Karlita, Kelly and Adele thank you for your responses. I want you to know in no way was implying that one should be unprofessional at a working environment. However I was saying that missing a potentially good employee based on what they wore to an interview is not a good reason. Look at their resume, their person, if you like them at all. If you do not like what they wore why couldn't you say just point them in the right direction? Because chances are it's something correctable. It's your places of business. You can choose whomever you want.

September 13 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Sure another article about how it is the potential employee's fault for not getting the job. If certain people really do otherwise fit the position there is no way anyone there could just say "at Harper Mindley, we expect you to have a more conservative appearance please do the following. Welcome aboard." So massive amounts of employers are keeping people who would be suitable for various positions from obtaining gainful employment based on some type of fashion faux paux? So millions of unemployed are all just guilty of "wearing the wrong garments" to the interview? So the woman who wears red lipstick as her trademark color is out? The woman who is attractive and has an expensive lower cut blouse is out? The woman who wore too high of heel is out? The guy who shows he is a happy person by wearing a cartoonish tie is out? Has anyone thought that obviously things they are doing now may have been accepted before they applied at the present company? I mean really, they all had jobs within a fairly short time I doubt they were fired based on these "appearances". Especially those with excellent credentials. I say to anyone, never lose yourself for a job. After all fashion is not the only reason you may not get it. If employers can practice personal style discrimination on a whim more important people need to be informed of this. This should be stopped it is 2010 not 1970. People have tattoos, different colors of hair, exciting fashions. I notice these articles never mention what type of job we are even speaking about. We all know if it is for a professional company we go corporate. If it is for a telemarketing job, sales, bartender, movie set girl/guy, costume shop, promoter, construction we make look a lot different right? Most people present themselves in a way they can afford and are most proud of. They know they are a new face. I have seen people "overdress" for an interview as well. The people who were already working there were literally jealous of the interview's clothes because they were very expensive looking and more pro than the boss lol! So it really doesn't matter.

September 13 2010 at 3:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to osmpinkgirl's comment

Maybe you wanna take your nauseating crap somewhere else

September 13 2010 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

There's no such thing as too much cleavage!!!

September 12 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I wonder if the persons that come to an interview are ever told why they did not get the job ? I saw a lot of potential employees apply for a job with the goofiest garb. One that stands out was a man who came in wearing purple curly cued suit. Reminded me of "Prince". This was back in the late 70's and you can imagine how shocking that "look" was. Also nice looking suits with tennis shoes. What an eye opener when you work with the public. I have lots of stories about job applicants. Even back then I would have people come in and ask me to sign a form showing indicating that they filled out an application. Of course I did not do that. But using the system to their fullest was easier than getting a job when jobs were available.

September 12 2010 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I would like to add that the interviewee should remove all extraneous visible piercings and cover tattoos. In most cases, neon dyed hair is also not a good idea. I have interviewed many people and I can't believe what some show up wearing. I assume they don't really want the job and they're being forced into the interview.

September 12 2010 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

common sense seems to be something lacking in a lot of younger people/20s/ they seem to think others opinions of their dress is of no importance,, seems they would get the idea when they continually get passed over for a job

September 12 2010 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

My oldest brother once showed at a machine shop to apply for a job as a machinist. He was wearing a suit and tie. The last question the interviewer asked was, "Are you affraid to get your hands dirty?" My brother answered "No." He went to work the following morning. First impressions are very important. Always dress better than the job requires.

September 12 2010 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply