MLM Success: Mailman To Millionaire with Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

mlm pre-paid legalWe all have friends like Mike Humes: that ambitious guy who bucks the system a little and is never content to just be. He marches to the beat of a different drummer, not because he is defiant in any way, but because he is hungry and never wants to settle for something average -- he is an entrepreneur in every sense of the word.

Well, different is not always bad, and when it comes to the constantly changing face of the economy, different can be lucrative.

Just ask Mike Humes, a mailman that became a millionaire selling legal services for Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. because he chose to break the job mold.

Mike had a secure, stable job with the U.S Postal Service as a mailman and was able to purchase his first house by the age of 21. He could also predict his salary (raises and all) for the rest of his life -- and that is exactly why Humes choose to buck the system and think outside the box.

How Humes got started

Pre Paid Legal Services, Inc. (PPL) was not Humes' first attempt at running his own business. Prior to PPL, Humes also worked with American Communications Network, selling cellular services, a satellite company that sold dish services and channels, and a vitamin and water company similar to Amway. All of them turned out to be money pits for Humes and did not offer him any more financial independence or personal freedom than he had as a mailman.

"A coworker tried to explain PPL to me, but based on my friend's description, I judged the company and wasn't interested. I wanted out of the rat race, and at first PPL didn't appeal to me as a business venture, or as a minority," Humes said.

But after Humes' grandfather died without a will to his name, Humes signed up for a membership with PPL because one of the perks for joining was a free will-writing service.

Humes quickly learned the benefit of not only having these legal services, but that he also wanted to help others benefit from these services.

Start-up costs

Humes' total initial investment was $249 to become an associate (allowing him to sell PPL services to others) and his monthly membership with PPL is $26 -- but that gives him unlimited access to top-notch legal services.

In 1998, Humes was not yet convinced that another shot at running a MLM company would work, so he worked 65-plus hours a week as a mailman, and sold PPL on the side part-time.

Humes finds success

In his first month selling PPL services, he earned $5,000 and was really happy with the results: "Once people see that they can have access to these services for just $1 per day, the services sell themselves."

After nine months working as both a mailman and a PPL associate, Humes left his career with the Postal Service and sold PPL full-time, making $180,000 his first year working almost exclusively from home. Each year since, Humes has increased his annual income.

Twelve years later, Humes is a PPL regional vice president for five states and the District of Columbia. He is the youngest inductee into the PPL Millionaire's Club, he leads more than 100,000 associates, and he is part of an organization called Team NuVision) that has created nine other PPL Millionaire Club members.

"Anybody can get started like me. I was a mailman. An introvert. I wasn't a talker. Anybody can come into this company, whether you are 18 or 80, and be successful," Humes said. If you want to be like Mike, the good news is that you can.

Pros and cons

"People are both the blessing and the curse in this business," Humes said. "You have to take the good with the bad -- and while it is sad to see the negative side of people and learn that most people, even your friends, lie about things, the people you are exposed to because of PPL open many doors." Humes also says that being surrounded by so many people that were hungry for more helped to keep him motivated as well.

Humes also likes that his schedule is his own, because then his life can be his own too. Humes builds his work schedule around his daughter -- her dance classes and her school schedule -- because she is what is important to him. He likes to drop her at school in the mornings before going home to work, while most other parents are rushing off to the grind.

Just rewards

PPL has been around for 38 years and is continuing to grow its membership and expand the services it offers, and has worked for Humes as a viable business and career. "It will always be in business because we will always have laws," Humes said.

While PPL took Humes from mailman to millionaire, remember that this may not be the same for everyone; perhaps selling legal services is not your thing. Over the coming weeks you will have access to a series of features about various MLM/DS companies through AOL Jobs to help you decide which one might be right for you.

Advice from Mike

Mike learned his career lessons through a lot of trial and error, including failed attempts at various entrepreneurial endeavors. Based on his experience, he recommends the following:

• Do solid research. If you can punch holes in the company's business model, then it's probably not the answer you have been looking for.
  • Sexiness and glitter do not always last.
  • Find a company that makes you grow as a person.

-- YoUr Turn! Have an interesting story to tell? Submit it to AOL Jobs.

Paul

Becoming part of Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. as an Independent Associate changed my life! I learned that working for others is the norm and the norm doesn't provide the life I deserve! This is an excellent opportunity, helps people with services that are affordable and needed, and most of all, it's recession proof. In both good times and bad, people need PPL!

December 01 2010 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobbie J

I agree with the other comments posted. Pre-Paid Legal is wonderful!

November 08 2010 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Frack

Mr. Humes is quite a success story and an awesome leader in Pre-Paid Legal Services. There are hundreds more just like him who saw the need and the chance to build a life for his family and many other families also. It shows that anyone with the initiative and desire can take this opportunity and build it as deep as they want starting off part-time. Thank you Pre-Paid Legal Services for this wonderful business opportunity and for our amazing nationwide network of the best attorneys in the world.

November 04 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Robinson

I have to agree with the other posters about Pre Paid Legal Services (PPL). As a single mother I can attest to the fact that this opportunity is a great way to generate extra money while involving your family as well. The product is something you don't have to be ashamed to market (who hasn't needed legal advice at some point in their lives?)and the company is as reputable as they come! On top of the business side PPL, as an Associate you have the opportunity to meet and learn from some incredible individuals who have not only found great success with PPL but who give of themselves whatever they can, to help others achieve the same success or more. I have had the privilege of working with Michael Humes and can honestly say that he is the epitome of those who reach back not only within the company but within the community as well. This article is well deserved!!

November 04 2010 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa Robinson's comment
Melissa Goin

You have absolutely beautiful writing and I hope you have many reply's asking more questions about our beautiful company :) You sound like a very good leader to follow and I hope to have contact with you again. So much integrity in your words and I am aslo very blessed to have the same feelings towards our business/membership :) Blessings, Melissagoin@telus.net

November 07 2010 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Chernobelsky

First time I heard about Pre-Paid Legal in 1997, then 1999, 2003 and finally hearing about it again in 2008. I decided to become a PrePaid Legal member. This was the best decision I had made in my life. I had used the service more than 30 times. I have a big testimonial folder that I would like to share and show to anyone who is interested. I think it is a great timing for the opportunity this company offers. If you would like to learn more about the services this company provides or the business opportunity please send me an email to mchernobelsky@yahoo.com or call me at 503-358-3443. I am helping people Nationwide obtain this great service and help them become independent associate, so they can show & share this with other people while getting paid daily. Go to my site at: UiGetPaidDaily.com

November 04 2010 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derwin

Love this!!

November 03 2010 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seth

PPL is awsome wish i would have heard of it years ago. I would still tell everyone i run into about the services that we offer even if i didnt get paid for it (just dont tell corp. office that i still need money to pay my bills.) I belive it is something everyone should have.

November 03 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn Wooten

I was introduced to Pre-Paid Legal by my brother who was an attorney at the time and an associate. It is the best opportunity to get great service when you need help and to get paid for helping others who need help. Want more information, go to glennwooten.com

November 03 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda K Twilley

FANTASTIC article! It is my hope that anyone seeking a change in their circumstances realize that they can succeed with Prepaid Legal if they give themselves a chance. It IS the business of the 21st century. It is a win-win situation all around. Mr. Humes is a perfect example of that and I say thanks for the continued inspiration.

November 02 2010 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doris E Ratsch

A great service, a compensation plan that can't be beat and no quotas! What more could you ask for! I love PPL! dorisratsch@comcast.net

November 02 2010 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply