Don't bother. You could be perfect and they'd find a flaw or a fault. Many companies appear more interested in finding faults, than hiring people. I kind of think your best odds of getting a job come down to if you know someone who works in the company. From what I have seen, if you know the right people in the company, you could get hired AND you can do whatever the heck you want AND get away with it, while getting paid.

August 18 2010 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anonymousbug's comment

If the fault is, you are lazy and can't get anything better believe I will find this fault. If you're talking about the fact that you wear women's underwear on Friday nights....I wouldn't give a flip about that. You could wear them to work if you are a performer and make things happen. Employers do not look for those kind of faults. We only look at people who are not keeping their part of the "I pay you, you work" contract. I would hire an Emu if he was a performer and wouldn't care if he crapped on the carpet every night when he left work. I can get someone to clean that up.

August 18 2010 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Liar advices. Your first impression is that you're white if you're looking for management position. Now if you're seeking a computer job, then you should be Asian. However, if you're seeking public relations job you should be Black. All those advices are actually useless.

August 18 2010 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

So many outstanding candidates and so few jobs. Then again, it's easy to see why some are unemployed.

Great article Barbara. I am self employed and have to re-employ myself multiple times each year. I read this article and took away a few gems. You discouraged job seekers would do well to drop the baggage and open up to new ideas. Read this again and see if you don't find at least one of the 33 points is a "take away".

August 18 2010 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As a former school administrator, having interviewed hundreds of teacher candidates and hired dozens of teachers, I'd add that the coffee deal is not always a bad thing. In fact, one of my favorite interviews I conducted was with someone who I eventually hired. When SHE called ME to request an interview, she suggested that we chat over coffee. She showed up with a big cup of coffee for me, an up-to-date resume, and knock-your-socks-off enthusiasm. Turns out, she is one of the best educators I know. There are exceptions to every rule.

August 17 2010 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I am retired for years but while working for a major automotive company, I did hear and see a lot of applicants. Example: " May I help you?" " Yeah, I'm looking for a job. " " Salaried or hourly? " " What's 'cha got ?" And they would come in dressed in all manner of clothing from purple curly suits to just got out of bed look. I always said on my last day of work when asked what's cha got, I was going to say, " Well you can either shovel shit or be the president " But I didn't ..

August 17 2010 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gloria's comment

Good one Gloria! Too bad you weren't working in HR for BP, then you could have offered them both in one job.

August 18 2010 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Businesses today are about hiring the candidates who have spent the most for their texted, e-mailed, and ghost-written educations. The ones who owe the most money in student loans get the job because they are the ones who are most likely to... kiss ass, lick boots, and brown nose their way into their immediate manager's hearts. It does not matter how old you are, it's how much you OWE!!! I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go... So if your new boss is younger than you even though you were supposed to be next in line for the position, then you know what has been implied in this comment. Hey, if it looks like policy-enforcement toad-snot, then it is ... toad-snot.

August 17 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kami Butt

A good piece to look at for job hunters!

August 17 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Looks like I'm screwed on phone interviews. I haven't paid for a land line since 2004 and I don't intend to start now.

August 17 2010 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Dear Barbara,

Once again . . . you don't have a clue ! !

Get a real job !

August 17 2010 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

16. If asked about your weaknesses, don't spin weaknesses into strengths; it's not credible and who wants to hire someone they don't trust?

Did I read that right? DON"T spin weaknesses into strengths? That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. What, so you're really going to say: "I tend to daydream throughout the day, and am very forgetful." Of course not! The whole purpose of this question is for the employer to know what YOU figured out to be something that you have worked on. You can just as easily say: "I don't have my college degree yet, however I plan on going back to school in the near future." Or, you could say: "I tend to put a lot of things on my plate, so I am focusing more on selecting and prioritizing important activities." It's really THAT simple. Good grief.

August 17 2010 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to pinkplease's comment
Barbara safani

My point is don't be phoney. Don't tell an employer your greatest weakness is that you work too much or you are a perfectionist thinking they will see your weakness as a strength...they won't. Many hiring authorities who ask this question already know your weakness...they have spotted it in your resume...and now they want you to explain how that weakness will not be a liability for their company.

I would have to disagree with you on your examples of weaknesses to showcase in an interview. Telling an employer you lack a college degree but plan to get one doesn't make you a more viable candidate. Proving how you were able to manage your previous job responsibilities with equal or greater success than your college-educated peers would be a more convincing answer.

Telling an employer you are not great at prioritizing but are trying to improve raises a red flag for most employers. Inability to prioritize signals inability to get things!

August 17 2010 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Jen, I don't think you did read number 16 right, or didn't understand it. I wish people would answer the weakness question with your response about daydreaming....and can save time and end the interview...but they don't all the time. I usually have to get rid of this phony response, I get responses like: "I am too ambitious"....or.. "I am too impatient". I then will rephrase the question: "Tell me what areas you feel you need to work on." I seem to get a more thoughtful answer. I personally used to get that questions in interviews as I was climbing the ladder, and I remember an old boss telling me "I need to sit on my hands" (since I was a new supervisor) It took me a while to realize that I had to get my staff working first, before I jumped in. Otherwise, I was just a glorified worker, not a supervisor. So it was a way to say "I am too ambitious", "I am too impatient" "I am a perfectionist" and still get across the message that I had learned from my mistakes. It seemed they wanted an honest answer. So I gave them that courtesy. I also had to convince the employer after that, I was moving forward on this previous weakness.

August 18 2010 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply