How to Find a Job in One Day

"Just tell us how to get a job!" you've implored us at AOL Jobs, and we listened. We're getting out the heavy artillery for you by posting the "One-Day Career Makeover" from the book 'Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.' It's a makeover you can give yourself at home, so it costs very little, if anything -- and you can do it no matter where you live. In just one day, it can put you head and shoulders above your competition.

Dare we say it? It can even be fun, if you do it right. This doesn't have to be an expensive, laborious, months-long process: Everything can be completed in a lively eight hours, the equivalent of one normal work day. Recently, Kristen went from looking like a fun mom to a fund raiser in a matter of hours. This recently divorced mother of three needed to re-enter the working world fast, and in only one day she was ready.

"I hadn't had a full time job outside the home in years--I was busy at home raising my kids," she said. "Everything had changed 180 degrees since last time I looked for work. It's overwhelming trying to figure out even where to start. This immediately got me going in the right direction."

Kristen's small son had recently battled cancer, and she decided she would like to work for a non-profit organization to help raise funds and comfort families. She needed to know how to incorporate her invaluable personal experience in her professional resume, how to use social networking to reach out to potential donors and sponsors and how to dress professionally to approach them in person. She was able to accomplish all of this and more in just one day.

Even if you already have a job, you might be worried about hanging onto it. Why not set aside a Saturday to give yourself this one-day career makeover, so you'll be ready to start a job search if, god forbid, you get laid off. It never hurts to reconnect with old (and possibly influential friends) This is also a helpful exercise if you're happily employed and seeking a promotion.

"Once I started suddenly dressing better for work and sharpening my image," said Anne, who prefers not to give her full name so as not to tip her hand, "people thought I was going on interviews for other jobs. Within two weeks my bossed called me in, asked me if I was happy, and offered me a raise and a promotion--even in this economy! It was great!"

Who knows? Once you complete these steps, you just might wake up the next morning and find, waiting patiently in your e-mail box, a few job opportunities from employers who are looking for you!

Here's your agenda:

8-10AM: Spend two hours producing a killer resume, highlighting your special skills and eliminating work experience that is irrelevant to the types of positions you're currently seeking. You might want to create a few different resumes, if you're applying for diverse jobs in different fields. See emurse.com for answers to all your resume questions, as well as resume templates and useful examples and tips.

10AM: Start the physical process. If you're feeling flush, go for a blow dry if you're a woman or a haircut and/or shave if you're a man, at your favorite (budget) salon. If you're watching your pennies, wash, dry and style your hair at home so you look your best

11AM: Women: Have your makeup done for free at the makeup counter in your favorite department store. You might want to at least buy a lip-gloss to thank them. If you're doing the home-version of this makeover, carefully do your makeup in-house, as if you were going to an important event. Men: Take this time to shave and trim any unruly facial hair.

Noon: Select a fresh, hip, outfit from your closet. Make sure there are pops of color in it -- no plain white shirts, or a boring cream shirt and black jacket combos. Feel free to use the news anchor's trick of wearing a colorful shirt/top and/or tie with jeans or sweats underneath -- you're only going to be shooting head and shoulders. No big prints, and no busy backgrounds. It's best to stand against a plain colored or brick wall, so no one will be able to tell where you are. Once you look your absolute best, have a friend, spouse, neighbor, whomever, snap several digital photos and download the best on your home computer.

1PM: Serve your photographer lunch -- it's the least you can do for his or her services. While you're eating, have your photographer proof your resume. You should NEVER send it out without having at least one other person proof it.

2PM: Select an elegant business card template from one of the many free online providers like Vistaprint.com or Bizcard.com. Some sites will print the cards for you free -- all you have to do is pay postage. You'll want these cards to have your name, your e-mail address, and your phone number. No street address, and only include your profession or the position you're seeking if you have something very specific in mind. Otherwise, leave it open.

3PM: Start your own blog so it will be easy for employers to find you online. Post that fabulous digital photo you just took and a professional profile using information from your new resume. Also, provide snippets, tips and teases from any online articles about your profession that you've read recently. Make sure you provide a link to the original article. A few sites that offer free blogs include blog.com, blogger.com and blogster.com.

4PM: Begin your social networking campaign. Post that flattering photo on LinkedIn.com, and fill in all the professional information that site allows you to. Remember to use the job title you're seeking quite a few times, so that recruiters who are searching for people in your field can find you easily. Send connection requests to people who work for companies you admire. You can do the same thing on a professional Facebook page. If you already have a personal Facebook page, start a professional one that has no pix of your kids, pets or any references to Farmville or Mafia Wars, etc. Find connections and friends in alumni groups, former employer groups and special professional interest groups on these sites, and any other networking sites that pertain to your profession. Search old yearbooks and company directories for ideas about connections.

5PM-on: Step away from the computer. Relax on the couch, kick your shoes off, pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage and indulge yourself with some mindless TV, reveling in the knowledge that even while you're sleeping, prospective employers could be searching for you, finding you, and praying that you'll take the job they're offering.

"It was a lot of work, and it was tiring, but it was actually a lot of fun," says Kristen. "When you look good, you feel good. I wasn't at all ready to go out and find a job before, but now, it's definitely time! I feel really confident!"

You can get more information about each of these steps in the book 'Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.' But if you're eager to get started right away, just do a search for the parts you want to clarify on AOL Jobs. Happy (and fast) job hunting!

