Trenton is the capital of New Jersey and the seat of Mercer County. Located near New York City, the city fell on hard times in the 1960s and 1970s. Trenton's economy has been on the upswing in recent years, with healthcare companies and the nearby Princeton University providing numerous employment opportunities.
Unemployment Rate of Trenton:
The unemployment rate of the Trenton area was 7.5% according to April 2011 statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, April 2011 report.
Top Industries in the Trenton Metro Area:
The current fastest growing industries in the Trenton metro area are:
- Sales – Led by Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Management – Led by Fresenius Medical Care and HCA Healthcare
- Health Care - Led by Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield and General Healthcare
- Skilled Labor/Trades – Led by Walmart and AAMCO
- Professional Services – Led by General Healthcare Resources
- Nursing – Led by HCA Healthcare and Bayada Nurses
The current best paying industries in the Trenton metro area are:
Top Companies in the Trenton Metro Area:
- Macy's – Headquartered in New York and host of the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Macy's owns approximately 800 high-end department stores in the United States.
- Robert Half Finance & Accounting – The parent company, Robert Half International, is an American staffing firm. Robert Half Finance & Accounting is the full-time financial, tax and banking personnel department for their parent company.
- General Healthcare Resources – GHR's primary role is to provide outstanding nursing, pharmacy and therapy personnel to hospitals and health care facilities. They have been established since 1993 and offer both temporary and permanent staffing solutions.
- Comcast Cable – Generally referred to as simply "Comcast," they are the largest cable television and high-speed internet provider in the United States. Comcast provides their services to 39 states as well as the District of Columbia. As of January 2011, Comcast had acquired a majority stake in NBC Universal.
- Robert Half Technology – A member of the S&P 500, Robert Half Technology is one of eight divisions of the parent company, Robert Half International. Robert Half Technology specializes in providing information technology and systems consultants to companies in need.
- Walmart – Headquartered in Arkansas, Walmart was the world's largest public corporation in 2010 by revenue. They currently have 8,500 stores in 15 countries. With nearly 2 million employees, it's no surprise to see Walmart on a "top ten" list such as this one.
- Bayada Nurses – Founded in 1975, Bayada Nurses is committed to providing top-tier health care in the home. They are headquartered in Moorestown, NJ and employ over 13,000 nurses to help fulfill their mission.
- Ernst & Young - Headquartered in London, England, Ernst & Young is one of the so-called "Big Four" accounting firms. The company's activities consist mainly in doing financial audit work for other corporations.
- Princeton University – Chartered in 1746, Princeton University is one of eight Ivy League universities and home to approximately 7,000 students. They provide education in the fields of humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and engineering.
- Saint Christopher's Hospital – With over 180 pediatricians on staff, St. Christopher's is a leading resource for parents in the Southern New Jersey and Pennsylvania areas. Specialties at their Sewell, NJ location include cardiology, neurology, orthopedics and sports medicine.
Top Trenton Jobs in need of workers:
Top Trenton metro area employment trends*:
- Trenton area work from home opportunities decreased 70% since October 2009.
- Trenton area consulting opportunities decreased 10% since October 2009.
- Trenton area outsourcing opportunities decreased 13% since October 2009.
Trenton attitudes and employment outlook:
Trenton, NJ is projected to grow by 3.1% through 2018. As the economy continues to recover, Trenton's strong base of health care, education and customer service jobs should grow.
-- Find jobs in Trenton, NJ
* According to SimplyHired Employment Trends