Target Taking on Walmart, Hiring for Holidays

Target, the retail chain with the bright red logo, has been taking on Walmart -- and succeeding. That means both jobs and career opportunities for you at Target.

For example, Target has already entered urban areas like Chicago and Harlem, which Wal-Mart is just considering trying to do in the next few years. Also, Target, unlike Wal-Mart, went the extra step to create an "experience" for shoppers when they come into the store. Wal-Mart has retained its no-frills approach to the model for its stores.

Yes, Target is hiring for the holidays. In the San Diego metro region alone Target, along with Home Depot, will likely hire 4,200 to 5,200 temporary workers. What Target says it's looking for in its hires is ability to be flexible about scheduling hours as well as a positive attitude. Given its success, Target stores also frequently have help wanted signs on windows during all four seasons.

For those interested in working in retail, Target provides a different approach than does Wal-Mart. You might talk to employees at both chains and figure out where you'd be the best fit. If you are interested in part time, Target provides health benefits after three months.

-- Get your daily bite of employment news, views and scandals on AOL Jobs DimeCrunch

Denise F of Staten Island

THEY CAN'T BE COMPETING TOO MUCH. I SENT MY RESUME TO KMART SEVERAL TIMES THIS YEAR. I HAVE OVER 20 YEARS OF CUSTOMER/CLERICAL EXPERIENCE. NO REPLY AND NO DICE. OH WELL MAYBE I'LL GET A CHANCE WITH TARGET. KMART IT'S YOUR LOSS AND TARGET SMART GAIN.

October 18 2010 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SETHS1106

I WORKED AT A TARGET DC AND WAS LET GO FOR A STUPID RESON THAT THEY FOUND. IALWAYS WORKED HARD AND GOT GREAT ON ALL THINGS THEY SCORED. BUT DO TO ME HAVE TO TAKE FMLA FOR MY SICK CHILD THEY FOUND A REASON TO LET ME GO. SO BECARFUL WORKING FOR THEM. I DONT BLAME THE COMPANY I BLAME THE NEW BOSS THAT WAS NOT THERE FOR EVEN 90 DAYS THAT THEY BROUGHT IN TARGET DC HAS A BAD HABIT OF RUNNING OFF GOOD PEOPLE.

October 18 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Anyone with a BA, etc., is most likely over qualified and/or they probably aren't going to pay you what you expect. Retail temporary work pays pretty much minimum wage or a few cents more. You can't go to Target or Wal-Mart and expect to get paid $10-15/hr. That rarely happens even if you are there as a permanent part timer.

October 18 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paulthomasprt

Consider the possibility that there are other factors. Most people today who are or have been recently unemployed have credit issues, one prime example. Somebody just out of (or still in) High School has a better chance of clearing that hurdle, and make no mistake, it is a hurdle, one that didn't really exist until recently. In retail situations, employers' insurance company requirements often trump common sense, as they do in almost every other instance where insurance is necessary. They are the ones restricting hiring to basically those who've not been unemployed. It's a real problem. I know, because I was fired from a job I'd just started after they did a credit check. My credit had suffered after being unemployed for 4 years, trying to start my own business, and failing. That didn't stop me from doing the job, just from keeping it. Another company I found temporary work with told me that they didn't require drug testing. I asked why, and the owner said it's usually the insurance company that requires them, and he said he'd rather pay the higher rate, than require testing, and this is true regarding credit. Insurance companies will claim that a person with bad credit is a bigger theft risk. The hiring company looks for perfect candidates, and rejects the rest. I'm amazed at the way some people think the hiring process is the same as it was "when they got a job" because it isn't. Many of those who are now employed at Walmart couldn't get the same job today, which is true of almost all employers today. All those snotty people who claim there are jobs, people just don't want them, don't have a clue. Most would take a job at McDonalds or Walmart if they could get one. I know, I've tried. I even tried to get a job for free, and couldn't. Ten years ago my credit was good enough to buy some companies that turn me down, but that doesn't count. I believe it's just another form of class discrimination. Period.

October 18 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

I work at Target and I have a BS as well as a fulltime job working for the state I live in. They pay me great and I have had no issues with the company.

October 18 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to john's comment
Jane Genova

When I applied for my security guard job as a contract employee at Sephora I left off the resume education beyond the BA. I got the job. Then I got a better job. Then I started my own business.

TIME: Things I must earn.

October 18 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

This is a bunch of baloney! I have applied and been rejected by most of the major retailers including Walmart and Target. Who are they hiring??? I have a BA and spotless job history!!!!

October 18 2010 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
6 replies to Chris's comment
Henry Liebman

I am very concerned since I have applied so many jobs thru the internet, do they ignore the applications? I wonder if they keep and contact everyone.

October 17 2010 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply