90 Percent of Soon-to-Be Brides Plan Wedding at Work

how plan weddingPlanning a wedding can be like having a second job, and for nine out of 10 women it's enough work that they admit to using some company time to make wedding plans, according to a recent survey.

And in the name of love, most co-workers and bosses are willing to put up with a bit of lost productivity, although only a third of the 1,000 women surveyed said they think their work was negatively affected by the wedding plans they made while on the job

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

With many wedding vendors open only during regular business hours, some transactions and conversations must be made between 8AM and 5PM, said Kristin Gast, 24, of Minneapolis, Minn., who didn't take part in the survey, and is getting married in July 2011. Gast, who blogs about her wedding plans, told AOL Jobs in an e-mail exchange that she can successfully get her wedding planning done during her lunch hour or after she's done with work for the day.

"Most of what I do is simply searching for inspiration, reviews and recommendations online -- and not actually planning, which comes later on in discussions with my fiance, friends and family," she wrote, adding she spends about two to five hours per week during work breaks searching online for wedding information.

Hours of planning required

The survey by TheKnot.com, WeddingChannel.com and ForbesWoman.com showed that women spend about 10 hours a week planning their wedding, and nearly 30 percent of it is done at work.

The survey also found that 20 percent of women admitted that more than half of their wedding arrangements were done at work and 41 percent said they did it whenever they could. But only 15 percent said that someone at work had commented about it.

Bride-to-be Andrea Bailiff, who works at a marketing website, told AOL Jobs that since a wedding is only one day, and unless you're inviting your whole company, it's best to keep the wedding plans to a minimum at work and remember that not everyone will be understanding.

"You've got your job to return to after your honeymoon," Bailiff wrote, "and if you slack or if relationships become estranged because of wedding planning at work, you may not have a job to return to!"

But time-sensitive wedding decisions do come up during work hours and need to be addressed ASAP, said Bailiff, who tries not to spend company time planning her wedding but has made the occasional phone call or sent an e-mail related to her wedding plans during work.

Employers often understand

Working as a nanny in 2004 while planning a wedding was a great job for Daphne Butas because of the regular breaks when the 8-year-old twins she was caring for were in school. Butas, now a freelance writer in Washington, D.C., said in a telephone interview with AOL Jobs that her employer told her that making wedding plans while running errands for the family and other job duties was OK as long as it didn't interfere with her work. It didn't, and she ended up doing 60-75 percent of her wedding planning while working as a full-time nanny.

"Sometimes I kind of felt bad about doing it at work, but my boss was fine with it," she said.

Bailiff agrees, at least partially: "I think when you're engaged you do have to prove yourself at work during that time – I work hard and don't give the impression that I'm planning my wedding at work (even though I may answer the occasional phone call or send the occasional e-mail)," she said. " I do tend to talk about my wedding plans with my colleagues and friends at work. I think this is more acceptable than surfing through the The Knot website at work."

Filed under: Workplace Solutions
Aaron Crowe

Aaron Crowe

Editor

Aaron Crowe is a freelance journalist in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Nickk Mindcrew

Wedding plan with gifts for guests, the absolute gift registry website gives you freedom to craft an exclusive online gift registry from Any Store Any Where in the World or on the Web. Host and share your gift registry with friends. Start your wishlist. Your Wizgifter online gift registry is easy to manage, secured, and provides an instant access to you.

August 17 2013 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

A former co-worker planned her entire wedding on company time. She even used the office computers and printers to design her wedding invitations! I was totally outraged when she asked me (on work time) to proofread her invitations. I was not invited to the wedding, but I heard about it. The reception was at a friend's home, and instead of being allowed to use the bathrooms in the house, the guests had to use a rented Porta-Potty in the backyard. Nasty!

August 02 2010 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brandy

When my husband and I were planning our wedding he did more of the research because his job allowed him back to back days off while mine being a retail manager had me on call most of the time. Then we saw how much we were looking at spending we said enough was enough and got married in Myrtle Beach while we were on vacation visiting my dad's family. Plus we were married in Atlanta Braves hawaiian shirts and sandals and a pair of khaki shorts and we had our wedding guests wear whatever Hawaiian themed outfits tbey wanted. It worked for us.

August 01 2010 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brandi

A girl at work was recently terminated for the amount of personal time she spent at work planning her wedding. First, buying a house, then the wedding. She worked in Sales and her low sales numbers vs amount of wedding planning caused the company to let her go. I would be careful about that sort of thing.

August 01 2010 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
noname

There is so much bias toward unmarried people in the workplace. Single people are the hardest workers yet they're somehow viewed as irresponsible social outcasts who have no lives, only their work because they don't talk and text every half hour to their significant others or spouses on worktime..what a twisted world we live in. Oh by the way, I doubt they'd be as sympathetic at the workplace toward the woman making wedding plans if she's over 40. Bias within bias and the wheel keeps on turning.

August 01 2010 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TurnOfftheBoobTube

I remember at a job years ago one of our secretaries was planning her SECOND wedding, and it was such an all-out, involved affair it almost felt like everyone AT THE OFFICE was getting married.

I asked this young woman if she felt EVERYONE should be married, and to my surprise she disagreed. Even this enthusiastic second-bride-to-be had enough realistic fortitude to know marriage isn't for everyone, and that any person with even a doubt about their ability should not go there.

August 01 2010 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
irene

I've seen several women at work registering for wedding gifts online! I get making a few phone calls here and there, but really?

July 30 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to irene's comment
Sue

Maybe try minding your own business?

You don't know that they aren't on a different break or lunch time.

How is planning a wedding and taking time out of the work day to make calls ANY different then mommies taking calls from their little princesses and princes to hear about how they made POO POO today? Hmm?

THAT makes me sick!!! Mothers are nothing special, if they want to owork, then fine, go for it, but don't think your children can excuse you from WORKING!!!!

August 01 2010 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John J. Bluvas

I go nuts when I read about all this wedding crap.Women make a mockery out of the whole meaning of a wedding.They spend lots of money and most cheat and divorce in two years or less.

I am a dinosaur I suppose since I told my lady that I would marry one time and do the best job at it that God would allow me to do.So we were married at a Navy Chapel,had two witnesses and the marriage only lasted 58 years and 2 weeks before she died.Cost was $8.00 for a license.
I know women who have had 5 and 6 husbands and still seek more.That is INSANE to me.

July 29 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John J. Bluvas's comment
kassy

I agree. This is just insane. It's ONE day ... an important one to be sure ..... but the expense and "showing off" are no way to start out married life. I read recently that $25,000 is an average cost for a wedding. This is sheer madness. You can put a downpayment on a first home with that money.

And this attention to "showing off" does not augur well for a happy future. So many of these flashy marriages are over in under five years. Then that spoiled blushing bride has to wonder how she's going to manage on her own with kids and lower income. What an introduction to reality. Stupid
nonsense.

If I were so fortunate to find someone to share my life with, I would be happy with a party in a friend or family member's garden, with a tasty home baked cake and delicious home made food. A simple wedding with fresh garden flowers and pretty dress ... I can make as pretty a one as can be bought, for the cost of the fabric ..... under $200. Lots of laughter and real enjoyment of each other's company. Both my sister's did it this way. Both are still married.

August 01 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S.

Yeah, unfortunately I sat in the cubicle next to a co-worker who planned her entire wedding for six months. I had to hear the endless conversations, the arguments with various relatives over the phone, etc. And you say the place of employment should support wedding planning because married women are more productive in the workplace? And what are single people? Dead weight? You must be kidding....single people get dumped on all the time with extra work because the married folks have to get home to pick up their kids. Get a life.

July 29 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jiayou2s

One reason why wedding planning may be supported at work is because the women are more serious about their career after getting married. The survey found that 38 percent of the women think being engaged and married has a positive impact on how they are perceived at work.btw,I'm a doctor,33 ,rich but still single.It's hard to get a girlfriend in my town ,most of them like my money more than like me.I just want to find my true love.so i uploaded my hot photos on seekwealth y .co m under the name of hot561.u dont have to be a millionaire,but u can meet one there. ..if you girls see this comment,i hope you will check my photos out there.maybe you are the one who i'm looking for!!!

July 29 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jiayou2s's comment
anni

The last thing I wanted was all my co-workers expecting to come to my wedding. Where would it stop. Some I didn't want to come. I had one friend from work come, but asked her not acknowledge it at work because I didn't want hurt feelings. After my vacation time (honeymoon) I came in and told the receptionist people might call asking for me by another name, then told others later. When people said "I didn't know you were getting married", I replied, "oh,...I am so happy I did".

July 29 2010 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.