I agree with what many people have pointed out here in their comments, that the most important thing in selecting a program is to do your research. Understand the logistics of a program and check for regional accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education – that’s critical.

At many colleges, your transcript does not indicate the manner in which you take your classes, so remember that you are pursuing a degree, not a delivery system. I always advise students to find a college and a program that fits their needs and learning styles. Many schools will allow students to take a combination of online and on-campus courses, but make sure to research tuition policies so you’re not surprised. At some schools, professors, textbooks and learning outcomes are the same, regardless of delivery. If that is important to you, ask. As long as you do your research and keep your goals in mind, online education can offer abundant opportunities to those who might not be able to access them otherwise. So do your research and take the time to make an informed decision!

Jon Lenrow
Associate Dean, Academic Operations for Peirce College

October 06 2010 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I am in the process of enrolling in Strayer University for online classes. Can anyone tell me the ratings of that school?

October 05 2010 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I wonder if any of these young college students even know what a 'book' is? The article says students with jobs can also get an 'online degree.' Hmmmm...they probably also have online jobs and work at home, and don't know a damn thing about 'hard physical work.'

October 05 2010 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Wow, this post is saturated with ignorance. Yes there are some scams out there and not all online education is the same. You have to do some research before jumping in. You must first check to see if the school is an accredited school. If it has accreditation, make sure it is one of the major accreditations. I believe there are three or four that are recognized by most employers. Many of these posts are referring to "For Profit" schools. These schools are very pushy for sales but some are still accredited like University of Phoenix.
If you are worried about the reputation of a school, many schools are now offering online education including Harvard. Penn State's online programs offer you the same degree that you would receive on campus, no difference between the two. They have been offering correspondence courses for around 100 years, so this is not something new. If you think that online classes through schools like Penn State are easy, you would be mistaken. Classes are taught by State College professors, the same professors on campus. Online classes actually take a lot of discipline and often have more requirements then some campus classes that give you credit for sleeping through class. Many classes require participation from everyone and exams often require a proctor.

October 04 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I earned my MBA online, and likewise....I double challenge most indiviuals to try that independently!

October 04 2010 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I agree with the post about University of Phoenix. I have two good friends who paid a fortune in student loans to get MBAs from University of Phoenix. They are doing the same jobs at the same rate of pay as I am. I earned my degrees years ago at University of Arizona, in class, not on line. University of Phoenix has ling been known as the "buy your degree" university.

October 04 2010 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I have a BS and MS degree and earned them in the traditional university way. Has anyone gone to an online law school for a JD???? Would you mind telling me the school, and what your experience has been? I would really appreciate honest replies. Thanks.

October 04 2010 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I finished my first masters online several years ago. Anyone who thinks online degrees are jokes obviously never attempted one themselves. Some of the programs do rob you, but any school can do that. Do your homework. Most programs allow you to test drive them first before you apply. I'm starting another degree now, since my job will pay for it. Different school and not as well set up. Price wise most of the programs are the same as if you went to a regular classroom. A "name" will only get you so far. You need a brain behind the degree.

October 04 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Gwen, are you out of your mind? Sure, these companies that are offering education are probably paying your salary, but come on.... you and I both know that the cost of taking them up on their offer is way out of control and can cost upwards of ten times the amount of going to conventional schools. Way to screw people, girl! Keep bending over their desks.

October 04 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I finished my last two years online with Troy University. It was a great experience and I recommend it to anyone. TROY is SACS accredited and many of their individual programs are nationally accredited. Troy University is a traditional school in Troy, AL, so they have the history and reputation to back their diplomas. If you want or need a degree other than through the traditional classroom setting please check out their eCampus. It's tops!

October 04 2010 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply