I am a RN who has been out of the loop for 15 years now. Raising my 3 children and helping my husband with his business at home so I can be with my children. How do I make my resume sound enticing for any employer out there? Other than the nurse refresher course I took, my skills seem so outdated. Any suggestions?

September 20 2011 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I thought that the reference to "pain points" in the first paragraph was pretty funny.

October 28 2010 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Judy's comment

"Pain" points is hilarious! But it shows exactly what can so easily happen. I'm a journalist ... I use Spellcheck regularly. But I missed this on the first read. Spellcheck won't pick up individual words containing no individual letter errors. They'll pass right under the radar and establish themselves smack in the middle of your text.

October 28 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I teach business communication on the college level. The tips are right on. I would only add that the candidate should always address the cover letter to an individual's name rather than some unknown entity. If it is a generic person to whom it is addressed, there is no guarantee it will find its way to the right person.

October 28 2010 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Nice articel!! We shred any resume that is generic, unsigned, or has spelling, syntax errors, etc. What we like is walk in candidates. We consider internet job hunting a nice tool, but only a first step. Head hunters are out as they seldom understand the complexity of our business.

October 28 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Wayne's comment
Gail Tate

I enjoyed reading the information regarding resume mistakes to avoid. I would also like to add, lying about accomplishments, and making sure you choose font and type size that all employers can read. The fancy fancy stuff
is not what I am looking for.

October 28 2010 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply