8 - Free education
9 - Free health care
10 - A lobbyist in Washington
11 - Billions of dollars in public documents printed in your language
12 - Millions of servicemen and women who are willing to - and do - die
for your right to the ways and means of our constitution
13 - And the right to carry the flag of your country - the one you walked
out on - while you call America racist and protest that you don't get
enough respect.

November 05 2010 at 4:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Willy Wise's comment
JD

Steve R....100% agree !

November 08 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria Ann

Yes . . . As a single woman with 25 years experience in my industry, I was recently laid off along with 4 others in my department. We were replaced by outside consultants . . . 2 out of 3 of them were not American by birth, as I am, yet they now have my job. I have to support a teen age boy, and I need health insurance. My COBRA was over $700 a month, and I own a house, pay taxes and bills, and could not afford it on NYS maximum unemployment benefits of $405 per week. 3 out of 5 jobs are given to people with a work visa, and I am not eligible for an individual insurance plan being unemployed. The free insurance offered must be published in another language because I can't find information on it at all anywhere in English. I can't get hired for many jobs because they say I'm overqualified, and part time work has no benefits. I'm applying for 12 jobs per week, as each day there are no new jobs posted. I am lucky to have family and friends to help me until I find a job, however, many Americans have no one. A former friend of mine married an illegal woman from South America, who is working as a Branch Manager at a local Bank . . . Notice they are no longer my friend. I have the experience to have that job. I assure you, I am unable to obtain wellfare, food stamps and free health insurance. . . I would be embarrassed to take from my government, when veterans are living on the streets jobless and homeless. Hopefully someday someone will take care of Americans.
You make many good points. I work for my home, and everything I have, and will only take help from friends and family, because I can repay them somehow when I'm back on my feet again. The government isn't helping me, and I am born an American Citizen.
Thanks for your post.

August 01 2014 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gr8bsn

Actually, not only is this story not true, but it's spam.

November 05 2010 at 3:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply