If you've recently lost your job in New York, you may be eligible for New York Unemployment Insurance benefits. This is a guide to filing your claim for New York unemployment benefits. Since each situation may have its own unique circumstances, make sure you check with the contact numbers and websites listed below to make sure you get the maximum benefits you can claim.
Filing for Unemployment:
Unemployed New York workers can file an initial claim for unemployment benefits one of two ways:
- Online – File your initial unemployment claim on Benefits Online Page (M - Th, 7:30am to 7:30pm; F, 7:30am to 5:00pm, Saturday Midnight through Sunday 7:00pm)
- Telephone – File your unemployment claim by telephone at 888-209-8124, (M - F, 8:00am - 5:00pm)
File your claim right away after you've stopped working – don't delay. Your claim starts the week you file. Unemployment benefits are not retroactive, so if you delay you may lose benefits.
- Name, address & phone
- SSN & date of birth
- Name, address, phone number, gross earnings, occupation, dates worked, and reason for separation for all employers for the past 18 months
- If you were discharged from the military in the last 18 months, you'll need Copy #4 of your DD Form 214
- If you were a Federal employee in the last 18 months, you'll need SF 8 or SF 50 (or W2 or pay stubs)
- If you are not a US Citizen, you'll need your Alien Registration Number, expiration, and type
- Driver's license or Motor Vehicle ID card number
- Blank Check if you want direct deposit
After filing your initial unemployment claim, you will receive a Monetary Determination notice, describing benefits, eligibility and giving additional information.
Filing Your Weekly Claim:
New York weekly unemployment benefits are based on your the average weekly earnings, up to a maximum of $405 per week. Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) currently adds an additional $25 per week to your benefit.
Unemployed New York workers can file weekly unemployment claims one of two ways:
- Online – File your weekly unemployment claim Benefits Online Page
- Telephone – File your weekly unemployment claim on TEL-SERVICE at 888-581-5812 (M - F, 7:30am to Midnight, 12:01 Saturday through Midnight Sunday)
You should expect to receive your Direct Payment Card within three weeks of your initial claim. Going forward, benefits will be paid to your card within 48 hours after filing your weekly claim.
You should expect registration for direct deposit to take approximately 5 business days. You should expect to receive benefits into your direct deposit account within 3 days after filing your weekly unemployment claim.
Filing for extensions:
If an extended benefit period is declared, based on unemployment rates, and it appears that you qualify, you will be notified with instructions to extend your unemployment benefits.
When you return to work, file for credit for the remaining few days you didn't work, and report wages earned for the week. Then, just stop filing - when you stop weekly filing, your unemployment benefits automatically end. You may also let a claims representative know your first day of work.
Make sure to keep a copy of your work search record. You may be required to supply copies to the New York Unemployment Division.
If you get a busy signal, call back later in the week - The Telephone Claims Center is slower Thursday and Friday afternoon.