Next: Seven Things Job Seekers are Doing Right >>

Related Stories from Forbes.com

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Lisa Johnson Mandell

Editor

Lisa Johnson Mandell is an award-winning multi-media journalist and author of Career Comeback--Repackage Yourself to Get the Job You Want.  Her work has been translated into 20 different languages, and she is a frequent expert guest and commentator on news and talk shows. She has been featured in The Wall St. Journal, on the CBS Early Show, NBC Today, CNBC, Fox Business News, Dr. Phil, Oprah.com and many other media outlets.  Lisa discusses her AOL pieces each week and interviews vital guests on the web TV show, This Week in Careers. Learn more on LisaJohnsonMandell.com.

نور الطبيعة

December 12 2013 at 9:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
00885505

This literally helps no one find a job. In fact this may be the very reason that there are so many lazy people in the United States. This is the garbage that was fed to Rancid in Return of the Jedi. The lack of rational thought in this article is easily surpassed by the belly button fuzz I pull out every morning. Worthless cheap idiotic and rather stupid. Thanks for wasting my time I appreciate it with the utmost sincerity.

September 01 2013 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annoyed

This is the single most useless piece of information I have ever read on the subject of job hunting!

September 08 2010 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda A.

As for what attire constitutes appropriate/inappropriate officewear today, well, that all depends on an individual office's culture, but overall, I wholeheartedly agree with you, Darla. I especially agree with your point about showing cleavage, which I feel is inappropriate in ANY office setting regardless of culture, that is, unless you "work" in a brothel. I agree with you, too, John E., about proofreading having vanished with Spell Check. One should NOT rely solely on Spell Check to proof their work! Spell Check is primarily for those who are halfway decent spellers and grammarians to begin with. It's frustrating, though, that the job-hunting tips I find online are, for the most part, geared towards the executive types. (I'm just an "office girl," or admin, as they're called today.) I'd like to be able to afford to take classes at my local community college in order to make myself at least a BIT more marketable. I live in Podunk, U.S.A. (northeastern Connecticut) where jobs in general, and especially decent-paying jobs, are virtually non-existant. (I've been unemployed for a little over five years, now. The last time I worked was July, '05.) I've done the posting-my-resume-online thing, but doing that has only produced scam-job offers; never anything legitimate. I haven't tried the social networking thing, but that's only because I don't DO the social networking thing; I don't do the blogging or the makeup-wearing things, either. BTW, very few of those who are fortunate to have jobs these days work the traditional 8-5 or 9-5 anymore. That's SO 20th Century! Also, are the days of wearing black or navy blue for interviews things of the past? Or, is that also SO 20th Century. (P.S. That purse Kristen's carrying in her "after" pic is UGLY! It's WAY too big -- it looks like a carry-on bag -- and that green color doesn't go with anything else she's wearing! I personally wouldn't be caught DEAD carrying that bag out in public!)

September 07 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Omar G. Hernandez

Interesting and helpful article, but does need proofreading. For example, in paragraph five, "god" should be "God."

September 03 2010 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Omar G. Hernandez's comment
brunchie

OMG, I think 99% percent of the comments focused on what people did and didn't like about her "makeover" and not on the content of the article. I thought this article would be another entry into the mindless fluff that masquerades for articles on the internet. Instead, I found information that is usuable and isn't too taxing. I think I will do this over the Labor Day weekend- how ironic!

September 04 2010 at 6:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

I highly doubt she would have gone to an interview dressed 'before'. She's beautiful to begin with, and if she has the skills and confidence, she should be fine. As far as the makeover is concerned, I have to agree with the cleavage comment, for an interview. It's distracting. I'm also really surprised at the accessories. The right jewelry would have looked more polished and it's best to go with a streamline professional bag. A watch is also a nice touch for both men and women for an interview.

For more interview tips, visit annerondepierre . blogspot . com

August 31 2010 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Rogers

If X employer will hire you now but would not hire you before; you need to find another potential employer, this one is not hiring you for your 'job-skills'. You say you'e 'making a statement'. Just exactly what is that statement? But, if this type of hiring doesn't matter to you, then go ahead and accept. You're job will probably be safe as long as you continue to give your boss what it is you're selling - or - until another female job hunter walks in making an even bigger statement. Behavior-wise it is a fact that the same person with the exact same skills will get hired much more quickly if she makes herself esthetically more pleasing than she was before. Virtually all women know this and make whatever choice suites them best.

August 31 2010 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sum1

I went to the web site -besttopjobs- and the links go to "cannot be found". Do the web sites that these links are suppose to take you to actually exist. Hmmmmm? By the way. I thought that comments were suppose to be about "how to get a better job", not a fasion discussion. And what's up with the bad comments towards the girl in the article. She was trying to make a statement and she made it. Still, there are people putting her down because "they" don't like her after photo. C'mon people, stop being mad at other people because they are that much braver than you are to do the things that you are unabe to do because you're scared. In closing, Do what you have to do to make that money. It's what makes the world go 'round. Good luck and Gods' speed.

August 31 2010 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hipgranma

Everyone with half a brain knows it takes much more than a makeover today
to find a job.
But she does look more professional in the after photos,minus the cleavage.

It's outrageous how many woman I have seen goin to work with an express bus in the morning wearing a really revealing top.

The world has turned on it's axes. Where are our real American values?

August 31 2010 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chi

Finally, a good make-over. She looks great.

August 31 2010 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chi's comment
hipgranma

Kristen was intentionaly made to look bad in the before photos.
If you have keen senses, all you have to do is look around you
in the city, and see what looks professional, and would suit the
position and yourself.

I was a receptionist in the most fashionable areas of the city, and
can no longer find a position.
The problem is the economy, and of course, so many people out of work
the employers can be so picky, and ask potetional job seekers for outrageous
qualifications.

The after look Kristen has reflects a professioal appearance, except for the cleavage.

How dare anyone say American Woman are ugly! NYC is not the entire USA, and
most people are not really "American".

We all know how difficult today's crazy world has become.....

August 31 2010 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.