Ash A

Hi, I'm currently apply to apple- this is my first job application that requires a cover letter. How does one right a cover letter to Apple? thank you

July 26 2012 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I look for a job EVERY DAY. As an example, I've tried to get a job at Pizza Hut and AT&T selling cell phones. NEITHER company would hire me. Not because I'm unqualified. I'm over 50. I can serve a pizza and I use an iPhone and have been in Telecom for over 25 years. I'm qualified. I'm just old. So tell the GOP to shove it. Try and get a job today. I'm not lazy. I want to work and I HAVE to work to keep a roof over my head. Businesses are not hiring older workers.

November 21 2010 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeanne021556's comment
Nick Yetes

What about OVERQUALIFICATION do people not get get?

If you are 50 and worked in telecom and I am a manager at a pizza shop and I have to hire 2 new delivery people, who do I pick: the 50 year old who has worked at ATT and is a tech wiz and lived off of $60k+ salaries (probably even higher), or one of the 6 college grads who will work outside school hours gladly for $10 bucks / hour and doesn't know a better life yet. DUH. Its not an age thing. It is experience, it is what the persons past experiences are, and what the person is used to and expects form a job. If I am hiring for a low-paying, low-thinking job, I am not going to hire someone the opposite - even if they are a good worker and have tons of experience. The only exception would be if that experienced person came to me and rationally explained that he was passionate about being a delivery person because of, say, he likes to drive and interact with random people and really wants a change - as in he is choosing to go this route instead of just settling for it.

My advise to the people with too much experience for a job - find out what you are passionate about - what you would love to do - and go for those positions, or make them yourselves by becoming an entrepreneur.

January 26 2011 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Interesting article but it's a gross assumption to say you were "too old" or "not easy to mold." FWIW, I've seen Apple Store employees over the age of 30 - or they were a very old looking 20-something.

November 18 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I actually went through the last part of what she was talking about, so you get the email saying you have been selected for the second interview process. Out of of all the people (30-40 people) they selected about 6 or 7 people, they took us to the back of the Apple store and we went through a group interview. On the way in there you see people fixing the Apple products that had been brought in by customers to the Genius Bar, specialists who are on the phones for customers who call in. They then took us into a fairly small room, there was the store manager and one of the lead tech specialists and they ask you generic interview questions i.e., Tell us about a great customer front of everyone, so it can be a little nerve racking. You're there with the manager and one of the tech specialists they start to ask questions about how you started to use Apple products and what your favorite app was. It lasted about 1 hour, in the room we were in, there were big drawing boards with drawings of the Apple Products and notes on how to use the products and what sort of demographic they are going for. They did tell us that we were in the 2nd step of a 3 step process, where after the group interview, there would then be a one on one with the store manager. All in all I only got as far as the 2nd step but it was neat going in the back of the store and seeing everything that a normal customer wouldn't see.

November 18 2010 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I am very interested in knowing how you earned two degrees with the poor grammar and spelling abilities you've demonstrated here. Why would you want to work for a company for which you obviously have so much contempt? Do you think the hiring manager could sense your contempt and that is the reason you were turned down?

November 17 2010 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I love Apple products, but the fact remains that in all the times I've been to a store, I doubt anyone there is over 25, including the store manager. I feel your pain and frustration when you mention (lightly) about your age, however, the best way to fight against corporate brainwashing and age discriminatory practices is by boycotting their products. Remember: Steve Jobs is no spring chicken and none of those hippies that run it are younger than 55. In fact Steve Jobs is closer to the grave than many of us would think. And when the novelty wears out, many of these young people will choose to get real jobs instead of pretending to be happy to see more people coming through their doors. Let's see how well that Peter Pan experience pans out in the future. The vast majority of the consumers that drive the economy in this country are people over 30, not the 20 somethings Apple likes to cater to. Yet another reason a crappy product like WIndows outsells anything Apple makes any day of the century. Woo-hoo!

November 09 2010 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to manolo's comment

Hi Bud,

The only reason Windows outsells Apple is because Apple had a "closed model" early on, it also doesn't hurt when your selling crappy PC's for $200 LOL. Apple doesn't make cheap hardware bro, heads up

November 17 2010 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Funny, the last time I was in the Apple Store a couple weeks ago there were two workers who appeared to be in there 60s and the guy I talked to about a cable I needed was about 40. He was on the geeky side and a bit slovenly.

November 17 2010 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

think age discrimination comes to mind....disheartening to see one being considered too old before hitting 30....not to mention against the law

November 09 2010 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to larry's comment

This is why companies like Apple come up with such ridiculous hiring strategies that only people with no serious life plans could pass.

November 09 2010 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

bull shit! got 2 college degress and can't get an interview to work at OSH (owned by Sears). Applied for 3 posistions which are still open and they said" presuing other candidates". Probably just hiring retards and knuckle draggers. Goto a typical OSH and its the lowest quality workers ever, and I can't even get a job sweeping the floors!
I hate it when big companys say they are hiring just for good press.!

November 07 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ron's comment

Have you ever heard of being overqualified for a position? Companies are wary of hiring overqualified people, because they tend to get bored with the position quickly, and many times are looking at the job as a temporary living until they find something better.

November 10 2010 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Very interesting. I always wondered what it would be like to work for one of the Apple stores. I never bothered to think about what the interview process would be like. Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it.

October 24 2010 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply