Atlanta is one of the fastest growing major cities in the US, and the Atlanta metropolitan region is 8th largest metro area in the country. Atlanta has the 3rd largest number of Fortune 500 companies within city limits, and over 75% of the Fortune 1000 have operations within the Atlanta metropolitan area.
Unemployment Rate of Atlanta Metro Area:
Atlanta unemployment rate was 9.7% according to April 2011 statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, April 2011 report.
Top Industries in Atlanta Metro Area:
The current fastest growing industries in the Atlanta metro area are:
- Telecommunications – led by AT&T, Cox Communications, and Dish Network
- Business Services – Led by Accenture
- Defense – Led by US Army
- Health care – Led by Grady Health System, McKesson, and Devereux Foundation
- Insurance – Led by AON
- Retail – Led by Sears
The current best paying industries in the Atlanta metro area are:
Top Companies in the Atlanta Metro Area*:
- Delta Airlines – Delta Airlines is the world's largest airline. Delta, number 11 of the Fortune 500, and its subsidiary Delta Connection operate over 4,000 daily flights to over 375 locations. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Delta employs approximately 25,000 people in the Atlanta area.
- Wal-Mart – Wal-Mart is the nation's largest retailer, and is growing as Americans seek low priced products during the current recession. Wal-Mart, number 2 of the Fortune 500, has 17 Wal-Mart and 9 Sam's Club stores in the Atlanta metropolitan area. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Wal-Mart employs over 24,000 people in the Atlanta area.
- Emory University and Health System – Emory University is one of the top 20 universities in the country, and serves over 11,000 students. Emory Healthcare, Georgia's largest health care system, operates and manages over 1,100 patient beds in 20 hospitals and health centers in the greater Atlanta region. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Emory University and Health System employs over 21,000 people in the Atlanta area.
- Gwinnett County Public Schools – Gwinnett County Public Schools is the largest school district in the Atlanta metropolitan area. The Gwinnett County School system operates 123 schools and has an enrollment of over 158,000 students. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Gwinnett County Public Schools employs over 20,800 people in the Atlanta area.
- AT&T – AT&T is one of the world's largest telecommunications companies, and number 8 of the Fortune 500. Atlanta area employees manage the company's regional land line, data, wireless networks, as well as the company's advanced IP, networking, home entertainment, local and long distance services. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that AT&T employs over 20,500 people in the Atlanta area.
- Cobb County Schools – Cobb County Schools are the second largest school district in Georgia. The Cobb County Schools operate 114 schools and educate over 106,000 students. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Cobb County Schools employs over 15,600 people in the Atlanta area.
- DeKalb County Schools – DeKalb County School District is the public school system serving Georgia's second largest county. DeKalb County Schools operates 143 schools and educates over 102,000 students. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that DeKalb County Schools employs over 14,000 people in the Atlanta area.
- US Postal Service– USPS delivers mail to over 149 million addresses in the country. USPS processes over 28 million pieces of mail per hour. The Atlanta region not only operates post offices and manages mail carriers, but also operates an Atlanta area large bulk mail center to streamline delivery. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that USPS employs over 10,200 people in the Atlanta area.
- Publix – Publix is the seventh-largest grocery chain in America. Publix, number 101 of the Fortune 500, has over 120 stores in the Atlanta metropolitan area. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Publix employs over 9,200 people in the Atlanta area.
- Home Depot – Home Depot is the 4th largest retailer in the United States, and the largest home improvement retailer. Home Depot, number 25 of the Fortune 500, is headquartered in the Atlanta area. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that Home Depot employs over 9,000 people in the Atlanta area.
Top Atlanta Jobs in need of workers:
Top Atlanta metro area employment trends**:
- Atlanta area work from home opportunities decreased 64% since October 2009.
- Atlanta area consulting opportunities decreased 63% since October 2009.
- Atlanta area outsourcing opportunities decreased 13% since October 2009.
Atlanta attitudes and employment outlook:
Atlanta is projected to grow an above average 47.8% through 2025. As the economy recovers, Atlanta's strong base of corporate, public, education, and health care jobs should grow considerably.
-- Find jobs in Atlanta, Ga
** According to SimplyHired Employment Trends