Confessions of a Motel Maid

motel maidI have been a maid in a motel for 16 years. I've seen good things, and lots of strange things.

When I think back at all the times I've had, I can only laugh and be thankful. For example, I remember on a Saturday morning, about a year ago, I had started on my list of rooms as on any morning. I knocked on one door three times (as stated in our motel's policy) and got no response, so I unlocked the door. The guest had left the television on -- but that didn't surprise me, as it happens all the time. I then noticed a distinct smell lingering in the air. I immediately started looking around the room, under the bed, and finally in the bathroom.

When I pulled the shower curtain back, I saw the most frightened puppy I've ever seen. Seems that the customer had left the puppy behind because it was infested with fleas and had worms. Both were nothing a flea dip and vet couldn't fix, so I grabbed that poor puppy and took him home. And in no time I found a home for that cute little boy.

I also remember a time I cleaned a room for a couple who were living for an extended time at the motel. They seemed very nice and polite. The lady appeared to be in her late 20s, her mate, in his early 30s. They dressed well, and seemed like good people.

On this day, I realized that for three days I had not seen them, but the room needed cleaning, and it was time to wash the spread. When I got in the room I pulled the spread off. Next, I went for the pillow cases, but I noticed that the pillows were heavier than usual. I looked inside to find the pillow cases full of marijuana and cocaine!! From looking at the couple who would've ever thought? Of course, we called the police and turned over the drugs, and I never saw that couple again.

Lots of motel customers actually bring their own quilts, blankets, sheets and pillows, trying to be safe of bedbugs. Some still trust that we don't have bedbugs, which my motel does not, thankfully. There was a big drop in check-ins when it was discovered that hotels and motels were the biggest carriers of bedbugs. Thankfully, we seem to have now recovered from that bad press.

Every motel has a system that lets you know what rooms are occupied and which are not; that system led to my most embarrassing moment ever.

One morning, Room 219 was documented as "unoccupied." I knocked three times and proceeded to go in with my master key, only to find two undressed people lying in bed! That nearly scared me senseless! I screamed. They screamed. We were all ashamed! I was ashamed for coming in. Blaming myself for not knocking four, five or six times more. They were ashamed for being seen, not hearing the knock, or not placing the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. That's a mistake I hope to never make again, even if I am a motel maid for 16 more years.

foreigntrade4

Wholesale Clothing Brands,Outdoor Jackets、Free Jackets、Down Jackets、Boots、The North Face、Canada Goose、Mamort、Mammut、Arcteryx、Columbia、Supras、Nike、Ugg、Asics...

October 11 2011 at 5:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kbower2009

I work in a hotel and trust every single one of my housekeepers. They don't steal from our guests and I think it is wrong to assume that they would. Maybe you shouldn't be so racist.

May 24 2011 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
just2toonice

Laughing tha somebody would want to be called housekeeping in a hotel verses maid.. Ummm.. It is not a house.. get over it..

November 26 2010 at 8:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
a person

i like this story...its interesting

November 26 2010 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pyrochick

What the MAID didn't tell you was what they walk away with and what they do every day. They take clothes out of suitcases, they take your pain medicines, they take anything that you leave in the room when you are out. I ALWAYS clean the room myself and request new bedding to do MYSELF while I stay there so that I do NOT have a MAID come in the room and go through my things. I make sure there is a sign on the door requesting no maid service for the days that I am there. No wetbacks gonna rip me off!!!!

November 26 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jasatt

I recently learned a lesson. If you plan to stay over an extra day and make arrangements with the front desk, they do not inform housekeeping! Even at a 4 star hotel. I did that, left my laptop on the desk and double checked that the door was locked. When I returned a few hours later the door was propped open with the door latch. I am still in shock that my laptop was still there, but the housekeeper entered my room a few minutes later without even knocking and she left and soon a supervisor appeared and asked me why I had not checked out yet. I think in the future I will check out and in to another room.

November 26 2010 at 7:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
swedams

I have worked both sides-front desk and housekeeping--a majority of housekeepers are honest but you will have those that are druggies and are poor too. Housekeepers work hard everyday for little pay and I always thought if I had my own hotel I would pay them much more money than they get. They deserve way more for the work they do. A little tip--maybe leave a fee dollars for them everyday and a note showing your appreciation for their hard work--you do it for the bellman, doorman and valet-so why not them too-Just sayin.....

November 26 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Bijoou

On a trip to Houston I didn't want to wear jewelry out to the hotel pool, so I stuck some of it wrapped in tissue stuffed in the toe of a pair of dress high heels and put the shoes carefully back in the closet. When we got home from the trip I felt for the tissue in the toes of the shoes and found everything was gone. The hotel maid or whoever found and took the items was in for a big surprise. It was all inexpensive costume jewelry and the only reason I put the items in the shoes was so I would exactly remember where they were if I decided to wear the shoes.

November 26 2010 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pwanless

I never understand why some people, especially a hotel maid who by her own words has seen a lot of strange things, would scream at the sight of two naked people in bed. Talk about uncivilized...as if such a thing is uncommon at a hotel! You just apologize for disturbing them and leave, perhaps asking if they would like you to hang the Do Not Disturb sign on the door on your way out.

At Japanese hotels, the maids don't care about your state of dress and would do exactly that.

November 26 2010 at 7:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dee

This is INSANE!!! Having traveled alot in my life, how do you forget anything?
The last thing I do, is check every part of my hotel/motel room (for the third time) to make sure I didn't leave (or forget) anything. Hey, I do this before I leave the house, when I'm going to that H/M!!! If I leave anything it is because I don't want it anymore!!!

November 26 2010 at 7:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply